Thread: Brake plumbing question

Brake plumbing question

Hi folks-

I'm getting ready to wrap up what plumbing there is left in the brake and clutch system, and I want to make sure I'm not missing something in how the brake lines are run.

The way the lines came in the deluxe pallet kit, there's a line for the rear brakes that runs from the distribution block in the rear, about 3/4 of the way up the inside of the driver's side framerail. From the master cylinder, there's also a line (presumably also for the rear brakes) that runs down the driver's side of the trans tunnel, and ends right right at the back end of the trans tunnel. These lines "overlap" one another by about 3 feet, but are run through different areas of the car.

The only thing I can think of is that these are two potential possibilities for the MC to the rear brakes, I'll pick the one that fits best, and uninstall the other, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something before I take one out.

Anyone seen this?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Big engines in little cars.

289 FIA, 347, Tremec 3550, Edelbrock performer RPM heads, air gap intake, hydraulic roller 227 intake 234 exhaust at .050. Ford Guardsman Blue paint.

Sounds like the one 3/4 down the frame rail is for the Clutch hydraulic slave.
    The one going to the rear of the car inside the trans tunnel is for the brakes.
    Any pictures?
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Wink Options

Or the Clutch Hyd Throw Out Bearing, as some folks don't use Clutch Hyd slave cylinders.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

follow the lines to the m/c's. the outside m/c is clutch. lots of past discussion one routing the lines so close to the headers. many have rerouted over the top of the footbox and or inside the cockpit.

Guys-

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have the clutch line connected to the slave already....it's not the clutch. I can take pics this evening when I get back to the house, but basically what I have is:

clutch master to clutch slave connected
    Front brake master to front brakes connected
    A brake line runs from the master cylinder to the end of the inside of the trans tunnel
    A brake line runs from the rear brake t-fitting up the inside of the framerail

I can clearly see how to run the brake lines independently of this apparent redundancy, but I just wanted to see if there's something I'm missing with the existence of what appears to be an additional line.

Thanks,
    Chris

289 FIA, 347, Tremec 3550, Edelbrock performer RPM heads, air gap intake, hydraulic roller 227 intake 234 exhaust at .050. Ford Guardsman Blue paint.

Chris, I must have run 2 rear brake lines, I need to send you a short line to go with the line attached to the body. Remove the one attached to the brass fitting at the rear susp and I will send the new one today. Sorry.

Alan

Alan - Ah cool, that makes sense. Don't worry about sending the line, I'm working to finish up this week. I'll pick one up at the local auto parts house.

Thanks!
    Chris

Already sent, just keep it for a spare.

Alan

Alan,

Are you still installing the Parking Brake valve next to the drivers seat. Maybe this is the other line he is talking about?

Quote:
    "A brake line runs from the master cylinder to the end of the inside of the trans tunnel"
    Is this the line that goes from the master to the Parking Brake valve?

"A brake line runs from the rear brake t-fitting up the inside of the framerail"
    Is this the line that goes from the rear brakes to the other side of the Parking Brake valve?
    Jer