Thread: Southern Automotive 452 CI Engine

Southern Automotive 452 CI Engine

I called Bill Parham at Southern Automotive Engines last week and he made me aware that he is producing stroker 406's using a new Scat Crank. As I recall horsepower was something like 525. I forgot the related torque figure.
    Price under $7000 for base model.
    He said it's a real torque-monster
    Not a bad deal !!

-Geary

You can't beat that price for what you get. I went for a ride last summer in John Kerr's of Crendon Replicas in England He had a 452 in his demo and it has plenty of torque. Ask bill for a little less lumpy came John changed the cam. I guess with the automatic and the twin Paxtons the cam is going to be totally different anyway.

Jim has a 452FE in his new Raffle Unique Cobra.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

The SA FE452 dyno sheet indicates 512 HP @ 5700 and 518 ftlbs @ 4400. Nice lumpy cam. Probably could get the torque and HP to peak at something lower if you swapped out the single plane intake for a dual plane. According to the spec sheet that came with my motor, the base price for his "406 super FE stroked to 452 CI" is $8500. Add a bunch of other necessary stuff and some real cool bling, and his price goes up to 14K.... that's the one he built for my car.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

I have the same type of motor that was put in Jim car 452 SuperFE, except I think Jim's motor was polished. He is right, I just pulled the dyno sheet from my sales packet. However, I just got my car so I have never heard it run or felt the power. Jim, have you driven the car yet? I can not wait to start mine but I am sure the neighbors are glad it is still in the garage.

Hi Phillip, and welcome to the gang. The new car runs great, and that is a modest report. I've only managed about 600 miles on it due to a lot of other things going on in my life, but believe me, when the opportunity strikes, I'm in for a ride! Mine came with the TKO600 5 speed and I like the OD 5th gear at highway speeds. The song from the side pipes almost disappear. Almost as quiet as the under car exhaust on my other Unique.
    You're neighbors might have issues too.... cranking mine up early on a Saturday morning (6:30) to meet my club members for breakfest no doubt wakes few of them, but so far no complaints have been made.
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim,

When are you going to bring that monster to the Vienna Inn so the rest of us can have a look? Supposed to be good weather tomorrow - let's get with the program! And glad to hear you're finally getting the time to put some miles on it.
    Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Hi Gary,

I've made one trip to the VI a couple weeks ago... had to be the one you missed!!! We have some out of town guests coming in this weekend, so tomorrow doesn't look all that good.... unless I can convince the male half to rise early and join me. (how many "r's" in FAT CHANCE?) You going to make the fun run at Rehoboth this year?

- Jim -
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Thanks Jim. My first choice was a TKO600 but bailed due to I ran out of $$'s. Now I am wishing I spent a little more cash for the TKO. Maybe this is something I can do later in the future(few yrs from now). I will stick with the toploader for now.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I will stick with the toploader for now.
    There is nothing wrong with the top loader. In fact, it would have been my choice had I had a say in how the car went together. Now, with a few miles under my belt with the TKO, I'd give this a nod first..... maybe...:-)
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim, I am running a close ratio toploader and I really like it.

Maybe we should hook up and see which is better to run through the gears. I drove a guys BDR with a TKO500 and wasn't impressed with the gearing or the shifting.
    The shifting felt weird to me. It seem to want to be treated lightly and I couldn't pull the gears to hard. Maybe I just needed to get use to it.

I was thinking of changing to a 600 but I don't know after not really liking the 500. The gearing in the 600 is better
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harding View Post
    You going to make the fun run at Rehoboth this year? Jim -
    Yup, I'll the there, and look forward to finally seeing your car.
    Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Yup, I'll the there, and look forward to finally seeing your car.

John and Tina are meeting us at the Bob Evans (301 and 50) in MD Friday morning at 10:00, afterwhich we'll motor on over the bridge together. If that fits in with your travel plans, meet us there, if not see you at the beach!
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland