Thread: drive on ramp lift

drive on ramp lift

once a long time ago, i saw an advertisement for a drive on ramp that was long enough to accommodate the entire wheel base, once the car was on the ramp, one could jack the rear up for level access to the underside.

i'm ready to build one for myself, but would like to see that advertisement again, to do a little backward engineering.

does anyone remember anything about this?

thanks.

That would be a Kwiklift. They run around $1,500 with a few options. I will eventually get one myself. Nice solution for those of us with limited overhead clearance.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

thank you.

doug

I bought a Kwiklift a couple of years ago - it's a pretty good alternative if you don't have the ceiling height for a lift. I leave the Cobra parked on it, and it takes about 10 minutes to get it set up and the car raised. The sheet metal is fairly heavy gauge, so lifting the ramps up to attach them to the front stands is a little more work than pushing the button on a hydraulic lift, but all in all, not bad.

Doug, if you want any detailed pictures, let me know.
    Gary
    Unique FIA 351W

thank you both,

i've done a little calculating, and the cost of steel for me to build something like this, as well as the weight of a fabricated/welded structure vs. their sheet metal, makes the purchase of the lift a better alternative.

not sure what i'll do, i'd like a better way of getting under the car than floor jack and stands.

have a good new year.

doug

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
    thank you both,

i've done a little calculating, and the cost of steel for me to build something like this, as well as the weight of a fabricated/welded structure vs. their sheet metal, makes the purchase of the lift a better alternative.

not sure what i'll do, i'd like a better way of getting under the car than floor jack and stands.

have a good new year.

doug
    No better way than a two post lift. Clayfoushee has a four poster lift and all it is good for is oil changes and waxing the frame.

I personally don't see any benefit to the Kwiklift other than taking up floor space.

I can't fit a two post lift in my garage, not enough ceiling height, so I prefer jack stands.

Just my two cents.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    I personally don't see any benefit to the Kwiklift other than taking up floor space.
    That is because, my pipefitting friend, you're clearly not yet sick of slithering around on a cold concrete floor on your back. Yes, jackstands do make removing wheels quick and easy, but that is about it. Do not approach me on the issue of safety of jackstands - oldest brother killed 31 years ago by jackstands that collapse. Yeah, I know, you don't put that much torque on those bolts you're tightening. Neither did he.

If you don't have room for a bona-fide lift, the KwikLift is the very next best thing. You will still be on your back, but you can actually USE a creeper, there's a comfortable distance to the bottom of the car so your bi-focals are useable, it gets the car up where close inspection of bodywork and suspension parts is easily done and no strain on the knees, and by using their bridge you can still put the car on jackstands....if you must. And it makes frame waxing incredibly easy, for those that enjoy this.

I bought mine (used) from a friend in Delaware two years ago and have kicked myself for not having bought one years ago - it is just that useful. It can be laid flat on the floor; it can be disassembled and stacked up in a corner. Or it can be used as intended, making life for us old geezers a whole lot easier and safer than using jackstands.

-Roger
    Yeehah

Sorry about your brother Roger.
    Your right I am still crawling around everywhere.
    I have not worked with a kwiklift but can tell you I will not spend 1500 bucks for one. A hole in the ceiling of the garage or install a two post lift outside first. Call me a redneck if you want. A two post lift is not much more than the kwiklift.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Here is a link to Kwiklift and a picture of a cobra on one. Not my car.

Ralph

http://www.kwiklift.com/Photos/Exotic_photos.htm

Talking I'm wit ya, Tony!

I would MUCH prefer to have a lift - 2 post or 4 post - to a KwikLift, if only because it eliminates the get-up-and-get-back-down syndrome when tools are needed. My garage these days is a single-car and not too big to begin with......a lift in there would make getting around inside about impossible. So, the KwikLift is about the only alternative to using jackstands - and it is honestly a whole bunch safer.

Mine was $600 used, but in pretty much perfect shape. Well worth the green, and makes working under the car a pleasure now instead of a chore.
    Yeehah

Roger,

I have even thought of a pit that you can stand in.

Start digging!
    Tony

A pit isn't a half-bad idea if you have limited overhead clearance..... although my better half didn't agree, and I quote "No way, no how!!!!!"
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

drive on ramp

I have a low ceiling in my shop, so I built a low budget drive on ramp out of wood. It is very solid and bolted to the concrete floor. Works great for my application. I leave my cobra parked on the ramp most of the time. I tried to post a picture in the reply, but the file was too large. Go to the gallery and look at the posting by Beast, drive on ramp (upload).

Nice Job Beast.

It still takes up to much floor space for my liking.

Phil, Tell the Mrs. you are retired and have plenty of time on your hands.............................. never mind don't tell her that!

Just tell you worked hard all your life and you will do what you please!

Then duck!

Tony

nice work Beast, what material did you use between the 2X?"s i have limited ceiling height also, i have tried to determine if a couple of ATV/motorcycle jacks might be able to be used, one on each side or front to back, of course saefty is an issue.

drive on ramp

Scott,
    The material between the 2x10's is hardwood 9"x9"x24". I got the idea when I spotted the blocks in a scrap material pile. The price was right too at $0. I bolted on angle iron wheel stops in the front, and angle iron with peg mount in rear for quick and easy installation and removal.

I bought one (Kwiklift) several years ago and can't live without it now. They're located in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma and they travel to all the big shows. They were on a way to a show in Pa. and offered to deliver one to me in Columbus Ohio when they were traveling through. Met them at a Denny's parking lot at 2:00am in the morning and loaded it on to my pickup and headed back to Cleveland. No shipping no tax....They couldn't have been more helpful.. I've spent many an afternoon under the car on a creeper sleeping...

Call the company and see what you can work out...
    AL

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by casaleenie View Post
    .. I've spent many an afternoon under the car on a creeper sleeping......
    YOU are my hero! And here I thought I was the only one!

Mmm.....cool floor, comfy creeper with headrest, slow easy pace, zzz's here I come..
    Yeehah