Thread: Part 9 – Steering column

Part 9 – Steering column

If you thought that by now that you had seen all of the strange things that had been done to this car you would be wrong. The next repair/cobble reversal has to do with the steering column. For some crazy reason the column had been shortened. The following picture shows the approximate position of the present column and shafts. Missing from the picture is a large Heim joint welded to a piece of steel plate that anchored the column end to the foot box top.

This picture shows the length of the column (about 23” overall) and circled in red is where the cut piece had been welded back together.

I have to admit I was a little nervous about trying to lengthen the column and shafts because of the serious nature of any potential weld failures, but decided to go ahead anyway.
    I started by adding about a 6” length to the steering shaft. The next picture shows the un-welded pieces laying in a piece of angle iron that I clamped them onto to keep everything straight.

This shot is after welding and grinding.

Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Then it was time for the column housing to be lengthened. I used the angle iron method again with the newly lengthened shaft installed to help line things up.

Here is the lengthened column, now about 29” long.

Here it is installed in the car, the column is still shorter than original to allow room for the vibration dampener that I used. The intermediate shaft was also cut to fit.

To be continued...
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Rod,

Keep the updates coming ... they're captivating!

Will do Bob, there is a lot left to do.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Rod,
    Looks good.

I have a ring with a set screw that goes on the column shaft and up against the housing to keep it from sliding out.

What keeps your shaft from moving out?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Rod, I found a picture of one in the gallery.

Picture by Eliminator. Thanks Rick.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Just when you think you've seen it all another oddity pops up. Your work looks good.
    -Geary

Tony, I have'nt tracked down a collar for the shaft yet, but I left enough of it sticking out to do the same as you mentioned. Good call, you guys don't miss a thing
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

Oh and by the way I had that same picture sitting on the air cleaner as I was sizing everything up, Thanks Rick

Last edited by RJacobsen; September 26th, 2007 at 06:44 PM.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.