Thread: Surge tank overflow

Surge tank overflow

Recently I ran my car rather hard at a track event and between runs noticed radiator fluid (antifreeze/water mixture) spewed out though, I believe the surge tank cap. The cap is a standard 13 lb Motorcraft radiator cap, securing an aluminum Finishline tank. Of the two small outlets on the Finishline tank, one drains into a puke hose, emtying on the ground. The other is capped off. At the time, I didn't worry about it because there was adequate coolant in the surge tank. I later discovered, the stains will not come out of the brushed aluminum panels under the hood. In previous street driving, I'v never experienced this.
    Should I use a different cap on the tank? Install a coolant recovery tank from capped off surge tank outlet? Install a second puke hose? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Walter

You stated what I would recommend - "Install a coolant recovery tank from capped off surge tank outlet"
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

brushed aluminum

For the brushed panels try Mothers aluminum polish paste and a toothbrush. Used to work well with old motorbikes.

Thanks for the ideas. Is there a particular coolant recovery tank that's best? I tried Flitz metal polish and it just turned the aluminum black, but I'll try Mothers.

I use a Canton coolant recovery/capture tank or "puke tank". I mounted it in the engine compartment on the front of the passenger footbox near the louvers. I was looking for the part number in my notes but could not find it, sorry. Most tracks require that there be a coolant capture tank so you may want to consider it.

Ralph

Walter,

If you look close on the passenger side foot box you can see the top of the Canton tank. Use this link to select a tank that fits your requirements. Good luck. http://www.livermoreperformance.com/canton_tanks.html

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

I notice the Stant radiator caps listed in Phil's link are rated at 16 and 30psi. Do you think one of those, in place of my 13 psi Motorcraft cap might cause the excess fluid to run out of my puke hose instead of through the cap?

I would suggest that you stay with the 13psi if you don't want to distend your surge tank.

Ralph

I'm using the same Canton tank that Phil and Ralph mentioned. The "catch can" part number is 80-200 (1-1/4 qt. capacity).
    Gary

Thanks Gary made a note of the part number for my records.

Ralph

I've used a 15 psi cap since day one on a 63 Mercury surge tank. 13 psi seems a bit light for the job.

-Geary

Wink Lucky

Geary,

15 psi is too much, you are lucky you havn't expaneded the old brass tank.

Even "back in the day" we ran 13 psi caps as I had a 1962 406 cu in engine. You can run a higher psi cap on the stainless steel expansion tanks.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Overflow tank advisable

I too run an overflow tank (Moroso - brushed aluminum). Run a hose from the expansion tank (Ford) into the bottom of the overflow (Moroso). Run a hose off the top of the overflow (Moroso) to the ground. I use a standard radiator cap, but took the pressure spring out - now just a cap, no pressure. This "overfow" tank allows expansion of the engine fluid, but is automatically siphons back to the engine as it cools. Works great and I also race it hard and hot. Water wetter is another good addditive to try. Also don't add too much antifreeze, that enhaces boil over.
    Good Luck!

Thanks for all the great info, but I know just enough to be dangerous, so please bear with me. With references to "overflow" and "expansion" tanks, I want to be sure I understand all of the terminology. In using the word "Surge tank", I'm referring to my Finishline, welded, aluminum version of Phil's chrome tank (with radiator cap) above his thermostat on top of and on front of his engine. The "coolant recovery" tank that I think I need is one of the Canton models Phil speaks of. Am I correct? Sorry to be such a pain in the you know what!
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by wlewis View Post
    Thanks for all the great info, but I know just enough to be dangerous, so please bear with me. With references to "overflow" and "expansion" tanks, I want to be sure I understand all of the terminology. In using the word "Surge tank", I'm referring to my Finishline, welded, aluminum version of Phil's chrome tank (with radiator cap) above his thermostat on top of and on front of his engine. The "coolant recovery" tank that I think I need is one of the Canton models Phil speaks of. Am I correct? Sorry to be such a pain in the you know what!
    Walter
    Walter - that is correct.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Thanks guys! I'm getting there!