Thread: FE Header bolts

FE Header bolts

Anyone know who makes the header bolts used on the FE engines? During my 200 mile shake down (apart?) cruises, I lost two of them (on different cylinders) Didn't find any loose ones on the others.... go figure!

I know I can take one to the hardware store and find a suitable replacement, but I'd rather replace them with like bolts that are already there.

- Jim -
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim, Any of the parts store headerbolts will work. They are all the same.

When you need to change the header gaskets use the copper ones.
    They also don't let the header bolts go loose.
    Last edited by Naumoff; September 3rd, 2007 at 01:39 PM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thanks Tony, in fact when I removed one of the existing bolts, I found they were too short to add a flat and lock washer to it, so I went to True Value and got longer ones, 3/8-16 X 1 if I remember. I'll replace the gasket too, but that will be a day or two coming from Summit. I've used the copper ones on the other car and had good luck with them, so I ordered them for the FE too. Found a couple other loose nuts and bolts on the bell housing, so I picked up lock washers for them too.

Ever hear the the difference between a Chevy and a GMC truck? They put lock washers on the GMCs!!!!

And guys, don't take that remark as an insult to the hard working crew at Unique. I just like to use lock washers or locking nuts/nylocks on anything I fix or fabricate. An ounce of prevention and all that rot.

I hate to spend this day under the car, man has this been a real nice three day weekend. The better half and I spent most of yesterday burning up a tank of gas just to see what the MPG would be. Not bad, but lets say that dinner was more expensive than the gas it took to get there!!!

- Jim -
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Good deal Jim. It's good to crawl around under your car once a month anyway.
    I had put flat washers on my headers because the flange holes are just that big. No lock washer but I checked them today and they are all still tight. Did a little cruisin' after diner. Filled the tank up and just made a quick run. Yesterday I went up to Severna Park to a family cook out and drove back at night. Great weather here. Took a relatives boyfriend from Chicago for a ride and we had a nice stretch on rt 2. Let's just say I had enough road for 4th gear.
    He was speechless.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Wink Header Bolts

Us ARP 12 point Stainless Steel header bolts, the 12 point head is easier to tighten and the 12 point SS has excellent tensile strenght with no rust. If you have aluminum heads they should be fine after going over them 2-3 times. Leave the hardware store stuff to your lawnmowers and wheelbarrows.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

ARP makes that bolt drilled for safety wiring, ala NASCAR. I got mine from Summit using a part number I got from ARP.
    Bill Stradtner
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

There are a variety of locking header bolts out there like Stage 8. Of course the ARP drilled for safety wire is a great choice as well. I like to use two studs, and the rest bolts. I put one stud on each end that gives me a place to hang the gasket and the header during install.
    http://www.ohiocobraclub.com
    http://www.londoncobrashow.com