Thread: Howdy.

Howdy.

I just started down this treacherous road of building my own replica Cobra. I turned 29 a few days back (Dec 30) and I decided it was time for me to have something constructive to do in my free time. I read and watch movies and play games, but I really want something that I can point at and say, "that's what I do." A coworker suggested a Cobra kit car. After laughing him off for a day or two I did a little research and realized I can afford one, if I do my homework and go at it carefully. So, I am looking at different replica kit manufacturers. I like what Unique has to offer, and they certainly seem to be in the top-tier of the DIY kit manufacturers. Certainly, they are in my short list right now. I really like the idea of having a lot of my own blood and sweat behind the car. Stories of my failures and successes, my own frustration, a real learning curve and all the rest. After all, if I was going to spend this kind of money for a car someone else built for me, I could get a used Vette or Mustang. But that isn't what I am in this for.

At any rate, if anyone would like to start e-mail correspondence or even correspondence here on suggestions of where to look and what to look for before I pull the trigger on this project, please let me know. Also, I noticed a price increase ad on the main Unique homepage. Does anyone know when this goes in effect and what percentage an increase it will be? It may help me decide how quickly I pull said trigger.
    Finally, I am in central Indiana. Anyone in the midwest that wants to show off their Unique, feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance for reading,
    Michael

You can call me any time. 281-485-1116. I think I was 29 when i ordered my Unique, and very happy I did.

Justin

Howdy back at ya. I screwed up this reply so read the next one.

-Geary (Aggressor)
    Last edited by Aggressor; January 7th, 2008 at 02:21 AM.

Forget trecherous, blood, failures, and frustration. Building a Unique, you may sweat a bit but get ready for the enjoyment and pride of ownership which greatly exceeds any trivial events along the way. Unique provides a replica that has the difficult items or tasks that require speciallized tools already done. You will find these kits are very thorough and very complete. I have built 3 and would gladly start another one today.
    Call me for any questions: 717-576-5988
    -Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; January 7th, 2008 at 02:23 AM.

Howdy

Consider yourself lucky to be able to build and own a UNIQUE at the ripe young age of 29.....Heck, I have underwear that's older than that. I own a turnkey [can't take credit for building it myself], but maintaining it, washing it, waxing it and best of all.....driving it is pure enjoyment. The best part about investing in a UNIQUE is the friendship of other owners and the Weaver family you will get to know and enjoy along the way.
    Dennis M. Swann

Thanks

I will admit I have a short list of manufacturers, obviously including Unique, but the more time I spend on this forum the more impressed I become. With a community of owners of the brand already in place and thriving my list is quickly shrinking to one, lol. May I add, a community of owners willing to give out phone info to a brand-new comer is that much more welcoming.

How do you plan to drive the car?

Are you going to build a grocery getter/ drag racer/ road racer? The most important thing you can do is to make up your mind as to how you want to driver the car. 427 or 289? You'll find the Weavers very helpful in that decesion process. This is where experience comes to play. Focus, focus, focus. Do it right the first time, I didn't and it's expensive and very upsetting. This is so much more than "just a car".
    GOOD LUCK, welcome and come aboard the "Unique Experience"

Good question

At first, it will be for beautiful Spring through late Fall days. Road-tripping, cruising, and the like. I imagine I will get some track time and maybe do a little speed limit breaking on the highway for that matter. Road courses would be something I could see in the future after I get comfortable and maybe some driver schooling from a racer I work with (he has raced both asphalt and dirt and is somewhat responsible for me ending up here). In short, it will not be a daily driver (Indiana weather won't permit it) but I will want to get it out and go at every opportunity. If I take it to a track, it won't go there in a trailer. As far as showing it, I have no plans at the moment but that could always change.

When it comes to 427/289 I am definitely leaning the 427 route right now. I doubt I will be replicating the original point for point though. I will likely put in either a 5 or 6 speed manual, for example. I want the car for me first, to impress purists second.

-Michael
    Last edited by Grenamc; January 7th, 2008 at 12:37 PM.

Hi right back at you

Michael
    If you are in the decision making process it would be well worth your while to visit Unique.
    You can see exactly what you can get and how it can be finished before it gets to you. Looking at completed cars is one thing but there are many owner variations which can cloud what you may get. Trust me Unique is a quality car at a reasonable price. Consider having as much done at Unique as you can afford as the Weavers are very good at managing expenses. None the less you will find that meeting the Weavers goes a long way toward making the decision to buy there car. As for myself my car is over 20 years old and is as sound as if it were new. There have many updates since mine but they were not to correct faults as the origional design was very good. Good luck in your purchase and build
    Ed

the weavers are always available for advice, pre and post purchase. Unique offers the best value for your dollar and great customer service. the deluxe pallet kit is easily buildable for anyone with some experience with a wrench. they can be finished as many ways as there are cars.

my main advise would be make sure your motor, trans, and rear end gears are compatible. Due to inexperience on my part, i got a motor that needed to run around 3500 rpm ;combined with a tremec 5-speed and 3.31 rear end it just didn't work. i could never use 5th.

I plan on a trip.

I have an unusual schedule right now due to some construction going on in my department at work. I work seven 12-hour shifts in a row and then I get seven off, so a trip to Gadsden is certainly a possibility.

With every other week off, you may understand why I want to do as much of the work myself as possible. I haven't a doubt in their build quality or pricing for labor, but I spent 4 years building 70L (not 7.0) diesel engines before I moved to my present department. So, I think I can handle a lot of the assembly process myself. I am certainly open to any suggestions on essentials. For example, if the roll bar is a bolt-on I can handle it, but if it is fabricated into the body I know it's something I will want Unique to do. The suspension I would kind of like to do myself just from a research/engineering and learning standpoint. For things like brake lines and master cylinders, clutch, brake and accelerator pedals and assemblies, I am inclined to want to install them. So long as I am using the same quality and era-accurate equipment I imagine I will be happier for taking the plunge and self-installing. Of course I am somewhat looking to save money by doing it myself, but I really want to take ownership of this project as well. In short, I want to point at my roadster in 12-15 months and say, "aside from laying fiberglass, welding the chassis and painting, that is all me. I hand selected every component, hand-built and tuned the engine. I have touched every bolt and adjusted every aspect of this car. It is mine."

I am sure someone here can convince me this is a completely foolhardy approach and attitude. But it is the approach I am starting with.

-Michael
    Last edited by Grenamc; January 7th, 2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to sign... need to setup a signature, lol.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Hello Michael and welcome.

It is not fool hardy it will just be a huge box to take all of these parts home in.
    I opted for the deluxe pallet kit for the amount of savings it is worth it as appose to buying it in all the pieces. You have to take it all apart when you get it except for the suspension. but that is something you can work out with the Weavers.

You will not find another company that will be able to supply you with everything you need if you want them too.

I was at the Run 'N Gun at Gateway International Raceway with my car in October. It is too bad you didn't post before then but we have plenty of pictures and information here if you need it.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Hi Michael and welcome,

There are many excellent qualities and benefits of owning a Unique, but there is one thing you can always count on - resources and support. Either via this forum or by calling the Weaver's. To give you an idea of how far they will go to assist their customers - when I was doing my wiring some years back I was expressing to Alan that I was concerned with a couple of areas. He was heading out of town on vacation but sensed by uneasiness, so he gave me cell phone number and told me to call if I ran into any issues. It is that kind of support that is very rare.

There are a number of previous threads on this topic, so try using the "search" function. Good luck on your journey.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)