Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Part 8 – Repairing the Hood

Quote Originally Posted by brfutbrian View Post
    it depends on the homeowner. for most thats probably true, but, ive seen a few pros that can hack pretty good too. thats one reason why they have permits and building inspectors. later, brian.
    This is true and it goes for any profession. Doctors, Lawyers,mechanics, etc. ,etc. There are bad eggs out there and no amount of training can make them better.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I’m sure there is plenty of un-permitted un-licensed and un-inspected work going on in the gulf area given the magnitude of the situation. If a homeowner comes to the city to get the proper permits the city should be doing everything they can to help him with that process, since that is the only way they have of regulating what is being built. Any kind of professional license should have nothing to do with a homeowner working on his own home. His ability to do the work properly will be determined when the inspections are done. The “hack” jobs that are being referred to are no doubt the result of un-permitted, un-inspected work or someone being paid off. Let us remember that there are families still living in FEMA trailers and in conditions that the rest of us would not put up with on a camping trip. A piece of paper saying that you are a “Professional” should be low on the list of requirements for putting your life back together.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Why should I not believe.
    Agreed - you most certainly should. You paid your dues, and that's why you're paid to do work for hire. Paul is looking to do it for himself, and that's where we disagree. The fact that he doesn't do it for a living does NOT disqualify him to take care of himself, or make him automatically incompetent. Should we all need to be members of the SAE to be able to build our Cobras? - and please don't say they're not a hazard to the public !!
    Yeehah

Quote Originally Posted by RJacobsen View Post
    I’m sure there is plenty of un-permitted un-licensed and un-inspected work going on in the gulf area given the magnitude of the situation. If a homeowner comes to the city to get the proper permits the city should be doing everything they can to help him with that process, since that is the only way they have of regulating what is being built. Any kind of professional license should have nothing to do with a homeowner working on his own home. His ability to do the work properly will be determined when the inspections are done. The “hack” jobs that are being referred to are no doubt the result of un-permitted, un-inspected work or someone being paid off. Let us remember that there are families still living in FEMA trailers and in conditions that the rest of us would not put up with on a camping trip. A piece of paper saying that you are a “Professional” should be low on the list of requirements for putting your life back together.
    If there was the fore site to have in place booklets with diagrams of plumbing venting and pipe sizing and basic training for homeowners
    wanting to do there own work and qualified inspectors to check the work
    I don't see why not. (maybe I should call FEMA) After having everything taking away I wouldn't want someone to take two steps forward then two steps back. Pay out money on material then have to cut it out if it was installed with improper venting. Joining pipe is not that difficult to do, but if you use the wrong cement you will have a problem. that is just one example. No one in the Gulf area has to pick up a torch. Did you know that you are not suppose to use a saw on plastic water pipe? I wish there was a better way.
    When we build our Cobras we have a lot of support and if we have a problem we have a lot of people to ask for help. Is there a website for homeowners to go to to ask question about an issue with the build on their home? Maybe there is. I didn't mean for this to high jack the thread.
    Sorry.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Wink

Ah, Mr. T, SOMEbody hadda do it!!

Not like you didn't have help, either......
    Yeehah

If there was the fore site to have in place booklets with diagrams of plumbing venting and pipe sizing and basic training for homeowners
    wanting to do there own work and qualified inspectors to check the work
    I don't see why not. (maybe I should call FEMA) After having everything taking away I wouldn't want someone to take two steps forward then two steps back. Pay out money on material then have to cut it out if it was installed with improper venting. Joining pipe is not that difficult to do, but if you use the wrong cement you will have a problem. that is just one example. No one in the Gulf area has to pick up a torch. Did you know that you are not suppose to use a saw on plastic water pipe? I wish there was a better way.
    When we build our Cobras we have a lot of support and if we have a problem we have a lot of people to ask for help. Is there a website for homeowners to go to to ask question about an issue with the build on their home? Maybe there is. I didn't mean for this to high jack the thread.
    Sorry.
    Tony, I agree with all the above, and you are right about the potential of having to do things over. I just think that a City policy of not letting homeowners work on their own property is way too restrictive, especially in an area that is struggling to rebuild as it is. As a licensed California Contractor I too have seen my share of shoddy workmanship so I know where you’re coming from. Most homeowners probably shouldn’t work on their own homes but if Paul wants to do it then let him. Besides, it looks to me that he can get the advise he needs right here.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

OK Rod. Maybe I can reciprocate my license and pull the permit for Paul's cottage.
    Tony

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    OK Rod. Maybe I can reciprocate my license and pull the permit for Paul's cottage.
    Wow this has taken quite a turn! Sorry to derail the thread, Rod.

I appreciate your offer Tony, and I would have taken you up on it, but I pulled the plumbing permit a few weeks ago, myself! It made it much easier to get someone onsite once that barrier was down.

It is a shame that the trades are holding folks hostage down here, especially for the last few years. I suspect that those regulations not allowing the homeowner to pull permits for their own property will fall by the wayside before long. As most have suggested, not in so many words, we need basic property rights. A man is really only king of one thing, and that is his castle. It matters little if he does a crappy job on it, if it is his choice.

The plumbing is close to being done, and I did not do much of it 'cept get the materials, mount the water heater out on the back wall (tankless), and cut the bottom of the tub/shower down. I needed to lower it so I could put a window above the top for lighting (had to build a custom-engineered header for that to fit, and ran the numbers to make sure). I guess I could call it the Flintstone tub, and then it would fit better into this thread. A licensed plumber did most of the work. I dare say that it would have been a nicer job had I taken full responsibility for it, but done is GOOD, VERY GOOD!

I chose to use type-L for all my copper, with schedule 40 drain (no Orangeburg), and Wardflex for the gas. I had figured how much copper I needed, and guess what... exactly what the plumber figured, and it was correct to within 3ft.

I am using ductless mini-splits for the A/C, which will provide redundancy and better climate control for each level in the tower of terror (tall skinny building), and have just today finished with the compressor mounts.

The wiring rough-in for electrical and security is all but complete, though that was hired out as well. It was interesting having all of them in the building at the same time. Made my head spin trying to keep up with helping each one get through the day.

Interestingly, things are slowing some down here in building. The initial boom, primarily fixing up the homes that were still standing but only flooded, has ended. Very little new residential construction seems to be happening, and most of the transient tradesmen have gone home now.

You are correct when you say that "you just don't want anyone doing it." I'd rather do it and know that it is done right.

But, I get your point, and agree with you. If someone is not capable, but still pulls their own permits, they should NOT hire some hacker to do what a licensed professional should be doing. I suspect most of the issues lay where someone bypasses the permit process and hires a hack, and not where they do their own work. Keep in mind I said most!

Tony, once we start the house, I'll take you up on your offer. You can come down with the wife (in the Cobra, of course, with your tools in the trunk), have a little RnR, and we'll knock out the plumbing. Make it in February when it is nasty weather up there. We can put you up in a FEMA trailer for atmosphere!

Thanks for the support guys.
    Last edited by Slither; November 11th, 2007 at 10:17 PM.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Paul I am glad things are starting to move for you.

RnR and knock out the plumbing sounds good. It's not this February is it?
    Cobra would be out of the question. My engine broke.

I think you should just stay in the cottage. The way energy prices are going. Save the money for the toys.
    Tony

Exclamation

....... My engine broke.
    What, again?? What in the world happened THIS time? Must be a big block thing.....

Paul, moral support from here - truly glad to hear that things are finally moving. Hard to believe that whole situation has gone on this long; bet you're looking forward to your own mantle to hang your Christmas stocking this year. Best of all to you and yours.
    Yeehah

Small blocks break too.

I just have 16 bent valves, 16 bent push rod and a sheared off crank woodruff key.

It is nothing compared to what Paul is going through.
    Tony

Wink

Small blocks break too.
    Yeah, so I've discovered. Just not so frequently.

Nor as extensive.

It is nothing compared to what Paul is going through.
    Man, is that ever the truth. We've had a life-disruptive events in the past - but nothing as comprehensive as Katrina, and the misery that has caused.

We're all with ya, Paul. If there's anything you need that would make life better (short of a million or so....), just let us know.

-Roger
    Yeehah

Good to here from you Paul. I was begining to wonder where you were
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Thanks Guys!

Tony, you are spared, as it won't be this Feb... but maybe next year. Sorry to hear of the mishap with the engine.

Roger, it won't likely be by Christmas this year, either... but maybe not too, too long after that (crossed fingers).

Rod, I've been layin' low trying to keep momentum up on the project... when I logged on it said it had been almost two months since I was last on... wow time is going away!

PS a million or so sure would come in handy!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Rod,

I just came across this and thought of your project.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

I could fix that
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.