Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! Our Homecoming trip could be in danger!

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by RJacobsen View Post
    Alpha-n , XFI, EFI, Speed what?, man I'm glad I just have carberators.

I heard that, Rod.

Brian, glad you are making headway. All this talk has really been keeping us in su-Spence about wether or not you'd make it down. However, we knew that you would work it out, as the EFI is really just a fuel di-Spence-ing system. Looking forward to seeing y'all, now that you have a di-Spence-ation to fix the engine problem. The tough part is all the ex-Spence-s that you have had in getting to this point. I feel for you...

That said, I certainly hope that you don't have any trouble with the su-Spence-ion, front or rear, as that could cause you to di-Spence with the trip altogether.

In any event, I'm sure that, once you get all the bugs worked out, the car will become indi-Spence-able to you.

On your trip south, if you get bored with the drive you could just hum a little tune... sing a song of sixSpence, a pocket full of rye...

OK, OK... enough of this nonSpence!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Accel DFI does not have Alpha-N or a TPS/MAP blend like the MoTec or Redline EFI controllers. I have considered running the TPS input into the MAP sensor since both are linear 5-volt controllers. That is totally uncharted territory and I rather not tread there if I don't have to.

I have been spending lots of time on the GT-40 websites, there are a lot of guys there with stack EFI systems. Most of my conversations have been with guys in Australia and the UK. The Spence car has gone international!

I was lucky to find another guy who is running an Accel on an ITB system and he posted a ECU control file specifically for this type of manifold. As soon as I get the motor screwed together I will give that a try as well.

We should be able to make Homecoming, although the car may not be tuned perfectly. I'll bring an extra set of plugs (or two) in case we foul them and hope for the best!

Some days a carb is a good thing, but once we get this system dialed in there won't be a carb that can compete!
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

How is it going with the EFI tuning? Is it running yet?
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Patrick,
    The car is back together and running, but the tune is not perfect. We have a revised fuel map from Accel that matches our setup and the low rpm running is much better. Unfortunately the mid and high rpm running is not good and overall the car is not very drivable. After much research and discussion we are renting a dyno and an Accel tuning tech for a day to help us get the car set up. It's a tight schedule between now and homecoming!
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"

We welcome show cars as well as go cars to the open house.

Alan