Thread: Seat Adjusters

Seat Adjusters

Along with some other stuff that I ordered from Finish Line, I picked up a set of seat adjusters, so the better half could drive from the left seat instead of the right one
    Anyhow, after looking at them, it appears that they will increase the seat height about 1 3/4". Seems like a lot. A couple pictures are attached.
    Does anyone have a set installed that Unique provided? Do they look like the ones I have? If not, how much increase in seat height did you find?
    Before I install these, I'm going to lay down a couple 2X4's under the seat to see what 1 1/2" lift feels like. Hopefully my head/eyes will still be below the wind shield frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02728-1.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	1409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02730-1.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	1410  
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim I have seat adjusters I got from Jegs JAZ #0547 450-011-03. I think they are like an inch or so high. (That Jegs number is like 5 years old.) Anyway I raised the front of the seat about 2 inches and the back is flush with the floor. I built a little inclined track for the adjusters to set on as they don't run the full depth of the seat which allows the back of the seat to be flush with the floor. So you may consider that if you choose to use your sliders. I think a couple of inches in the front is good as it gives good thigh support.

Ralph

Thanks for the info Ralph. Raising the front of the seat for more comfort is what I did to my older car. I thought I'd do the same on this car too, but wondered how high the seat would go with those tracks under it too. I like your inclined track trick and will see if these will adapt. Meanwhile, I'll go over to Jegs site and see what they have.
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Jim,
    I have two of the Uniques seat sliders in my cabinet.
    Do you want to compare them to yours?
    I can bring them over today as I was going for a cruise/test drive in my car.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Jim,

Those are similar to the tracks Unique uses. Yes, they will raise your seat position about one inch which is a lot if you are not short. Your hat will probably start blowing off. I redesigned my seat cushion which lowered my seating height an inch and made the seats much more comfortable. It was a very easy mod that can be done by any furniture apolstery shop. I described my seat mod with pictures on this forum someplace.

To lean my seat back on the rails, I just added a longer "stove" bolt between the top of the seat rail and the fiberglass seat frame and then cut some 1/2 inch Schedule-40 PVC pipe (thick wall PVC pipe) to fit over the front bolt between the seat bottom and rail -- took 5 minutes and I could change it easily if I wanted it higher or lower by just re-cutting the PVC pipe length (and it won't rust if it gets wet). You might have to cut the bolt length to match the length of your PVC pipe or just buy several bolt lengths from the hardware store until you find a length you like the most. I used a neoprine locking nut on the bolt end which is inside the sliding rail so it wouldn't vibrate loose. The smooth head of the stove bolt is what your cushion sits on (up), not the nut end (down). Works great.

The seat adjustment lever will hit the 5th safety belt attachment on the floor that goes between your legs. The belt could cause your seat not to lock in the forward most position because it hits the release lever and could make it difficult to activate the seat release lever. You will either need to move the 5th seat belt attachment forward or just don't use it.
    Last edited by Jerry Cowing; March 22nd, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
    Jer

Good point on the seat slider lever Jer the Jegs units have theirs on the front but to the left side so they don't interfere with the crotch belt anchor point. Have a good Easter Jer.

Ralph

Jim,
    On the Unique sliders the 5/16 carriage bolts go down through the wood and the nuts are installed on the track side with flat washers and lock nuts.
    I know you probably figured that out but I just wanted to make a note to you about it as the tracks have square holes in them which could make you think it is the other way.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    Jim,
    On the Unique sliders the 5/16 carriage bolts go down through the wood and the nuts are installed on the track side with flat washers and lock nuts.
    I know you probably figured that out but I just wanted to make a note to you about it as the tracks have square holes in them which could make you think it is the other way.

Actually Tony, they're still sitting on the workbench. The "plan" was to do them yesterday, but we got tied up with my tax accountant. Too depressed to do anything when we got home so maybe one night this week I can start it. Thanks for the heads up on the mounting and screw orientation.
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harding View Post
    Actually Tony, they're still sitting on the workbench. The "plan" was to do them yesterday, but we got tied up with my tax accountant. Too depressed to do anything when we got home so maybe one night this week I can start it. Thanks for the heads up on the mounting and screw orientation.
    No problem Jim.

You must owe. If I can come away even I am happy.
    Tony