Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the site, saying hello.

New to the site, saying hello.

After wanting to build a Cobra for about 40 years I've decided to do so. Need something to do after my retirement. Looking foward to learning what I can from these pages. Biggest issue now is what motor to use, yep I'll stir the pot. I like bowties. So why don't all you Ford Junkies educate me on these motor issues!

I also want to thank Mr. Weaver for directing me to this site.

diegokid

First of all Diegokid,
    Welcome to the family.

Try a Ford engine you might like it.

Do you have a chebbie engine ready to go in the Cobra?

Are you a small block or big block man?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I have avaibility of both. They are ready to build. I've been looking at different Ford engines. Seem more interested in the 351C or one of the 406's I was told about from southern automotive. I'm trying to find stats on how much this engine weighs versus that engine. I know a small blk Chebbie and a big block with alum. heads weigh about the same. These FE engines sound somewhat interesting. I just need to educate myself a little more.

2 Cents

Diegokid,

Welcome to the family. Buy a Unique. As far as engines, to each his own. I just finished my build that has a SA 406. It has the original cast heads and sounds incredible. I do not intend to race so weight does not matter to me. I am a real believer in the look a big-block or FE engines gives the engine bay. It just looks like the car was made for that look. If you are planning on selling the car after a while the bow-tie between the mounts could be a challenge. I would say put what you want. You can get all the advice you ask for but even the advisor has a preference. If you are putting cost aside, then write down what you what the engine to do for you and the car. The most plus marks win. I can tell you this, whatever engine you choose, when you put the right foot on the little thingy hard, all hell breaks loose and you will love every minute of it. Working out the details of what to include in the car is half the fun. Good luck with the build.

Ric

Ric
    427 SC Orange 406 FE from SA Tremec 600 #4279503

Welcome to the forum.
    Chevy's are cool but will hurt the inherent value in your replica. The more you can make it look, smell, and feel like an original the more inherent value and if you ever resell it you won't limit the number of potential buyers who will look at your car. I learned that lesson when I built a car in 1991 for resale. 427 body style with a potent Ford 302. Many interested individuals at the Summer Carlisle show looked as far as the engine and walked away. 289 style needs a small block with 351's being acceptable. 427 style requires an FE.

- Geary (Aggressor)

Question BowTie

Geary is correct, you will take a beating on the value oof your car first of all.

Then after it's done no matter how nice it is people will look at the engine and keep walking.

No intrest in Cobra with a Chevrolet Engine, none at all, zip!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1487.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	1287   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cobra 025.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	1288  
    Last edited by eliminator; December 20th, 2007 at 06:10 AM.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

DiegoKid,

Welcome to the forum!

I definitely agree with Geary and Ric.

I've built, bought and sold a few Cobra replicas and there is ZERO interest in those with Chevy engines. When and if you want to sell it you might find it next impossible to sell one without a Ford engine.

Just my humble $.02 worth.

Terry
    Soon to be FIA 289 owner

Diegokid, My car is still for sale and can be bought for far less than building one today. If you are intent on building one and need a project, I guess I could take it apart and send it to you in boxes.
    Last edited by gasman; December 20th, 2007 at 08:58 AM.
    Steve

Engine choice

Engines make power to turn wheels. Both manufactures will do that well. Ford engines are proper to the replication of the vechicle. Value alone tells you to put a Ford engine in a Ford. Would one put a Ford engine in a Corvette, just doesn't make sense to me. What engine you buy and build depends on the priorities you have in mind for the car (race, street, drags,grocery getter, etc.). I've talked to maybe two persons with Chevy motors, their reasoning is less cost or they just like Chevys. Why wouldn't they buy a Chevy, I don't get it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Huh?

Ford made AC? I thought Carol Shelby created the AC, unless I've read history incorrectly a Chevy was his first choice, he settled for a ford. Anyway it won't be for show it will be a daily driver. I'm still talking with folks on the benefits of each. I've actually owned three different ford products, two with small blocks one with an inline six. No real major mechanical problems just the once a month repair of something.

Wink

Shelby first approached GM for the use of the Chevy engine. They turned him down. Then he went to Ford and they sold engines to him and sponsored his racing program which when on to significant fame. The car itself, into which Shelby transplanted the Ford engine, was a british car, AC. AC also partnered with Shelby to provide him the cars less engine and transmission. The differentials/IRS are Jaguar.

Hence the Ford tradition. People buy tradition. Chevy is not part of the tradition. The nice thing about the replicars since you build it yourself if you want a Chevy or Dodge engine in it you can do it no factory constraints. The guy are on target in the resale value issue.

Hope this helps

Ralph

I know, I just wanted to see how many would want to chime in. As I said earlier I'm looking at maybe the 351C or the 406. If I go Chevy it would be a 327 or a 427. Hard decision for me to make.
    My brother is a die hard Ford guy. He's about to climb the walls at his body shop when I talk about any mouse motor in this car. I do it just to watch him sweat. I need to be nice to him since he will most likely do the paint work for me.

Goodnight everyone, Merry Christmas.

Welcome aboard. Lot of information here - the search capability is a great resource for anything from A to Z.

Go with an FE if it's going to be a 427 car.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Jim knows where I stand on Chevy vs Ford engines, we'll just have to wait and see which way he goes.

Alan

agree

One thing we can all agree on is the fact that these are really nice cars, better for me that my wife loves it makes it even better. Yes Alan I finally convinced her that the auto would be wrong. Now she wants me to try to teach her how to drive a standard again.

You think that maybe she would be quiet if I promised to build her an FIA with a auto in a few years?

Wink Motor

I guess I am uneducated on this subject and need some help.

What is a Cheby?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16620DSCN0722.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	1290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WEBERS.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	1291  
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

chevy.........
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Oh!

Fat fingered and dyslexic, dangit going bald too.

Go with the Ford FE.
    Nothing sounds like a FE.

I am with your brother and I am climbing the walls.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Thumbs up Out of place

It would be like building a Vintage '63 split window Vette and putting a small block Ford in it.

Just wrong in my opinion.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC