Thread: Mystery Leak

Mystery Leak

i folks-

I've got my motor buttoned up, and have been working small items off the list, but I've got a leak that's got me stumped at the moment. Here's what I've got:

- 302 block
    - I'm getting oil splatter on the engine side of the driver's footbox
    - The valve covers are clean (it's not coming from the PCV valve)
    - The valve cover gaskets are also clean
    - There's a hex plug roughly underneath the #8 exhaust header, but it's torqued down, and doesn't appear to be the source
    - The underside of the #8 header (rearmost of the driver's side) shows oil scorching, but I can't for the life of me see where it's coming from.
    - There's very little dripping other than what's showing up on the footbox, and running down to the framerail, etc. This shows up if the car's been running for a few minutes, doesn't take all day driving for it to develop.

The pattern is very clearly a spattering, as if wherever the leak is coming from, it's spraying rather than dripping as far as I can tell.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!
    Chris
    Big engines in little cars.

289 FIA, 347, Tremec 3550, Edelbrock performer RPM heads, air gap intake, hydraulic roller 227 intake 234 exhaust at .050. Ford Guardsman Blue paint.

Nevermind . I didn't realize that there was a hole in the late model blocks for a dipstick. Turns out, there is. Also turns out, it sprays oil at RPMs if you don't plug it. Pretty sure my problem is solved.

Later!
    c
    Big engines in little cars.

289 FIA, 347, Tremec 3550, Edelbrock performer RPM heads, air gap intake, hydraulic roller 227 intake 234 exhaust at .050. Ford Guardsman Blue paint.