Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 396Windsor Intake

396Windsor Intake

I've got a FIA with Southern Automotive 396W and what appears to be a Victor Jr. intake. Can't find any numbers or markings of any kind on intake. SA said they grind all names, etc. off to make it look better but grinding would leave some scratches or something. It's a single plane. Looks similar to a Hurricane manifold. I want to install a Eldebrook Air Gap dual plane but it looks like the air gap is 1" higher at the rear deck and that will cause clearance issues with air clearner and hood. Question is has anyone with FIA body installed a RPM Air-Gap?
    Bob

I've got an RPM airgap on my 302 block, and while my current air filter setup doesn't work, it's only because I have a 3.5" tall filter element on it, and the bottom of the filter housing is an inch tall. Misses by about 1/2". I ordered a 2.5" tall filter element, will show up this week, and I'm confident it'll fit. I'm not sure what the nominal height difference is between the flange on an airgap mounted on a 302 vs an airgap mounted on a 351, but I bet it would be easy to find out :^).

All the best,
    Chris
    Big engines in little cars.

289 FIA, 347, Tremec 3550, Edelbrock performer RPM heads, air gap intake, hydraulic roller 227 intake 234 exhaust at .050. Ford Guardsman Blue paint.

Bob,

I finally got around to checking my manifold...it's a Performer RPM with a 600 Holley carb. Sorry it took so long for me to answer but I just now found the thread. My 351 is mild at 410 HP but that is all I wanted for the street and a few "open track days"!

My FFR Spec Racer had a "stock" 302 that put out about 245HP with the factory fuel injection set up. The car would turn over 125 MPH on the short straight at TWS and the front end was getting light at that speed. It had a 3 link set up on the 8.5" stock axle housing with a 3:27 rear end ratio. I was pulling about 6250 RPM's at the end of the straight in 4th gear (TZ-5) with .067 fifth gear.

I think my FIA will do much better with the close ratio TKO 600 (.82 fifth) and a 3:42 rear end. It should handle much better due to the independent rear end and better over suspension geometry.

Regards,
    Terry
    Viking Blue 289 Competition Model
    Southern Automotive 351W
    Tremec TKO 600 5 speed
    3:42 Limited Slip
    3-piece Compomotive 17" Pin Drives

Chris - I'm not 100% sure but I would guess that the 302 block is same as 351. There is another link where someone has a super victor manifold and got a air cleaner that drops down and will take a 3" element. On my fia with victor jr. I changed my holley 750 main body to a Proform and got ride of the choke mechanism. Holly recommends at least 1-3/4" clearance between top of carb and air cleaner lid.

Terry - is your rpm performer an "air-gap". They sit higher than standard rpm.

chris - do a search and enter "air cleaner" you'll find a link entiled Air Cleaner by Justin Upchurch and the one I did under Victor Jr, Air Cleaner by spd4me. On mine I cut the 1" neck that sat on the carb off the air cleaner and then the holes for the carb float screws.
    Bob

A 351w block has 1" taller deck height and the manifolds will not interchange from a 302 to a 351.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

351winsdor intake

Hi Bob ,

I have the set up with the 396 stroker and the Air Gap intake .

It is about 1 inch taller intake than the standard . I had difficulty fitting a breather on the intake with a Holley but , It did fit on an Eldebrook carb with about only 1/8 inch clerance between the hood and breather . I have put about 4,000 miles on my car with this set up and it has not rubbed the hood yet .

If you would like to see the set up , I have pictures of this on the Unique GALLERY under green cars catagory .

Sorry for the late reply . I went to the Dr. last Monday to have a check up and ended up having to have emergency open heart surgery the next day .

I just got home yesterday and reading the Unique web site is the first thing I an trying to do that I can do without moving around much .

I like to keep up with everything going on here anyway.

Hope this was some help .

Rick Findley
    Rick Findley

Rick - one thing for sure, you've got to have a strong heart when you get in one of these cars. hope everything heals up okay. I was afraid od that. Don't want to have to change carbs. I may just take the old manifold off and see if air-gap will fit on a day when nothing better to do.
    bob

It will fit. My car has a Super Victor, which is almost an inch taller than a Vic Jr. or Air Gap.

Justin

Damn Rick! Do you think the Doc needed some vacation money?
    Hope your recovery is quick and good!
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

HI Tony ,

After seeing the results of the cath exam I feel very fortunate and thinkful to even be alive this morning .

The only indication I had about a problem was a bit of shortness of breath in Tokyo several weeks ago .

Only thing I can say is my number was just not up yet .

Had I gotten on the plane as planned, to go to Indonesia , I would not be talking to you today .

After only a week off the operating table I can say I did not realize just how bad feeling I had gotten to . When it comes on gradual you just don't notice it .

I had not been sick more than a cold in the last 30 years so a word to the wise, just because you feel good does not mean you are doing good .

I had just finished some changes on my car and finished a new wooded dash , tightened up the steering and was looking forward to driving my car last week .

Now , it will be 6 weeks before I can drive anything . Gives me something to look forward to I guess .

thanks for your reply ,

Rick Findley
    Rick Findley

Rick,

I'm sure glad that you were able to catch your heart problems in time!

I too had a recent wake up call with a heart condition and know about how you feel now!

Take care and I wish you a speedy recovery!

Regards,
    Terry
    Viking Blue 289 Competition Model
    Southern Automotive 351W
    Tremec TKO 600 5 speed
    3:42 Limited Slip
    3-piece Compomotive 17" Pin Drives

Thanks Terry ,

You realize very quickely what is really important in your life .

So far progressing as well as can be expected .

You are correct . It is a BIG wake up call .

Thanks for your well wishes .

Rick Findley
    Rick Findley

Justin - I remember your thread on the air cleaner. Is your motor a Windsor block. If you measured the distance from the top of the manifold where the carb sits to the top of the manifold where is sits on the back of the motor, how many inches would you have. I'll take a photo this weekend of what I'm asking and post it. I think it is about 5-3/4".
    Bob

Justin
    Here's pic of the dimension I'm asking for. Top of manifold at bottom of carb to top of rear of intake. For some reason, pic won't attach. I'll try later.

Mine looks to be square, around 6 inches in the front and the back.

Justin

heres photo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's what I did, right around six inches from the carb base to the bottom, maybe just a tad short. To run a three inch air cleaner you will need a drop base unit. But don't buy all the hype about air cleaners, at our dyno-day last spring I saw with my own eyes that the stellings air cleaner only cost a stroked FE, that put 400 hp to the wheels, only 8 hp over no air cleaner ( 2 carbs).

Justin

Thanks for the help. Where was it you got your drop base unit?
    bob

air filter assy.

I have the same filter on my little Windsor

http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatec...Category_Code=
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC