Thread: Chapter 21 - Working on Interior, Already?

Chapter 21 - Working on Interior, Already?

The countdown to Homecoming in May is already on...We will not let another year go by without the car there. We're working feverishly to get done and hit a couple milestones in the last week.

We finally got our e-brake working! We modded the brackets and moved it back in the tunnel for max clearance to the roll bar. Even with that, it's pretty close! Even closer is our clearance on the back side...Moving the brake back in the tunnel puts it within a finger width of the driveshaft safety loop. Despite being awfully snug, it's all there and bolted down.

With the e-brake in place we tackled the insulation. I ordered the aluminized carpet underlayment from JC Whitney since I had used it before and really liked the quality. I bought their big roll thinking I may have some waste and the cost was the same as two smaller rolls...What the heck? Hindsight is 20/20...I have WAAAAY too much. The insulation work is done and I have half left. Oops. Anyone need a deal on carpet underlayment?

Anyway, the dash is getting covered soon and we now also have our reworked door striker plates bolted to the chassis and body. It can be seen in one of the insulation pictures. I'm quite happy with the result and can't wait to get the doors in to try out our handiwork!

Next step - carpeting!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insul1.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	1300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	insul2.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	200.8 KB 
ID:	1301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebrake1.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	1302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebrake3.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	1303  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebrake4.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	1304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebrake6.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	1305  
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

I thought you all might enjoy another picture looking the other way in the cockpit which clearly shows the joys of wiring a car with both EFI and an electronic transmission controller. This is the cleaned up wiring...See picture 2 for the starting point!

Name:	wiremess2.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	1306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiremess3.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	1307  
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

Brian,

I am getting my 289 FIA later this month and I will probably need the extra insulation that you have. Also I'm sure I will have many questions about installing the insulation, wiring, etc. Would you please contact me at

tcolley1@comcast.net

so that I can visit with you about your build?

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Brian, Looks good. That deadline thing is putting the pressure on I can see. Maybe I should have one for my build . Before all the recent posts on E-brakes I had already mounted the handle for my car on the tunnel in front of the roll bar support. I made a custom bracket to catch the end of the cable housing below the floor and brought the cable end up through the floor attaching directly to the handle. I don't have the setup from Unique but working with what I have. Still a work in progress.

Name:	E Brake Handle 4.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	1308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E Brake Handle 3.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	1309  
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Looks good Brian.

Guys don't forget to put pull off springs on your e-brake calipers.
    I attached mine to the frame.
    It keeps the e-brakes working properly.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Tony,
    Our e-brakes seem to be working without the pull off springs, but if we were going to use springs my plan was to use a single spreader spring around the cable and in-between the levers of the e-brake caliper. Is there any reason that would not work?
    Brian Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by nolastyankee View Post
    Tony,
    Our e-brakes seem to be working without the pull off springs, but if we were going to use springs my plan was to use a single spreader spring around the cable and in-between the levers of the e-brake caliper. Is there any reason that would not work?
    Brian,
    That will work but I would use something. Jaguar uses pull off springs.
    the springs on the e-brake calipers are not strong enough to fully release the calipers and this from what I understand is a self adjusting feature in the caliper that needs to be fully pulled off to work.
    Since I installed the pull off springs I haven't had to go in and re-adjust my e-brakes.
    A friend of mine from England told me this information.
    He has a Crendon Cobra replica with a Jag rear.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear