Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark plug question ???

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    i would consider rerouting the wires, you can still have a nice look. one of my wires rubs against the footbox on the pass. side, i sleeved it with insulating sleeve used for brake and clutch lines, you could also use wire loom.
    If I had a longer wire, perhaps...I guess I will just keep an eye on it from now on!
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
    If I had a longer wire, perhaps...I guess I will just keep an eye on it from now on!
    Looks good David. You have the old style boots at the distributor. Almost forgot about that style.
    When you go to replace them. Get them so you can cut them to length and route them the way you want.
    I guess if you are selling the engine let the next guy worry about it.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I install my wires close to the lower surfaces of valve cover and heads. The accelerator linkage then has sufficient clearance for free operation. I've seen too many Cobra Replicas (Including Uniques)with free flying wires sliding against linkage rods. 90 degree boot angles allow for a close tuck. If you do it right the wires have a natural curve around the covers without a tight look.
    -Geary

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Looks good David. You have the old style boots at the distributor. Almost forgot about that style.
    When you go to replace them. Get them so you can cut them to length and route them the way you want.
    I guess if you are selling the engine let the next guy worry about it.
    Nah, I'm keeping it...so, which 8mm wires can i get that i will cut to lenth, have the old style boots, and have the 90 degree boots for the plugs that Aggressor is refering to. Also, should I go with suppressor wires or solid core?
    I put a Bluestreak cap and rotor on yesterday, much more heavy duty, but I am trying to get used to the bluecolor!
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

Nah, I'm keeping it...so, which 8mm wires can i get that i will cut to lenth, have the old style boots, and have the 90 degree boots for the plugs that Aggressor is refering to. Also, should I go with suppressor wires or solid core?
    I put a Bluestreak cap and rotor on yesterday, much more heavy duty, but I am trying to get used to the bluecolor!
    I painted my bluestreak cap black.

I have Accel High-temp super stock spiral core 8mm wires. But they have straight boots.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Those wires look great!Are the plugs ends straight or 90? I see the caps ends are 90 deg, so when you said straight, did you mean the plugs ends?
    I tried painting my bluestreak on my old vette, the paint had soime issues sticking, and I did all the right thing to prep the cap
    Last edited by davids2toys; September 25th, 2007 at 04:50 PM.
    Dave

Those wires look great!Are the plugs ends straight or 90? I see the caps ends are 90 deg, so when you said straight, did you mean the plugs ends?
    I tried painting my bluestreak on my old vette, the paint had soime issues sticking, and I did all the right thing to prep the cap

Yes my plug ends are straight. Aggressor's plug ends are angled. The cap ends being 90* gives it a neater look. Number one is also set straight back so the wires will look nicer.

I just scuffed, cleaned and painted my cap and it is holding up very well.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
    I install my wires close to the lower surfaces of valve cover and heads. The accelerator linkage then has sufficient clearance for free operation. I've seen too many Cobra Replicas (Including Uniques)with free flying wires sliding against linkage rods. 90 degree boot angles allow for a close tuck. If you do it right the wires have a natural curve around the covers without a tight look.
    -Geary
    Can you tell me which wires you have? Are they 8mm?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Yes my plug ends are straight. Aggressor's plug ends are angled. The cap ends being 90* gives it a neater look. Number one is also set straight back so the wires will look nicer.

I just scuffed, cleaned and painted my cap and it is holding up very well.
    I may have to try this painting gig again!!!
    Dave

Update:
    Well, it is 3 years later and I am putting new wires on. I decided to pull a few plugs to see how they were burning and guess what, no deposits at all, nothing!!! These Autolites R-45 's have 5000k on them and look almost brand new
    The Champion RF9yc 's I took out 3 years ago looked to be burning perfect, nice tan color. I am thinking maybe to hot or cold a plug. A buddy of mine said no deposit at all means it is running to lean?
    I am contemplating going back to the Champions. What do you guys think?

