Thread: Clutch Master / Slave

Clutch Master / Slave

Though I've never had to touch my Brake system, I've gone through several clutch masters and slaves. Part of my problem was due to my brief encounter with synthetic fluid. I typically experience a slight "spongy" feeling that continues to degrade until failure. I was under the car the other day and I noticed fluid in the slave boot. Doesn't this indicate the slave integrity has been compromised? The spring pressure on my clutch is fairly stout (Ram long throw). I figure that can put additional stress on the hydraulic system. Anyone else go through this?
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Tony I'm running silicone fluid in my brakes DOT 5 and they work great. Still on my original master cylinders going on 7 years I think.

In the Cluch and the hydraulic throwout bearing I run NAPA 40-032 heavy duty brake fluid DOT 4. I've never had the spongy feel that you refer to. You may want to consider a change as I've had no problems.

Happy New Year
    Ralph

The slave cylinder you have is a Wagner # SC124111, I would stay with the set up you have, we have had several problems with Hyd throwout bearings lately.

Alan

The problem comes in when you add DOT5 to a system that has been running DOT3. They don't mix well. The Ram site tells you to avoid using DOT5 in a clutch system. Unfortunately I read it late.

Alan, I certainly don't plan on changing anything. I can get the slaves and masters at Summit Racing. They're not expensive, I would just like to see them last for a while. It bummed me out when I saw the fluid in the slave boot. I'm thinking that once the fluid starts getting past the o ring, it's just a matter of time.

The clutch master/slave is something that I keep a close eye on. The line is wrapped with a heat reflective sleeve, and I flush and change the fluid at least once a year - and have replaced the slave every two years. Maybe a bit anal, however, I haven't had any problems or left stranded.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Wouldn't it be great if someone came up with a slave that had replacable O rings.

Wouldn't it be great if someone came up with a slave that didn't need O rings replaced.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

I have never replaced my slave, but I seem to go through clutch masters every year. I put some heat insolation in but still having the same problem.