Thread: Homecoming Prep and Concerns

Homecoming Prep and Concerns

In talking to "Dr. Cobra" (aka Alan), we were discussing the soon to be here Homecoming event. Although I have been before, never as a car owner. My situation is that I am relocating and living in Ft Myers and my car is back in Charleston. Still trying to figure out how I am even going to make that drive.

Well Alan was giving me some pointers on how to prep the car and holy cow was I taken by the efforts some folks put forth to prepare for the event. Having seen the cars there, the efforts were worth it to me. He is telling how folks will pull the wheel and brake systems to clean the wheel areas and paint calipers where necessary, waxing the frame, pulling the engine/trans to clean the engine compartment and pulling headers to reach all the piping. Then he goes on to the interior with pulling the seats to clean the interior area well and even pulling the dash panel in some cases.

You guys are going to have to give me a little leeway here. I will not even be able to touch the car except to load on the trailer for the trip to Uniqueville. I look forward to my first Homecoming as an owner but......

Wish me luck and safe travels to all

Ric
    427 SC Orange 406 FE from SA Tremec 600 #4279503

Home Coming Preps

Who does those things that Alan mentioned? It has got to be ONLY the retired owners! I will do the usual under carriage cleaning (I do have a hydraulic lift) and wax job along with any routine maintenance. My hat is off to those who pull seats, headers, engines, trans, etc. in preparation for home coming.
    Dennis M. Swann

WOW! I can't even imagine doing anything like that.
    I usually take the cover off, start it up, gas it up, drive it to Gadsden, then give it a quick dusting in the Unique parking lot.
    These guys must have a lot more time than I have.
    Keith
    Keith

Ric, are you sure Alan wasn't taking you Snipe hunting? If you pull the engine and trans to clean the engine bay, you'd better not let anyone know. Waxing the frame? Don't even go there. Neither could be considered normal human behavior.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Pulling the engine and waxing the frame is just where I start. I normally rebuild both carburators and get my Dremel tool out to polish them into a mirror shine. In preparation, I also sand and buff the entire body to make sure there are no spiderweb scratches. I always buy new valve covers because the old ones get spider web scratches on them when I try to dust them. In addition, I buy new air filters for my two carburators so they retain their pink color. I also change all the fluids, brake, cooling, transmission, rear end, and engine. Then I do a complete 4-wheel alignment after buying 4 new tires. If the wheels have any blemishes, I buy new Halibran wheels. I really don't think you can do enough to prepare for homecoming.
    Jer

Talking Interiors...

I'm really going to hit it hard on the interior this year, as ours is looking a little ratty. Mike Sullivan discovered (accidentally, of course) that foaming engine cleaner at the local coin operated car wash is apparently excellent for cleaning the carpet. He said either spray it on, or let it drip into the interior from the leaky overhead car wash fitting, and let soak. Then, set the machine to "Pressure Rinse" and have at it.

Hey, his carpet was looking good at Pigeon Forge, so who am I to argue?
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Zach, why don't you just grab a snorkle and mask and run her through the auto wash? If you're going to foam the interior anyway.

Wink Prepping for Homecoming.

Waxing the frame and all of the suspension is a must, pulling the wheels to detail the wheel wells is right there with it. Then with the wheels off they must be detailed. Tire pressure checked, nitrogen added as needed. Shock psi checked and pressurized as needed with nitrogen.

Then the engine, a total tune up, (solid lifers adjusted, if applicable) while the valve covers are off spark plug change, oil change, timing checked and adjusted, carb adjusted, float level checked, clean the air cleaner (K&N), change the fuel filter. All fluids checked, brake and clutch fluid changed. Then detail the engine and all components.

Even with all of this the tow vehicle must be detailed to prefection as well as the trailer so ya gotta get started early on these projects.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Talking Driving in the rain...

Tony, I haven't done a carwash, but...

Driving to Gadsden to get our soft top fitted a couple of years ago, it became obvious that there was no way we could dodge the afternoon thundershowers. So, I put my wallet and a dry change of clothes in our chase vehicle, put on gym shorts, a tee shirt, a cap to keep the water out of my eyes, and sandals, and drove straight into the storm. Sandy kept the inside of the windshield toweled off, and all was well.

Fighting to keep from hydroplaning in a light car with big tires was the biggest challenge!

I suppose the the best way to describe that drive is "REFRESHING!"
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

I remember some while back reading a post from someone in South Florida who was driving with his wife to a DSCC event up in Tampa. He hit a major Florida thunderboomer that lasted the entire trip. He described the expressions on the faces of folks in the passing cars as they gazed on these two drenched people driving a bath tub that was rapidly filling. I've always spazzed then I've seen droplets forming on the windshield. I suppose I'm guttless in that regard.

Get over it! The drive from Connecticut to Alabama is just plain fun! Where's your adventurous spirit!!! After many, many, trips down and back - you learn to enjoy the journey. Talk to people, see the sights, get wet, roadside repair (when necessary), have FUN. People at gas stations and motels remember us from previous trips. It's all about enjoying life. COME ON DOWN. Oh, and leave the trailer home.
    MIKE DEL

Your Warranty Voided Here...If you can't open it, it's not yours.

289 USRRC, 357 Magnum Windsor

I've also been caught in many rain storms here in Florida. There is hardly a day you can go out that it isn't going to rain at some time during the day. They pop up all over the place. Clear blue sky one minute and the next minute your in a gully washer.

When my carpet finally needs a change, I won't be putting carpet on the floors. The originals were not carpeted on the floor, but instead were left with bare fiberglass. I'll probably put something like Rhinolining or a similar product on the floor next time to make it look finished and not unfinished and drill a few holes in the low spots to let the water run out. Once the water starts coming in from behind the seats, around the windshield, etc., it all pools in a Unique where the drivers feet rest, so the driver's feet become completely water soaked. A nasty, clammy, uncomfortable feeling, especially when the temps are a little low.

PS. I was just joking about doing all those things to prepare for Homecoming, I drive it like it is. I might vacuum the carpet and wax the body if it's real dirty, but that's about it. I maintain mine throughout the year, and that's good enough in my opinion.
    Jer