Thread: Cobras politically acceptable?

Cobras politically acceptable?

Reading this article in Automotive News makes me wonder if Cobras will become politically acceptable, mabe even politically correct.

"Legislation setting a minimum sound level for vehicles sold in the United States by as early as 2010 is expected to be introduced today in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The bill would require the U.S. Secretary of Transportation to lead a study to determine if a minimum sound level is needed to protect pedestrians, specifically the blind. And if such a level is necessary, the bill would set it.

U.S. Reps. Edolphus Towns, D-N.Y., and Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., are sponsors of the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2008. The proposed legislation stemmed from concern that blind pedestrians may be put in danger because of quiet-running hybrid and electric vehicles.

" The beneficial trend toward more environmentally friendly vehicles has had the unintended effect of placing the blind and other pedestrians in danger," Towns said in a statement. " As someone who taught travel with a white cane to the blind for many years, I understand that the sound of traffic is critically important in order for them to travel safely and independently."

Maybe it will be the opposite of carbon tax credits. The higher the decibel level of your exhaust, the bigger the tax credit. It's only fair.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

I think Tony and wlewis might be on to something there! I can personally vouch for the need for a minimum sound level. We bought my wife a new Toyota Highlander Hybrid a year or so ago, and the damn thing doesn't make any more noise than an electric golf cart. I have to honk the horn when I'm backing it out of the garage to get the dogs attention! And it helps cancel out the emissions from the Cobra and my diesel truck, plus it gets 30+ mpg (ah, finally got to use the thumbs up!)
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Farout and totally cool. I'll raise a glass (or two) to that one. I figure I'll be burning about 40% more fuel with forced induction so it would be great to have a tax credit on the extra noise produced to offset fuel costs. As stated: Fair is fair. I just love it. Everything works out.
    God bless us - one and all!
    -Geary

(Farout and totally cool.) Mid to late 60's Terminology - Email me if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post

(Farout and totally cool.) Mid to late 60's Terminology - Email me if you have any questions.
    Geary, I don't think you will get any questions from this group. I for one understand you totally.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

It's a little embarassing (and a testimate to my age), but I came back from lunch one day up in State College and parked our company car in front of the office (BMW X3). In my feeble defense, I was talking on the cell phone and didn't realize the engine was even running as I exited the vehicle. The only way you can tell is by the dash lights. I went to my office and three or four hours later, as he was leaving, one of my staff called and asked why the Bimmer engine was running in the parking lot. I still feel like a moron. I never have that problem with the Cobra.

Yeh Geary's "Working on a groovy thang" I'm hip to that!
    bob

Just got these from my son, What up dawg, whats the Haps, Sick, Sweet, Gnarley, Dope, Riding the Whip. If you understand any of this you might be from generation X.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

I do understand quite a bit of it. In 93 my ex left and I ended up raising my kids. I made it a point to try to stay aware of the current slang, trends, and music. I used to tell them "it's gotta be a b##ch when your dad is hipper than you". The really interesting part is that my son acted like the responsible one of the family by the time he was 21. While he was in bed early on Friday & Saturday nights to be at his job at 6:00 AM, his friends would stop by take me out for a good time in his place. I'll still go out on summer nights to hookup with the local street "Tuners". I don't go to preach old-school. I go to shutup, listen, and learn. These kids are in many cases very good at what they do. They are just like us in 1969. If you can imagine say 20 cars about 30 kids. No stereos on and not an engine turning. Basically good kids just hangin and bench racing.
    -Geary

What's up dawg & What's the haps = What's happening
    Sick, Sweet, Gnarley = All positive terms such as cool, great, etc with sick implying being cool in a more outrageous, extreme, or dangerous fashion.
    Dope = Great or I'm down with that.
    Riding the whip = 2 different meanings. Cruising in your fine vehicle or "Sick" (Totally Dangerous) way of operating a vehicle. Sick version is short for "Ghost Riding the Whip". The driver gets out of a moving vehicle as it rolls along at low speed and walks, runs, or dances along side of it.
    Last edited by Aggressor; April 12th, 2008 at 03:12 AM.

Blast from the past

Check out this link (hopefully it works). This is a great site if you're in your 50s.

http://www.moreoldfortyfives.com/Tak...TheSixties.htm

Cool link Tony, couldn't stop watching it even though I should be finishing my taxes right now.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.

If any of you ole boys were part of the west coast surfin seen, or even if you were a pseudo, when something was really "boss", you were "stoked", if it was sweet, it was "cherry". That was back when I couldn't get me no satisfaction and life was a gas with "jumpin jack flash". If you knew what that stuff was you were probably running with the wrong crowd.
    bob

Quote Originally Posted by spd4me View Post
    If any of you ole boys were part of the west coast surfin seen, or even if you were a pseudo, when something was really "boss", you were "stoked", if it was sweet, it was "cherry". That was back when I couldn't get me no satisfaction and life was a gas with "jumpin jack flash". If you knew what that stuff was you were probably running with the wrong crowd.
    bob
    Guess I was hang'in out with the wrong crowd....... but DAMN, it was fun!!!!
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)