Thread: Low-mount alternator

Low-mount alternator

Hi folks-

289 FIA kit, 302, edelbrock heads, edelbrock high-volume water pump (pump empties on the driver's side.) V-belt pulleys.

I've got a GM-style 1 wire alternator and a custom bracket, and I'm running into a problem mounting the alternator down low. I'm sure folks have seen this, it's super-tight between the frame rail and the timing cover. I'm not worried about spacers, etc...I know they'll have to be modified and I'm not that worried about it.

Does anyone know if there's a 1-wire alternator that'll fit in the low-mount position? I'd rather not have the alternator sticking up by the valve cover if possible.

Thanks!
    Chris

Chris,
    Go with the high mount alternator, there is virtually no room for a low mount and you don't want the engine torque whacking the alternator to the frame. When we picked up our car it had a low mount and a bunch of frame scratches from install and the short amount of run time. From a install and service standpoint there really is not too many good reasons to keep the alternator low.

That's my $0.02, but it's your car. If you really want to keep it low there are some mini alternators that may do the job. Unless you are running EFI or a heater these cars only really draw electrical current for the ignition.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

You can use the one from Coast High Performanceand modify it to work, This is what I did. I also have a Jones Racing bracket, but this requires a mini alternator or a 95 and up ford unit.

Justin

The first March bracket system I purchased was for the low mount. I couldn't make it work so I returned it for the high mount. Looks much better (to me anyway).
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Thanks guys.

Justin- What did you have to do to get the CHP unit to work? Looks to me like the alternator will still hit the boss on the timing cover that the timing pointer connects to....

All the best,
    Chris

I took the bracket over to a machine shop and had them elongate the slot adustment and take some material away on the C section of the bracket to get the alternator closer to the motor. I can't recall that it comes close to the timing cover. The modification costs me $20. The only thing about the low mount alternator is that is does make it difficult to get a timing light hooked up, but in my opinion it does look better.

Let me see if I can find some pictures for you.

Justin

My Ford alternator is running underslung on my FE since 2001 with no problems. Unless the 289 chassis has less space it can be accomplished with adequate clearance. I do run the alternator as close to the block as possible. The fan belt is also as short as it can be. To mount my belt the easiest way is to remove the water pump pulley and loop the belt over it prior to reinstallation. Kind'a like fitting a new timing chain.

-Geary

Thanks guys-

Aggressor - I'm not sure what the difference in setup actually is, but with my current setup, I'm splitting about 3/4" of clearance between the alternator, the framerail, and the timing cover.

I just found something that I think will work, interested to know if anyone has used these guys:

http://www.ecae.com/alt1.html

The 2002 super mini is 4" in diameter, about 1.5" smaller in diameter than my current unit, which would afford me a bunch more space.. Pretty penny for an alternator, but would open up a bunch of options.

As an aside, their 2025 "ultra mini alternator" while not providing enough amps to power everything, would be a hoot to see! It's 3" in diameter!

All the best,
    Chris

http://www.jonesracingproducts.com/

I have one of their alternator brackets that I can make you a deal on as well.

Justin

PS

I noticed on the FF site that you used to have an FF car. What happened to that one?

Hi Justin-

I ran it into a guardrail last March :^(.

Details here:

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11710

Re: the alternator, I'm going to noodle on it for a little bit, I don't need to decide right away (working on planning out the fuel system right now.) I like the idea of the smaller alternator, and I think my current bracket set will work with it.

BTW, I got the motor fired for the first time last night....nothing hooked up, just filled the bowls with fuel, hotwired it, and ran it for a few secs. Fired right up! I love it when a pile of iron and aluminum breathes for the first time!

Best,
    Chris

Are you going to the Texas Cobra Club meeting in Austin? How soon until you have the car on the road?

Justin

At the rate I'm going, it'll be mid summer before I'm on the road. When is the club meeting?

update:

I ended up installing a 75 AMP east coast auto electric unit, and it fits really well in case anyone else decides they want to go down the route of a low-mount alternator. I have well over half an inch between the timing cover/framerail on each side. I'll upload pics once I get them off my phone.

http://www.ecae.com/alt1.html

All the best,
    Chris
    Big engines in little cars.

289 FIA, 347, Tremec 3550, Edelbrock performer RPM heads, air gap intake, hydraulic roller 227 intake 234 exhaust at .050. Ford Guardsman Blue paint.