Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part 8 – Repairing the Hood

Part 8 – Repairing the Hood

An unusual modification that was done to my car by the previous owner was the removal of the hood hinges and addition of hood pins. A lot of work went into this modification as you will see by the pictures, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what value this had. You would have to lift the hood off and set it aside somewhere just to check the oil. Anyway here’s the reversal of that modification.

This first picture shows the holes in the hood for the hood pins

This is the underside of the hood; you will see that the hinge backing plates have been cut out and the area recessed and fiber glassed to accommodate the hood pins.

The first step was to remove what had been added and prep the area for new fiberglass.

I have filled in the hole in the top side of the hood in this photo.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Here is the form I mocked up to lay the new fiberglass on.

I had to fabricate new backing plates for the hood hinges.

And now the tricky part; To keep fiberglass resin from bonding the backing plates to the form material and to have large enough holes leftover for hinge adjustment I cut some short pieces of copper tubing and assembled them with the backing plates to the form material to keep the fiberglass resin from leaking in where it wasn’t wanted.

Several layers of fiberglass.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

When it was all set I removed the copper tubes and sanded down the excess.

Time for the bondo.

Primer and Paint.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

And everythings back to normal.

To be continued…
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Nice job, ever thought about moving to Alabama?

Alan

Rod,

You're a talented guy.... and close too!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Nice work!

Very nice glass work.
    Looks a lot better back the way it was susposed to be.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Excellent work Rod.

Good thing your close to Phil.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Rod,

Nice work!!! I've been in pain just thinking about realigning my hood .... Your efforts are uplifting to the less talented and ambitious (that would be me!)

Bob

Thumbs up Good Job

Very nice work, I bet it feels good to correct all the screw ups on that car.

I like it.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Thanks everyone, I'm getting a little more serious about getting the car done. I can sort of see a little light at the end of the tunnel. Plan to pull the body off soon so I can finish the welds I could'nt get to and send the frame off to powder coat.
    Alan- Alabama would be great but its a little to far from the grandson.
    Phil- come on by some time, we're really close .
    Bob- The hood is easy to adjust, just take the radiator out first
    Rick- It doe's feel good to get another piece of the puzzle put together.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up

I was wondering when you were going to surface again, Rod. Nice work, as usual! Hope you can make it east again this year.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Hey Paul, You're up late, oh so am I. good to hear from you. How is the house project coming?
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Slowly!

We are working on the cottage right now, since it is smaller and presumably quicker to build. I have been trying to get a plumber for several months now. The city does not let homeowners (without a license) pull plumbing, electrical, or mechanical (air conditioning) permits, so it is very limiting. I am finishing up interior framing and installing the last few windows. I'll get the electrical started as soon as the plumbing is squared away.

The good news is that the roof is on, and the gable end soffit and fascia is done. I'll get the rest of that as the siding goes on.

I remain optimistic, but it is taking a looooong time. I guess it is kinda like the Flintstone Cobra and the Spence car!
    Last edited by Slither; September 18th, 2007 at 11:36 PM.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Quote Originally Posted by Slither View Post
    Slowly!

We are working on the cottage right now, since it is smaller and presumably quicker to build. I have been trying to get a plumber for several months now. The city does not let homeowners (without a license) pull plumbing, electrical, or mechanical (air conditioning) permits, so it is very limiting. I am finishing up interior framing and installing the last few windows. I'll get the electrical started as soon as the plumbing is squared away.

The good news is that the roof is on, and the gable end soffit and fascia is done. I'll get the rest of that as the siding goes on.

I remain optimistic, but it is taking a looooong time. I guess it is kinda like the Flintstone Cobra and the Spence car!
    Paul sorry for your troubles but this is a good thing.
    Plumbing codes are derived to avoid health issues.
    Most house fires are from faulty wire installations.
    And the air conditioning has environmental hazardous material in them.
    As well as sizing and air flow design issues.
    Licensed Master tradesmen are regulated to protect the public.
    Anybody can put some pipe together, wire nut some wires, and put some ducts up but believe me you just don't want anyone doing it.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Rod

adjusting the hood--I jack front of car up a bit, take long extension -reach up and loosen nuts with hood closed, then go topside place hood where it should be--care to have hood clear paint/adjoining front/nose when you raise it, then tighten nuts back down. When raising the hood go slow to be sure it clears paint and adjoining front/nose of car .You have come a long way, admire your workmanship.Tonight I will install a new alternator, gm, modify it a bit to fit an old ford.Tis fun for the soul tinkering with these cars.Keep on trucking buddy cause we are learning stuff from your experience.Will-alabama

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Anybody can put some pipe together, wire nut some wires, and put some ducts up but believe me you just don't want anyone doing it.

!! ........Tony. Spoken like a true believer. Do you really think he's unqualified; that he's just anyone? It is appropriate to license people who work for hire in those activities that constitute a clear threat to human life - but that ought not preclude individuals who are able, but not licensed, from doing work for themselves.

Even New Jersey (that bastion of integrity) permits homeowners to do their own work - including masonry, plumbing, hvac, electrical, carpentry - in short, ALL trades. The catch is that they cannot sell the structure for a minimum period and must tell future buyers that the structure is not covered by an outside warrantee provider.

Somehow I got to believe he's capable of sweating a joint or pulling some Romex thru the walls.

p.s. - BTW, my son is a IBEW lineman; please don't think I'm a disbeliever.
    Last edited by TurnpikeBoy; September 19th, 2007 at 02:28 PM.
    Yeehah

Even the country of California allows homeowners to be owner-builders. everything needs to be done to code but they don't really care who doe's the work.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnpikeBoy View Post
    !! ........Tony. Spoken like a true believer. Do you really think he's unqualified; that he's just anyone? It is appropriate to license people who work for hire in those activities that constitute a clear threat to human life - but that ought not preclude individuals who are able, but not licensed, from doing work for themselves.

Even New Jersey (that bastion of integrity) permits homeowners to do their own work - including masonry, plumbing, hvac, electrical, carpentry - in short, ALL trades. The catch is that they cannot sell the structure for a minimum period and must tell future buyers that the structure is not covered by an outside warrantee provider.

Somehow I got to believe he's capable of sweating a joint or pulling some Romex thru the walls.

p.s. - BTW, my son is a IBEW lineman; please don't think I'm a disbeliever.
    Why should I not believe. I went through a four year apprenticeship with W2s for proof before I was even eligible to even take my Journeymen test with references from two contractors and the master I worked under. Then another two years with W2s under a Master before I was eligible to take my masters test with references again from two contractors and the Master that I was competent.
    I have seen what homeowners and bootleggers can do. Scary I have never been in the Union either. Everything looks easy when a trained professional does it.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post

I have seen what homeowners and bootleggers can do. Scary
    it depends on the homeowner. for most thats probably true, but, ive seen a few pros that can hack pretty good too. thats one reason why they have permits and building inspectors. later, brian.