Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Taillights that work!!

LED Taillights that work!!

Installing LED bulbs in a 289 bodied car or a 427 using the early style rectangular lenses can be a bit of a problem. The bulb holder in the assembly points the bulb upward. LED bulbs are directional beam in nature, so the bulb needs to point into the top "active portion" of the lens. Back in 1994, I made up a conversion holder to provide the proper orientation and installed a pair of 1157 style red LED bulbs from Auto Zone. These use an array of about 13 or so LEDs and work pretty well.

Now I've redesigned my conversion holder to accept a new LED assembly made by Radiantz. It uses 48 LEDs and is the brightest 1157 style bulb made, period. This thing is is like a laser! The bulb was designed for motorcycles that characteristically have small ineffective taillights. If you remember my car (Connecticut registered , #19 numbered) you probably noticed my third brake light. It was originally made to be used as a Harley tailight, and I converted it to a bottom mount so I could use it as a third brake light. It was manufactured by Radiantz and uses 42 LEDs.
    Last edited by Mike Del; February 15th, 2008 at 05:41 AM.
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor

Mike- Have you considered making up any more of your conversion holders??

Phil Souza

Mike and his buddy Tom can make just about anything.

Alan

Hey Phil,
    I can make them in aluminum with the proper bulb holder installed. You would need to purchase two 48 LED bulbs from either Radiantz or one of their resellers. I found the best price at BikerHiway.com
    The part number is 5302-19.

The conversion holders from me would be $75 including shipping. You need to remove the existing bulb holder from the lens. Don't remove the whole backplate. Super easy. I will take a few pics to describe the "how to." With the adapter my grand daughter could install it.

As with all these items:"these are sold for off road and show use only, buyer assumes all responsibility."
    MIKE DEL

Here is a pic of the conversion adapters. Click on image for larger version.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    MIKE DEL

OK Mike- where do I send the check?

Phil

HI Phil,

I just emailed you with the details. Thanks. You are going to be pleased with the results.
    Last edited by Mike Del; February 14th, 2008 at 10:32 AM.
    MIKE DEL

Just a note regarding the use of the 48 LED bulbs made by Radiantz: You will need to use a "no load" solid state flasher with these bulbs, even if you use conventional bulbs in the front turn signals.

Edit: Most LED sellers tell you that you need a no load flasher when using LED bulbs. I've found that if you have incandescent bulbs in the front turn signals, you will still generate enough load to trigger the flasher. Always verify that your signals work when you make the change, just to be sure. So far everyone has been OK with the original flasher.
    Last edited by Mike Del; March 2nd, 2008 at 01:00 PM.
    MIKE DEL

Just finished converting to Mike's LED set-up. The difference is amazing...especially in the daylight. Everything fit and the conversion of the old tail light housing was very simple. My original flasher unit even worked! Very nice job Mike. Highly recommended as a safety update.

Phil Souza

I saw in a recent issue of one of the kit car magazines that has a manufactured version of Led light for a rectangle tail light 289 body style or original 427. I think Finish Line carrys them. May not be as bright?
    Bob

how can I get a new post or thread to show up on the home or new post page?
    Bob

I saw the Kit car article, the unit they showed looked like crap to me. This modern bulb in an original style light looks like the way to go.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Quote Originally Posted by spd4me View Post
    how can I get a new post or thread to show up on the home or new post page?
    Bob
    Bob, From the home page go to the forums page, pick a catagory, and you should find a (New Tread) button at the top left.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Rod - they do look pretty cheesie. That's why I didn't get any. I added the new tread but it didn't show up with all the other "new post". I wanted it to show up there so someone would see it and maybe give me an answer.

Question on those Led bulbs. Would they plug into the sockets that came with car?
    Also thought about somehow removing the bottom half of tail lens (bottom half is a reflector) and using 2 bulbs.
    Bob

Bob,
    The original bulb holder points upward. As I stated in the original post, the purpose of the conversion kit is to properly position the bulb to point its directional beam into the active portion of the lens. This new bulb with its 48 LEDs is unbelievable. You keep the original appearance of the lens assembly. You don't end up with some cheesy looking faked lens.

The modification of the back plate is super easy. I include detailed instructions, very easy. Do not remove the bottom portion of the backplate to try to have light pass through the reflector portion of the lens. The reflector is a federal mandate and you'll note that all vehicles have them. After you get the 48 LEDs on line you'll have plenty of light!!
    MIKE DEL

Great, how can I get a pair.
    Bob

This message purposely deleted. It was a duplicate.
    Last edited by Mike Del; February 29th, 2008 at 05:32 AM.
    MIKE DEL

To order a pair of conversion adapters:

Click on "Mike Del" in this or any post. In the drop down menu click on "email Mike Del." Send me an email and I will respond with my mailing address and information.

Thanks and you will be pleased with the results!
    MIKE DEL

STEALTH SIDEMARKER BLINKERS. I guess I just like LEDs. I just added a pair of LED pods to serve as sidemarker blinkers. They are mounted on the footbox at the top edge of the rear louver opening on each side. They are not visable, unless you know they are there and go looking for them. They work great. I used Radiantz model LLP pods. They are clear in physical appearance and amber when triggered. They each contain 5 LEDs. I'll give info on "how to" if anyone cares.
    MIKE DEL

pics

Where are the pictures?