Thread: What else do I really need?

What else do I really need?

I have been researching this project now for at least 2 years. I plan to purchase th deluxe pallet kit. When I look at the kit options page the obvious thigs jump out like brake/clutch accelerator petals.,but what else. Aluminum firewall and skirts? Lookin for some help so that I can accurately budget this. Thanks

Pedals come with the DPK.

I would get;
    55. Aluminum Foot Box Heat Shield 240.00
    75. Sportsman Racing Harness (Black)(each) 95.00 Do you want the e-brake set up? I would get the set up through Unique. I did and it is nice.
    Do you want wind wings and visors?

I didn't see it listed but the aluminum for inside the nose opening. Helps guide the air through the radiator.
    Canton catch can for the cooling system.

It is hard to list everything but you will need a bunch of little stuff if you are budgeting that you don't need to get through Unique. Fasteners, radiator hoses and pipes etc etc.
    If you are not painting your car yourself or do not have someone reliable to paint it lined up get Uniques painter to paint it for you. You won't be disappointed.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

if you are trying to keep price down, order options that are difficult to build in later if you .

1.like ferrules for side curtains and tonneau (inexpensive)
    2.defroster vents to help you pass inspection (inexpensive)
    3.dual rear coilovers if you are going with knockoffs
    4.posi.

insulated foot boxes and e-brake are a must.

i did not get oil cooler, turkey pan, figuring i could add later.

jim o.
    Jim O.
    Unique 427 S/C #4279479
    SA 402FE,Toploader,
    3.53 Posi

*Ferrules and Lift-the-Dot Fasteners: Inexpensive and you don't want to install these after painting.
    *Tonneau: Provides some good basic interior protection from the elements while parked outside.
    *Softtop: If you want it and your budget allows. It's better to have it installed prior to deliver instead of later (like I did) Good to have when your caught an hour from home and it begins to rain. Here in the NorthEast it greatly extends my driving season.
    *Front and Rear Anti-sway Bars: High on my list of necessary items
    *Posi: High on my list of necessary items
    *Footbox Heat Shielding: Easier to install in an empty engine bay.

Non-Unique related.
    * Windshield Tensor Bar - Available from Finishline.
    * Two clear trailer lights - Pick up new at a swap meet for about $2 each. Install one on each side of the car behind the dash above the foot well. Hotwire to a switch on the dash. When you get in your car at night it's great to have footwell lights.
    * Powerport: Mount behind dash to provide a ready 12 volt power supply. Radioshack for around $7.00
    Last edited by Aggressor; October 28th, 2007 at 09:08 PM.

Lightbulb

Money.

Lots of it is better, because you'll see things that you didn't buy at first and decide you just can't live without 'em now. Or, stuff you bought and find something better/neater/cooler that you just gotta have.

Time.

Don't listen to your wife....you really didn't spend THAT much time out in the garage. And, hey, would the local watering hole really be where she wanted you, anyway?

Patience.

After all, summer goes awful d*mn fast after, oh, say 22 or so. Meaning, you're gonna find any excuse available to get out and drive, so long as it isn't the second Ice Age or your time to build an Ark.

Really, that is about all you'll need. A pretty simple list, if you're open-minded.
    Yeehah

Thanks

I really appreciate everyones advise. This is something I have wanted to do for 20 plus years. Now that I am into my 50's it's now or never. I'm not trying to be cheap about this. I want to put into it stuff that I won't regret not doing down the road. This is not going to be a show car but I certainly want it to look good. My priority is drivability. Fotunately for me my wife is a huge supporter of the project. Again thanks for all your input, I hope someday to assist others in this same position.

Here is my $0.02.....

You are in CA, so you shouldn't have much use for heater/defroster. I only know a couple of guys with soft tops (and they get looked at funny when the use them), so if you pass on the top the ferrules aren't necessary. I have the tonneau that gets used now-n-then (mostly for security, out of sight - out of mind), and in the event of weather, which happened this weekend in Murphey's).

The options I purchased -

Powerlock upgrade
    Inside mirror (forget the fender mounted mirror)
    Oil Cooler
    Oil Cooler lines
    Oil Cooler Aluminum Kit
    Footbox Heat Shields
    Tonneau Cover
    Windwings and Sunvisors
    Riveted Hood Scope
    E-Brake (I didn't, but wish that I had)
    Carrera Adj Shocks
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil made a good comment on the fender mount mirror.
    From my experience it's about worthless. You'll see about 2/3 rear fender and about 1/3 important stuff like say ...... traffic and that which occurs behind your vehicle. Personally I like the windshield frame side mount holding a raydot spun aluminum mirror. Finishline can provide the mounts.

Check Summit Racing for good prices on racing seat belts. RJS 5 Point for $59.95, G-Force 5 Point for $69.95. While your looking at Summit pickup a set of sliding seat tracks for $20-$26 per seat.

-Geary

A note on the fender mount mirror. The lower you are in the car the more useful it is. When I put my comp seat in and it lowered me down a couple of inches I found that I could use it. (angle) Phil would never be able to use it. I am 5' 10" with a long torso and with the stock seat it was not much help.

But if you like the way it looks.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear