Thread: Well, gotta ask....

Question Well, gotta ask....

So - those oval vents/holes in the backside of the front wheelwells. What purpose do these serve, exactly? I'm supposing they're there just to let some air in, maybe for cooling, but can't help but think that would be short-circuited by the fender vents laying just inches away and at the same relative height. Plus, seems to me they would be a sure source of lots of dirt and grit thrown up by the front tires. Mine have been blocked off since the build, for those reasons. Looking at the car tonite I figured maybe you guys have something up your sleeves that I just ain't figgered out yet.

What you think? Open 'em up, or keep 'em shut off? Anybody see any difference, heat or cooling or ?

-Roger
    Yeehah

I put sheet metal over mine when I built as well - just figured it was an opportunity to muck-up the engine compartment.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

the only way i could get the drivers side louver in place was to slide it thru the hole in the fenderwell. the footbox on that side in an inch longer. think its probably a 50/50 split on open vs. closed. mine are open. later brian.

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Roger, you will find more discussion on this topic in the following thread. I, too, posed the same question a while ago, and the answers are there.

Good luck!

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6502
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Brian - I think he's referring to the oval cut-outs on the inside of the front wheel wells.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

[QUOTE=brfutbrian;78895]the only way i could get the drivers side louver in place was to slide it thru the hole in the fenderwell. QUOTE]

thats why the oval cutouts are there. the passenger side has the same cutout in it so it doesnt look funny. learned this after a disscusion with alan when i was building my car. later brian

Thumbs up Ok

Ah - got it. Thanks, Paul, for the link to that thread. Clears things up some.

Seems we're about 50/50 on blanking it off or screening it over. Mebbe a winter task to frame up some screens and see if it helps. Probably would make people ask questions, anyway

Thanks all.

-Roger
    Yeehah

I leave it open then cover it with aluminum gutter screen, it forces fresh air into the header area which can't hurt.

Alan

I cut the one on the driver side even bigger. Makes it a lot easier to work in the master cylinders and I was able to install the M/C heat shield very easily. Made a large expanded aluminum screen and the engine compartment debris is not an issue. Rain, rocks, mud not seen in the engine compartment.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I put the aluminum panels in the engine compartment and also put aluminum mesh like what we use for the front brake cooler ducts for the engine vents between the aluminum panels and the fiberglass held in with button head stainless steel fasteners ..... makes for a nice clean look.

I also made up some covers from scrap aluminum to covers the vents to shield out water and debris if you get caught in some real bad weather, also held in with stainless steel fasteners.
    Jeff

Unique 427 S/C #4279451
    Survival Motorsports FE482
    4 Speed Toploader (Nascar close ratio)

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Pictures please, Jeff
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Paul,

Here are some pictures on the vent covers that I found. Sorry about the delay. They are held in with (2) longer ss button head screws (not in picture) and ss nylock nuts. On the back is self stick closed cell foam to seal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB120331 (Small).JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	1284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC040025 (Small).JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	1285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC040032 (Small).JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	1286  
    Jeff

Unique 427 S/C #4279451
    Survival Motorsports FE482
    4 Speed Toploader (Nascar close ratio)

Cool

It's a pity the wheel-well ducts aren't the same size as the front brake ducts. There's some nice after-market stuff available for them.
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

Thumbs up Cover them up!

Good idea to close those up, unless you want all the road debris and water in your engine compartment.
    Last edited by eliminator; December 20th, 2007 at 01:04 PM.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Thumbs up Cover them up!

Good idea to close those up, unless you want all the road debris and water in your engine compartment. Just run over a puddle of water and see what a mess it will make.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

your

right about that, gravel and road junk all up on the top of foot box, works its way down beside foot box and outside skin-wall--have to vacuum it out. Will-alabama