Thread: Paxtons

Paxtons

Well I've finally done it. The order was just sent for my Paxton blowers and related parts. The blowers are being made by Craig Conley at Paradise Wheel in San Marcos CA. They will have SN60 housings for the look with ungraded SN2000 internals.
    I have an interesting road ahead fabricating blower brackets, idler assemblies, and reshaping my fiberglass hood closer to profile the original twin Paxton.
    I'll post photos as I go.

Note for Alan: Our phone conversation in late July pushed me over the edge. Thanks for the nudge.
    -Geary

Thumbs up

Wow Geary, congratulations on taking the plunge I'm sure to follow this mod with real interest. If you can perhaps you can do a step by step write-up and post to the Blog.

Ralph

That is fantastic Geary!

Definitely be watching this one close.
    Last edited by Naumoff; October 3rd, 2007 at 03:03 AM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Your my Hero

Wow! Keep us posted I am extremely interested in this same project.
    Will it look something like this? Do you have any pics of a hood that has been modified?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Scott have you seen my hood in the members gallery photos?
    OR
    Were you refering to the original?

As far as the engine I'm trying to get as close to the look as possible in my Unique. The image you have is the one developed in Jim Inglese's New England shop. (Cobra Automotive)I was invited to see their development efforts in the late 1990's. The twin Paxton Kirkham replica was being outfitted with this setup at that time. The only thing I would question is a potential reversion problem with boost from two sources ending up in common runners. The reason for use of the Edelbrock X-F66 intake on the original cars was to isolate the blowers to intake plenums with no common crossover. In other words your FE is now split into 2 uneven firing 4 cylinder engines. I guess it all balances out in the end. I wish I could use my GT500 dual quad but the X-F66 is correct.
    Also notice that, if you enlarge the engine photo, the blowers suck hot unfiltered air straight off of the heads. Although there is a ring holding a coarse wire mesh across the blower opening the only good I can see is that neighborhood Dogs, Cats, Birds, and Small Children won't be drawn in.

All 11 gauges and the 1st hood reshape have been in place since my build in 2001. I have the blowers to install and some hood resculpting (2nd pass) to do yet.
    It looks as though there will be major clearance problems to solve with the steering shaft assembly and left hand blower.
    Attached are 2 original Supersnake photos.

-Geary
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.

Geary,
    I was looking at my steering column and was comparing it to original photos of Cobras. It looks like the steering wheel column goes through the dash lower and at a sharper angle. The original column is in the foot box not on top.
    being lower but on a sharper angle raises the bottom of the steering wheel to keep the clearance from your legs. The dash opening on the original is slotted vertically.

You might be able to change the angle to have the column run through the top of the foot box in the engine compartment and out the front between the brake pedal assembly and the accelerator pedal.
    I haven't done any measurements but was just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by Naumoff; September 30th, 2007 at 07:04 PM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Tony, Your comments are always appreciated.
    Attached is an image from the Bill Wurth restoration. The steering shaft appears come out through the front of the footbox and passes between the header pipes. The blowers should be in-house two weeks from now and than I can start critical measurements. From study of photos and adding projected sight-lines I might be able to modify the Unique setup. With the addition of a vibration reducer on top the footbox to extend and widen the downward angle I may be able to grind a smooth arc for necessary clearance in the outer sealing flange. The ground area should be low enough to be out of sight I don't have blower dimensions so this is just conjecture at this point.

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; August 14th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.

From looking at the pic and the position of the blower from the head I don't think you will have to get to crazy.
    Tony

Just talked to Craig Conley. The Paxtons are freshly painted and appropriate badging installed. Should be here in about 5 days. I will provide photos when they arrive.

Outstanding!!!!

Please keep us informed and wear out your camera.

Very nice.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Blowers and carbs just arrived.

The adventure begins.

-Geary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA130119SM.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	1217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA130120SM.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	1218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA130121SM.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	1219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA130118SM2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	1220  

Last edited by Aggressor; October 15th, 2007 at 12:56 PM.

SWEET!

I can't stop drooling
    Tony

Very Cool
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"