Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1 Garand

I just ran across this post and thought I'd mention a few weapons that I have.

My dad was in WWII in Germany and brought back a Luger that he took off a German officer and a .30 caliber carbine (which I have). I also own 3-.22 caliber single shot rifles, 1 AR7 .22 cal survival breakdown model, 1-Colt AR15 with 3-30 round banana clips, a Browning .380 automatic (this first gun I ever fired as it was my grandfathers), a .22 magnum single action Colt, a .22 cal. automatic pocket model, a matching numbers 1857 single action Colt .45 with 5 1/2" barrel,a matching numbers Colt Beasley 44/40 single action with 5 1/2 barrel and a Ruger .45 automatic P80 model for my personal carry fire arm.

All of my weapons are in excellent condition and I don't really know what the value of them are today. I imagine that both Colts with matching numbers are relatively rare and my .30 carbine are worth some money. The others are just guns that I have collected over the years.

Hope you don't mind me adding my $.02 worth on this post.

PS I qualified with an M1-Grand and it didn't seem all that loud to me at the time...the M 14 was louder and I didn't like it nearly as much as the M1 Grand and the .30 cal carbine that I carried in Germany. I think that my Ruger .45 is louder than both...in my humble opinion.

Regards,

Terry
    289 FIA with SA 351 in progress.
    Last edited by tcolley; December 27th, 2007 at 06:37 PM.

going deaf

Thats why the majority of the soldiers from that era were suffering from permanent hearing loss as they grew older. It doesn't take many shots from a 1911 to damage your hearing. The M1 carbine is worse than the M1 Garand. Just use hearing protection whenever you shoot. Jet engine whine is bad also, different frequency though.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tcolley View Post
    I..........PS I qualified with an M1-Grand and it didn't seem all that loud to me at the time...the M 14 was louder and I didn't like it nearly as much as the M1 Grand and the .30 cal carbine that I carried in Germany.
    ? - uh.......not to be rude, but was it your father or you that brought back the weapons?

We qualified with a bunch of different weapons in 1970 (including the Garand and M1A), but wound up equipped with M16's.
    Yeehah

- uh.......not to be rude, but was it your father or you that brought back the weapons?
    My dad brought back both the Luger and the .30 caliber carbine at the end of WWII...they wouldn't let me bring back my .30 caliber carbine nor my 1911 Colt in the 1960's!

I always use ear protection when I shoot! My hearing is bad enough from open exhaust racing engines for the past 30 years. I now use ear plugs inside my helmet even at open track days. If I don't I can't hear anything for about 1 hour after getting out of the car.

Terry
    Last edited by tcolley; December 27th, 2007 at 09:23 PM.