Thread: Jag rear alignment "how to?"

Jag rear alignment "how to?"

Can someone point me to a "how to" on how to do a jag rear alignment? I thought I'd found something in a search, but the link was broken....

Thanks!
    Chris
    Big engines in little cars.

289 FIA, 347, Tremec 3550, Edelbrock performer RPM heads, air gap intake, hydraulic roller 227 intake 234 exhaust at .050. Ford Guardsman Blue paint.

Call me when you have time.

Alan

Question Alignment

If you don't have some experience with alignment and don't understand Caster, Camber, Tow In/Tow out, Ride Height it is best left to the Pro's. Also you have to have some basic alignment tools and some parts (jag shims for the rear), (alignment shims for the front) and the knowledge to use them. Also on the rear of the car each wheel must be parallel to the frame before the tow in is set. If you have those bases covered the alignment specification some of us use have been posted on this web site.
    Last edited by eliminator; March 6th, 2008 at 05:18 AM.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

you can easily shim the rear end to get it "close" it is a little tedious but no special skills are involved in the actual shimming ,you will need the alignment pros to verify exact specs, but you can probably get by with a good eyeballing. Alan sent me some shims when i was getting my car running. the alignment shop did not have any shims so if you chose to have them do it make sure they have the parts.

Shims

TRY 1-800-875-5247 PART # C 16621 FOR 1.35 EACH . WWW.WELSHENT.COM .HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYBODY HERE PRICE IS RIGHT.

alignment

you spend all that money on somebody's kit car and then you want to do an eyeball alignment! that's plain dangerous! just take your car to an alignment shop and then enjoy your work of love.
    how do you find a good alignment shop?
    1. how long have they been doing alignments?
    2. how many alignment machines do they have? if they only have one machine then be very careful, but at the same time they could be very good. just ask questions.
    3. if they have 3 or more alignment machines then you found the right place. just get out of their way and let them do what they do best.

shims

A Word To The Wise Take Some Shims With You . Remember Unless They Do Jaguar Rear Ends They Might Not Have The Shims In Stock.

Tom, yes you can get very close EYEBALLING the rear shim requirements, you can easily get your car on the road safely. of course it is desireale to have a professional alignment, but you can get rolling without it.

Eyeballing a-okay!

Yup, you can certainly eyeball it close enough to drive around town and work other bugs out, or get the car to the alignment shop for its final machine alignment under its own power. I've done it on a Mustang, a Chevelle, a CJ-5, a Jeep Cherokee, and two Unique Cobras. Just don't be trying to run 100 mph and you'll be OK.

On the rearends, the most important thing is finding a shop that either 1) knows how to dial in Jag rearends already, or 2) is willing to take the time to learn. Taking it to a shop that has done 99% of their business in rear solid-axle applications can be worse than eyeball alignment at home (learned this the tough way!).

As COBRAGAR said, make sure you bring alignment shims along for the Jag rearend. Unless they deal specifically with Jags or European imports, it is doubtful they'll have them on hand.

I haven't searched, but Eliminator has previously posted a very detailed set of tips for dialing in the rear end. Included is info on ride height, amount of fuel to have in tank, driving around to settle suspension between iterations, etc.
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367