Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Heart for juanone 289

New Heart for juanone 289

After much thought over the last year and a half I have decided to give my 289 street Unique a heart transplant. I took a lot of abuse over the way my car sounded, performed and in short I decided to take action.

I have had a new DSS Racing 331 Stroker built and installed in my car. The difference is incredible. Now I have a real Cobra, to my way of thinking.

I think on my original engine Rick and Butch did a great job in both specifying and building but it just was not visceral enough for me. I thought I would be happy with a perky 302 Ford Racing Crate Motor but it just was not enough.

Attached are some photos of the engine before installation, folks it is a work of art. Plus it sounds and feels great. As soon as the weather cooperates I will post some photos of the engine in the car. I also redid the exhaust system. Before I had just 2' pipes all the way back, now it has 2-1/2" all the way back and ceramic coated black looks awesome. With the amount of new horsepower this baby puts out we needed the breathing room, not too much so as not to affect the torque that comes with it. Pictures will come.

Just thought I would give you an update since I have not visited the forum in quite a while. I will also post the specifics on the engine later on.

I love my 289, I don't get tired of looking at it plus the design of the car is just so beautiful, I think I'll keep it.

Enjoy,

Juan
    Last edited by juanone; June 4th, 2008 at 01:32 PM.

Looks good, Juan!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Juan, Tear up those streets!

Looks good. Can't wait to see it in the car.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Juan, Nice looking engine. Any idea how much it will produce at the crank? I expect the fun factor just went up a notch. Would like to see pictures once you have it back in the car.

Phillip

Nice to hear from you Juan. I wish I would have known you were in the market for a 331, I just sold my DART 331 last week that only been run on the dyno.

Justin

New 331

The estimated hp at the flywheel is roughly 500, but that is just a guess, could be a little more or a littlle less. DSS Racing is really conservative in their estimates of horsepower on engines they did not put on the dyno since we assembled their engine package in Louisville.

With the Cam they custom ground, AFR Heads and a 650 Quick Fuel Technologies Carb plus all the other goodies they put in their engine packages, the estimate is pretty accurate.

Pictures of engine in car coming soon.

Juan

Red face Just Clearing the Air

Just to be sure were all on the same page:

Neither Butch or I decided on the first engine or the exhaust or anything about it.

That all came from Juan, 100%

It was like "pulling teeth" to get him to put roller rockers on the 302.

Wow, what a 180 degree turn around, like I have told Juan he is worse than any women I have every known, can change his mind in a instant and head some other direction. Thats not a negative just the way it is.

OK now we can proceed.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Juan

engine looks good, buddy. Put homecoming 2008 on your calender, cause we gotta see what you have done.What block did you start with? Cy and Zach started with a 351 block , and wound up with a 383 stroker , lot more there than me and Joan need.Surprised at fuel economy, left pigeon forge with full tank last sept., had quarter tank left when we stopped in tallapoosa, ga. here at home to eat lunch.Will gobble fuel when you goose it a bit, so don,t do that much.Did you keep pipes under car?Will-alabama

Thumbs up Great choice!

You're gonna be smiling now, Juan! Apart from an absence of traction in the low gears, the rush you'll feel in the higher gears will dazzle you.....what a difference those 29 inches make. And there's nothing like the sound of a little stroker at 7000 rpm - they flat-out scream and make your hair stand on end. And the steady reliability of this motor - put gas in it and change the oil is all you gotta do - will have you driving it so often you'll suffer withdrawal when you're not in it.

Big blocks are dandy, but crank this one up and you'll forget all about 'em.

-Roger
    Yeehah

Not a sewing machine anymore!

For the last two years I have driven to and from, with my Unique 289, to the London Cobra Show and I have to tell you that the more I take it to these kinds of events makes me so proud to own a Unique. The 289 body style is so sensual. Everything about the car I love. Yes there are differences of manufacture between brands but this one is a keeper for me. The next step for me is to do some work on the paint job that I am not satisfied with.

That is, in essence, the reason for changing the engine from a crate 302 to a DSS 331 stroker.

Rick, I have not said that what you did for me I was not pleased with. Actually I always compliment the craftsmanship you demonstrated on my engine install. It was beautiful. I just decided that since this car is a keeper I want it to feel more like a muscle car and this one does it. The investment on this engine is not a cheap one I may add.

Yes, I am planning to go to Homecoming this year. Got it on my calendar already.

Thanks to all for the encouragement on this engine build.

Juan

Juan,
    When I see you at Homecoming this year I want to race you.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Specs on my 331 stroker engine

As for the specs on my new engine, here they are. They started with a seasoned 1968 302 Hi-Po Mexican Block, bored it 20 over (I may have misnamed the block so please forgive me if I am not too accurate), new custom 20 over DSS forged short skirt racing pistons, DSS Girdle and Billet scrapper, Comp Cams custom ground roller camshaft , DSS SBF 1.6 ratio 3/8" stud aluminum roller rockers, DSS 5.0 STROKER Main Support System, 3/4" billet aluminum w/ custom ARP main studs, AFR 185 w/ 61cc chamber Heads, Progear 3-position, double-roller timing chain, DSS Steel Crank and I-Beam Rods.

I am quite sure that there are many other items that I don't know about but the above should give you guys an idea of what the engine was built like.

Juan
    Last edited by juanone; December 18th, 2007 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Juan,
    When I see you at Homecoming this year I want to race you.
    .......................bring money, Mr. Clean.............
    Yeehah

New Engine

Haven't met any of you guys. Hello from New Jersey.
    First I want to say congratulations on Juan's new engine build. Sounds like quite a different gig all together. How can more horsepower or torque be a bad thing? Can't wait to see and hear it run. Same trans and rear end? We should do a survey in the Unique family. What engine block is in your Cobra?
    I did read a prior post that caught my eye, though - "Big blocks are dandy, but crank this one up and you'll forget all about 'em." Don't think it works that way. Not for Shelby, not for me, or many other big block guys. I'll maintain that I've never seen two Cobras the same. Choices are endless.
    Again, best luck Juan,and keep her sunny side up.
    Can't wait to meet the gang next homecoming.
    Yes, we will bring Thunder, as a trailer was this year's choice.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by TurnpikeBoy View Post
    .......................bring money, Mr. Clean.............
    Mr. Clean? I'm not bald yet.
    Tony

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Mr. Clean? I'm not bald yet.
    Lucky dog.
    Yeehah

Juan,

can you take some pictures of your under car exhaust, along with a side profile?

Naumoff,

If we have drag races at homecoming, we can't tell my wife!

Justin

Undercar exhaust

Justin,

Right now it will be difficult to take pictures of the car outside but I promise I soon as I can I will. Also of the engine compartment.

I purchased and installed a very rare set of Holman Moody valve covers that look so awesome on the engine.

Juan

Oh Yea!

Juan, side by side burn-outs this year at the London show.
    Scott
    SA 428
    3:54

Scott

I'm afraid your FE will make mince meat out of mine. Drag racing is not one of my strong points. Besides, I would make a fool out of me trying to burn tires with wire wheels. I don't think they are made to take the beating.

Maybe someone with skill, but me nahhh..

I am truly looking forward to Homecoming and the London Cobra Show.