Thread: New Heart for juanone 289

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Heart for juanone 289

After much thought over the last year and a half I have decided to give my 289 street Unique a heart transplant. I took a lot of abuse over the way my car sounded, performed and in short I decided to take action.

I have had a new DSS Racing 331 Stroker built and installed in my car. The difference is incredible. Now I have a real Cobra, to my way of thinking.

I think on my original engine Rick and Butch did a great job in both specifying and building but it just was not visceral enough for me. I thought I would be happy with a perky 302 Ford Racing Crate Motor but it just was not enough.

Attached are some photos of the engine before installation, folks it is a work of art. Plus it sounds and feels great. As soon as the weather cooperates I will post some photos of the engine in the car. I also redid the exhaust system. Before I had just 2' pipes all the way back, now it has 2-1/2" all the way back and ceramic coated black looks awesome. With the amount of new horsepower this baby puts out we needed the breathing room, not too much so as not to affect the torque that comes with it. Pictures will come.

Just thought I would give you an update since I have not visited the forum in quite a while. I will also post the specifics on the engine later on.

I love my 289, I don't get tired of looking at it plus the design of the car is just so beautiful, I think I'll keep it.

Enjoy,

Juan
    Last edited by juanone; June 4th, 2008 at 01:32 PM.

Looks good, Juan!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Juan, Tear up those streets!

Looks good. Can't wait to see it in the car.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Juan, Nice looking engine. Any idea how much it will produce at the crank? I expect the fun factor just went up a notch. Would like to see pictures once you have it back in the car.

Phillip

Nice to hear from you Juan. I wish I would have known you were in the market for a 331, I just sold my DART 331 last week that only been run on the dyno.

Justin

New 331

The estimated hp at the flywheel is roughly 500, but that is just a guess, could be a little more or a littlle less. DSS Racing is really conservative in their estimates of horsepower on engines they did not put on the dyno since we assembled their engine package in Louisville.

With the Cam they custom ground, AFR Heads and a 650 Quick Fuel Technologies Carb plus all the other goodies they put in their engine packages, the estimate is pretty accurate.

Pictures of engine in car coming soon.

Juan