Thread: KCC Member In Cobra Accident

KCC Member In Cobra Accident

Please, please, use your 4 point restraining harness on always. One of our dear club members, Eddy Kannapel from Hardinsburg, KY was in a serious accident Thursday in his Cobra. Rolled the car a few times but thank God he is still alive. Multiple broken Vertebrae, Ribs, Collarbone, Arms and Hundreds of stitches. He is at UofL Hospital in Louisville, Room 717.

Keep him in your prayers for a full recovery.

We are happy to announce that Eddy will be making a full recovery after his accident on Thursday.

Some of us visited with him and his family yesterday and while he does not look very good his recovery will. He was sent home today for a recovery that will no doubt take a few months.

To report on what happened, he and his nephew went for a short ride in his Superformance Thursday about noontime. A short distance from his home was a gradual curve that combined with Cold Tires, Cold Weather and even Colder Road conditions provided a dangerous scenario for anyone in an automobile let alone a Cobra. His speed was not fast, maybe 65 mph, as he shifted down to third to slow down he heard a bit of tire squeal and the next thing he knew he went on a rollercoaster ride with THREE upside down loops and turns. His nephew escaped with just two stitches, amazing since the car is a total mess.

The above is not meant to make light of what happened, just merely pointing out that even the mildest ride and car can pose in a serious threat given the circumstances mentioned.

On a more serious note, had Eddy not been strapped in with a four point harness and a rollbar he would no longer be with us. He lost consciousness in the rolling process, leaving him at the mercy of what ever restraining device was installed on his car. After the first of the 2008 Year we are going to come out with our newsletter and an article covering Eddy's accident in detail, as well as others of similar consequences in hope to bring light to this subject, one that we seem to forget too quickly while riding our cars.

We are keeping Eddy in our thoughts with hopes of a full recovery and we give thanks for a well installed restraining system in his Cobra that surely saved Eddy's life.

Many greetings to you all my friends, shortly after the e-mail went out to all the members yesterday I received enormous amount of email and phone calls expressing their concern for Eddy and his family, that made my heart very warm. A club that was started as a way of enjoying these cars has developed into a caring group of individuals that had never met before but care about each other very much. Thank you for your thoughts of support always.

I distinctly remember askin Maurice not to install a rollbar on my 289 so that the car would look more period correct. His response was a very FLAT AND RESOUNDING NO. They would rather lose the car sale than losing one of the owners because of it.

May you have a Safe and Healthy Holiday Season, as always.

Juan
    Last edited by juanone; December 23rd, 2007 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks for the info Juan and I am glad Eddy is going to make it.

This reminds me of what Don Barnes, the driving instructer at the Run 'N Gun, said we should remember when we first go out on the track.
    "Cold track, cold tires and cold brain."

In cool or cold weather the road never warms up.

I am not criticizing anyone but this just reminded me of the class I took at RNG.

We will keep Eddy and his family in our prayers.
    Last edited by Naumoff; December 24th, 2007 at 06:25 AM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

On a side note, each of us needs to check where our harness comes in contact with our shoulders. I learned recently that a fatal accident at one of our local tracks was becacuse the harness cut into the driver's jugular at impact.
    Go sit in your car with the belts sinched up and move around side to side to check if the belts are positioned correctly. If they are not, you should move them.
    Also, if you are going to do some spirited driving keep a set of arm restraints in your car. I was wearing a set when I had my oops moment, and I can tell you that I gave the one on the right a good tug.

Justin