Thread: Thought I had seen it all

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thought I had seen it all

Hey Gang,

I have 40 miles on the break in of the car. Been working on ride height and the 18's have been a challenge to get the oil pan up and the stance looking "mean" on the car. I have 26 3/8 inches from the ground to the lip of the fenders. Sound right? The front of the oil pan is 3 1/4 inches and the rear 3 inches off the ground. Close??

Now the life's lesson on people I learned today. I went on a shake down cruise today to seat the brakes and working on ride height adjustment. I really did not expect the attention the car gets in traffic. 99% is positive with a wave, horn blow or even an engine rev in respect. And then, at a light a guy pulls up and politely ask "is that a replica?" I proudly say yes and you would have thought he missed a 2 foot putt. He shook his head in disappointment and drive on as if I insulted him. I wanted to retort with what's in your garage but that would make me just like him. Well not everyone is a replica fan.

I wish him a Merry Christmas as do to you all.

Ric
    427 SC Orange 406 FE from SA Tremec 600 #4279503

Exclamation They're out there....

It takes all kinds, Ric. Puzzling how they take disappointment at something beautiful - even prints of a Van Gogh or a Rembrandt are enjoyable while not original.

Oh, well. As you've witnessed first-hand, his contempt isn't shared by the overwhelming majority. In the end, what he thinks and $1.50 will still get you a fine cup of coffee. Enjoy it the way the understanding ones do.

-Roger
    Yeehah

Don't dispair jealousy takes many forms, a common one is to disparage anothers achievements or possessions as of little value. I'm sure the guy is green with envy!

Ralph

It used to be $0.10 would get you a cup of coffee
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Built it or Bought it?

I don't think you should consider that question an insult. Most folks don't really understand the quality of our "replicas". Let alone the cost. They probably think it's a reasonable inquiry.

I was very impresses a couple of weeks ago when a guy at a traffic light asked me if I had built it or bought it. I thought that was a more well-intentioned and respectful question.

"Oh ...It's only a replica"

Don't you just love it. You're at a real nice car show and a woman walks up and asks if it's real. Then she yells back at her husband who is quite a distance away "Oh ...It's only a replica".(really emphasizing the word only for some malicious reason) You are then left with the task of maintaining your composure and not following this lovely couple back to the parking area to ask similar questions about their ride. Such as: "Is that a REAL Civic", "That's not a genuine plastic interior is it","Did you build this all by yourselves or did you have help from a great big factory to do it for you", "What kind of planning, physical effort, and monetary sacrifices have you endured in aquiring your dead common cookiecutter run-of-the-mill POS".

Sometimes ya just gotta ignore the jerks and smile. I guess you have to give stupid people a little grace from time to time. Blessed are the peacemakers ............

-Geary

26 3/8" is in the ballpark. 3" is OK. 3.5" is about what most will get with a Canton Pan and still have a nice look.

This is my new favorite decal.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear