Thread: New kid in town

New kid in town

Well I am living proof dreams do come true. I got my DPK from Unique 4 weeks ago. About 7 yrs ago I started doing research on cobras, went to Home Coming and was hooked. I purchased a DPK with a SuperFE 452 from SA with a toploader backing it up. Pulling the car home was an adventure. Like I have heard others say, “These cars attract more attention than a dead body in a parking lot” and I can vouch for that now. The car was on a trailer head home and I saw the following, tons of looks, thumbs up, little kids in SUV's climbing from the front seat to the back as they went by me. While in traffic I had 3 guys ask what type of car, when I told them 427 cobra, I could see one guy say, "I told you". That is what I saw; there is no telling what I did not see because I was focused on getting home safely. What will it be like once the car is done? I assume getting gas once the car is done will take longer.

So veterans sharpen your pencils (IE:keyboard) because there is a new freshman on campus and there will be questions. At this time the car will not be painted until January, so during the next 4 months what can be done to the car? Right now I am plumbing the fuel system, working on throttle linkage and a host of small items like safety wire the front brake rotors. Once the body is off, I plan to drill the holes for the heat shield and maybe the wiring harness. If anything above I should not do, please let me know. Alan is shipping me a build manual soon. He had to burn more copies.

Posting pictures so I am not sure if they are done correctly. You can see in one picture, my son. He is my partner in crime and this is a project for us. I am not sure how much help I will get when cartons are on. The car was not home 3 days and it has already marked its territory in the garage. The source is an unsealed drain plug on the oil pan.

All advice welcome and I plan to post pictures during the build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyCar 006.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	1173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyCar 005.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	1174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyCobra 004.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	1175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyCobra 018.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	1176  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyCobra 036.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	1177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyCobra 033.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	1178  

Welcome Phillip.
    You can do it all and leave the carpet out, don't paint it and Drive it. Work out any bugs or issues.
    Then take it back apart and have it painted. Are you painting it or is a shop painting it for you? The wait for a shop to paint it will kill you.
    It was the hardest part of my build.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Welcome and Congratulations

You've made a great choice and will never regret your choice of manufacturer/engine builder.
    Yeah, just wait until the public hears her fire up. You think heads are turning now?
    What brand tires do you have mounted to the Trigos? Make sure you get a good alignment (if not done already). That's when you feel the "sportscar" in the "muscle car".

Tony, I am having a professional do the work. There is one thing you never want to see in my hands and that is a paint gun. I love the mechnical side. Yes, it is about to kill me waiting to get it painted. The wait is on my side, I am trying to save the $$'s. I expect to carry it to the painter in January. The weather here has been great in the evening and not having the car ready is driving me crazy.

Dave, Yoko's 295x50 and 245x60 Avid S/T. I may have bought the last set from the TireRack. Unique had them balanced. Alignment is real important to me. So I will need some help in this area. I want sports car handling because I love twisty roads. I can not wait to get up early one morning and run through the gears. All the stress from the week before will just melt away.

What will it be like once the car is done?

Worse - much worse... and you'll be grinning more than you were on your transport home.
    Just remember to go easy on the load pedal. Be smooth with no sharp movements on throttle, steering, or brakes.
    Congrats

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; September 28th, 2007 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks Geary, some advice I plan to use because I never plan to be on YouTube for letting my right foot over load my lack of experience.

Just a quick Post Script:
    When you get an import tuner in your face next to you at a light be gracious. Be kind. You can afford to be generous. Remember the experience.. the knowledge base you have and he lacks.

But if that don't work .. smoke'm. Embarass and disgrace him. Show him what warping time/space/dimension is all about.
    To quote Elwood Blues "Hit It!!!"
    (Carefully)

"The ground rumbles and shakes, eyes and nostrils sting from high octane vapor, ears are battered by percussive sound - All is right with the world."
    (Don't know where I heard this quote but I like it)

Stay sport-minded
    -Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; September 29th, 2007 at 07:10 PM.