Any input would be appreciated...Dave
    Dave

Update:
    Well, it is 3 years later and I am putting new wires on. I decided to pull a few plugs to see how they were burning and guess what, no deposits at all, nothing!!! These Autolites R-45 's have 5000k on them and look almost brand new
    The Champion RF9yc 's I took out 3 years ago looked to be burning perfect, nice tan color. I am thinking maybe to hot or cold a plug. A buddy of mine said no deposit at all means it is running to lean?
    I am contemplating going back to the Champions. What do you guys think?

Any input would be appreciated...Dave
    I don't know what experience your buddy based his too lean theory on..... but I've never heard that a plugs heat range had anything to do with an engine running too lean or rich. That's a carb/injection issue. If the plugs aren't fouled, I wouldn't do a thing with the heat range of the plug you're using.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

I agree with Jim. I'd also keep with the Autolites given they still "look like new"....... use the same plug
    Mark
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Autolite

I agree, stay with the Autolites, a nice clean brownish color is what you want.

I used Champions ONE TIME,,,,my FE did not like them at all, after 300 miles they went in the trash.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harding View Post
    I don't know what experience your buddy based his too lean theory on..... but I've never heard that a plugs heat range had anything to do with an engine running too lean or rich. That's a carb/injection issue. If the plugs aren't fouled, I wouldn't do a thing with the heat range of the plug you're using.
    No, I was the one who was wondering about the heat range of the Autolites vs the Champions... My buddy just stated that no deposits at all would be a sign of running to lean and suggested increasing jet sizes in the carb.
    i made no changes except the different plugs, that is why I was wondering about the heat range difference.
    So I am stumped, why would I all of a sudden run lean by just changing to a different plug?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    I agree, stay with the Autolites, a nice clean brownish color is what you want.

I used Champions ONE TIME,,,,my FE did not like them at all, after 300 miles they went in the trash.
    Yes, I know, that is what the Champions looked like 3 years ago, these Autolites are spotless with no color at all!
    Dave

As much as I don't want to, for now I am getting a new set of Champions, and run then until winter and see what they look like. At this point in the summer I don't want to start screwing around with the carb jetting.
    I will put the Autolites to the side and decide what to do later
    Dave

Dave, changing sparkplugs wouldn't require you to do anything to the carb, let alone the jets. That would come into play only if you were running rich or lean.
    Mark
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
    Dave, changing sparkplugs wouldn't require you to do anything to the carb, let alone the jets. That would come into play only if you were running rich or lean.
    Mark
    I know, that is why I am changing back to the Champions for now. When I went to the Autolights three years ago, the champions that were in the car were burning perfect! Now I checked the Autolighhts after 5000 miles and there is almost NO deposits at all!
    So rather than try to adjust the carb to the autolites, I am opting to return to the Champions for now.
    You will understand better if you read this tread from the beginning.
    Dave

Wink

Dave;
    Did you ever paint your cap? A couple of years ago I called MSD about another problem and asked them if they made a black cap to fit the wide dizzy. At the time they didn't, so I asked if it was OK to paint my cap. I had two techs on the phone and they both just about choked to death trying to say "NO" (something about severe electrical shorting and the end of the world as we know it if I did it). If our last election cycle was any indication at least half of that came true, but how about the severe shorting?
    Bill
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

Quote Originally Posted by sllib View Post
    Dave;
    Did you ever paint your cap? A couple of years ago I called MSD about another problem and asked them if they made a black cap to fit the wide dizzy. At the time they didn't, so I asked if it was OK to paint my cap. I had two techs on the phone and they both just about choked to death trying to say "NO" (something about severe electrical shorting and the end of the world as we know it if I did it). If our last election cycle was any indication at least half of that came true, but how about the severe shorting?
    Bill
    No, it is not painted!
    That sounds pretty stupid to me, how in the world could paint on a cap cause shorting unless the paint had a conductive agent in it and you sprayed it into the holes where the wire ends would go
    I think they must have thought you wanted to paint the inside of the cap...!
    Dave