Thread: Header Cleaner

Header Cleaner

I need a few suggestions on cleaning a sidepipe just past the header. Either tar or plastic has melted to the pipe and the products I have tried are not effective. What removes bonded items from the sidepipes?

Thanks

Ric
    427 SC Orange 406 FE from SA Tremec 600 #4279503

have you attempted to clean the pipes when they are hot? i was able to simply wipe off some melted on foreign substance with a dry towel.

I believe what I use is Eagle 1 Metal Polish (think that's the name). It's the polish that is embedded in felt fiber, and comes in a little gold-cad looking tin can at most any Advance, Autozone, etc. Just tear a piece of the felt/polish off the roll in the can, and then buff away on your pipes. Once you're done, buff the polish off with a clean, dry terrycloth rag.

I have successfully removed melted nylon from my sidepipes using this stuff. You want the pipes to be be dead cool, or the polish just evaporates.
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Thank you

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I have 12 miles on the car and spot on the sidepipe is driving me crazy. I am sure these remedies will work. By the way, can you use 4-0 steel wool on the pipes without damaging the ceramic finish?

Ric
    427 SC Orange 406 FE from SA Tremec 600 #4279503

Yes, that is what I use. See you Friday

Alan