Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand

M1 Garand

the banner suggested that i submit a post, since i haven't been active recently.

i've been reading, enjoying, but had no comments.

i've still have my 289 FIA, and drive fairly frequently, esp now that the wet spring and hottest summer months have passed.

i have discovered a new hobbie. long story short, i was invited to a police shooting range, and took a pistol my father gave me (assume he brought it home from WW2) a 1911 army issue 45. at the range, the cops were very impressed with the gun, suggested that it was too unique to shoot, should be considered a collector's item. and that sparked an interest in guns.

i found a similar, but modern production pistol at pawn, a colt model 80. and then the interest grew.

did not know it was possible to obtain much less shoot a M1 Garand, the main rifle from WW2 and Korea. maybe some of you would be interested also.

There is a Civilian Marksman Program that reconditions army surplus rifles and makes them available to the public. there are some minor restrictions, but esentially any citizen can apply for a rifle. i got mine after a very short wait, and am very pleased with it. i've applied for a M1 Carbine, will know soon if successful. the CMP also sells ammo for the M1 at greatly reduced prices.

shooting this old rifle is a real thrill. esp considering how important it was protecting our country. i want get this quote exactly right, but Gen Patton declared the M1 the most important one weapon of WW2.

the link to the CMP is http://www.odcmp.com/

hope i've haven't bored you with this thread, but again some may be interested.

doug

Thumbs up

DM, variety is the spice of life! Having other hobbies is as important as drawing breath; it keeps you invigorated.

While I've never bought a rifle from the CMP (keep waiting for M14's to show up....), that program has made an immense difference to an awful lot of people. So many hi-power competition shooters got their start from them it's impossible to count. And the Garand is an awesomely accurate rifle, too - a big part of what makes target shooting so rewarding.

Enjoy, Doug, and the next thing we'll get you going on is reloading - a hobby all unto itself. Next you might want to try shooting the mousegun (AR15), since they're as different from the M1 as the 1911 is.

You've discovered a hobby that will keep you going for so long you'll wonder where the years went.

-Roger
    Yeehah

yes, i can see that my interest keeps growing. i now have a ruger mini 14, which i selected over the AR15 type rifles because of its classic looks. just looks like a military rifle of the '40-80's periods.

waiting to see if my application for the carbine is accepted, opens tomorrow.

doug

Very cool Doug,
    My dad fought in WWII and I have a picture of him in a truck with a carbine next to him.

I to have an interest in WWII guns and rifles. I just haven't started my collection. I will check out the CMP.

Went to a local gun show and after seeing the prices of the M1 and the carbine I wish I had bought them 20 years ago when they were $200.00
    never used surplus. Oh well what are you going to do.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thumbs up

CMP is how I got my Garand.. I shoot a AR-15 in the high power league. It is always an inspiration to realize that my dad in WWII carried one of these and they weigh a ton compared to my AR heavy barrel.

Ralph

I started shooting NRA Hi-Power with a match Garand that had been converted to .308 (OK, 7,62x51) by the Navy, then moved on to a custom built M-1A (M-14 clone) Super Match Springfield. I now have an AR-15 I want to build into a match rifle but, between the Cobra build and my insane travel schedule I don't have much time to shoot or reload any more. But when I retire and have more time...
    Bill Stradtner
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

CMP headquarters

CMP is located right here in Anniston, Alabama. When they were spun off from the Army depot, they started with one little building. Now their shops pretty much dominate the little industrial park they're located in!

You ought to hear the stories from my uncle and various neighbors that work at the depot: M1911's being fed into grinders, etc.

Mini-14 Ranch Rifle - that's one fine coyote/varmint gun. Need to get out and sight mine back in now that fall's on us!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

thanks for the response to this thread,

i'm not an experienced shooter, and would like to know what is considered an acceptable level of marksmanship. for example, shooting from 100 yards, standing with no other support for the rifle, what should be an acceptable diameter of the group? sitting with the rifle supported by one's knees? prone?

i've searched some sites, but so far haven't found a difinitive standard. i would have thought the military would have a standard defined for marksman, sharp shooter, etc.

any help will be appreciated.

anxiously awaiting the opening of applications for the Carbine, opens tomorrow.

I used to do a lot of shooting before moving to Seattle. I was able to hold a 12" group with my Thompson 7mm-TC 14" barrel and open sights at 200 yards in the Creedmoor position.

I gave up silhouette shooting for IPSC (http://www.ipsc.org/)competition. I had nice Caspian hi-cap .38 Super build that is just awesome. At my peak I was able to complete two shots, reload, and complete two more shots all within 1.5 seconds from the holster and be on target for all four shots. I'm sure I couldn't do that today. It helped to be a member of an indore range that let me practice from the holster.

I also have a Ruger Mini 14 that is a lot of fun and I used to compete on my high school riflery team competed in a few biathlon (skiing with a rifle on your back).
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

YA,LL lost

me. Who is cmp, I should know that.I like to shoot the ruger mini 14. Tis death on mr. coyote.Sad story--4 to 5 yrs. ago, here in anniston, old ww11 fellow with mi garand, lived next door to fella i work with , his son decided to have the old fella declared crazy and get his propety--have the old fella committed, was the ploy.Old fella heard and understood what was taking place said over his dead body and m1 garand. Well anniston --in this case, gestapo--attacked the old fellas home-teargas, and burned his house, killed him. Neighbor i work with said if he had known all this was coming down he could have talked to the old fella and averted it all, cause he talked with him all the time, the man was not craxy at all.His son had convinced the officials . Will-alabama

Smile

Doug, As I recall going throught the CMP we did standing , kneeling and prone 1 sighting shot and 3 shots in each position at 100, 200, and 300 yds. In the CMP there were no winners or losers you got your score on where you tagged the target. They will or should teach you how to use the sling to get maximum support (tension) for stable shots in the various positions. They will or should explain breathing keeping you eyes open and stuff like that ENJOY!!

Ralph

Doug;
    If you want to learn about shooting Hi-Power, I rec. any book by G. David Tubb. He is a national champion many times over and has a lot of really good tips on shooting and loading.
    Bill Stradtner
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

Wink

DM, all the above is truly GREAT advise! So much to learn with any new game.

I'm thinkin your best learning is going to be in the doing - get on out to the range and SHOOT that piece! CMP ammo reasonably priced, so use it on up. The carbine is a rip to shoot too, virtually no recoil and decently accurate.

With regard to acceptable accuracy, much depends. How old are you? - I'm 54 and the eyes ain't nowhere near as good as they useta be. These days, shooting 2-1/2" to 3" groups with a K98 Mauser (150 grain bullet) is a fine day indeed. My M1 carbine will usually go 3" to 4"; the AR's will go 2" to 2-1/2". All those are with iron sights - put a 6-power scope on the Mauser and 1-1/2" is typical, and the AR with a 24" barrel and 12 power scope will be 5/8" on 10 shots. Mind you, these are sitting on a front rest....freehand will go up about 2" for me on average. Again, much depends on your style and practice. Shooting off a benchrest will give you a good idea of what the rifle has in it...be aware that most rifles are capable of shooting much better than you (no insult intended, you are assured!). Practice, practice, practice....squeeze the trigger, don't yank it; sight on the same spot every time and don't worry about where the bullets hit the target; you can adjust impact point easy, it's group size you want to concentrate on. Shoot at least 5 shots, and preferably 10, before you go making any adjustments.

Practice, practice, practice. Makes a world of difference
    Yeehah

yes, a new hobby is exciting, and can be expensive.

i've got a long way to go to reach the standards for accuracy that you have cited.

cmp ammo is really cheap, and i've ordered almost 1000 rounds, not shot anywhere near that, only about 100.

and old eyes make the sights kind of fuzzy.

i've been practicing in the back yard with a springer pellet gun. and enjoying that a lot also. this is a RWS # 48, has a muzzle velocity almost the same as a 22 rim, weights almost 10 pounds, doesn't have real recoil, but when the spring releases, there is a definite pop.

thank you all for the advise, and cross fingers that my carbine order was accepted.

doug

Shoot it

I've shot high power and still shoot three gun matches with my wife. Shoot the 1911. It as a handgun that is almost 100 years old and very little has changed, it was done right the first time. I built my wife one in 9mm, her favorite rifle is an old Quality M1 carbine, I still love my M1A's.

Shoot the pistol, if your worried about wearing it out learn how to reload and use cast lead bullets, much less wear on the gun and substantial savings if you shoot alot.

My wife gave me one of a few hundred special editions Colt King Cobras. Its a love hate thing. She says I can't shoot it, I will before its over with.

I had a Springfield 1911 that got used a lot in stock class competition. That is a great gun. I would recommend that anyone with a 1911 have the ejection port opened up a little so it will clear a loaded round reliably. I learned the hard way on that one .

I also have an old Colt Combat Commander. It's in rough condition. I wonder if it's worth more as is or restored.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

as is

Most information you look at will show that a firearm is worth more as is. If you plan on keeping it rework it, if not don't. Some values go down as much as 25% after refinishing.

Quote Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
    Most information you look at will show that a firearm is worth more as is. If you plan on keeping it rework it, if not don't. Some values go down as much as 25% after refinishing.
    The guy I bought the Commander from was not the sharpest Crayon in the box. He filed the half cock notch off the hammer. That was replaced and I had the trigger reworked. The slide is a little sloppy and the blueing is worn.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

My dad was a carrier army man (full bird) fought in South Pacific and Korea. Told some great stories. Brought back from war his 1911 army issue 45 (some of which can be worth up to $25,000.), an M1 and Carbine (still in the original packing), a Japanese ? that looks like a German Lugar, and a Samuri sword from an unfortunate Japanese who crossed over his fox hole one night. The best, which I have, is a Colt Ace which is a 45 barreled to shoot 22 cal. Army used for target practice and not waste 45 ammo. I don't know how soldiers fired the M1 without going deaf.
    Bob

well, this new hobby has grown, and is expensive.

since i opened this, i've added a M1 Carbine, a modern Colt 1911, series 80, and a ruger 22 pistol. joined a rifle range, and wish the road to the range was in better condition, that would allow me to drive the Cobra out and back. how could it get any better than that?

i had a thought recently, i know how to do a lot of things, just don't do anything very well.