Thread: Long distance buying. Sight unseen

Long distance buying. Sight unseen

For all of you out there that have done this in the past, how do you handle buying a car thats thousands of miles away?

If you have the vin number and a few details about the car I might be able to help.

Alan Weaver
    256-546-2395

Here's the description. I will post the VIN # as soon as I get it.
    1967 Shelby Cobra Replica built in 1993 by Unique Motorcars VIN #9197.
    Has a Ford Motorsport 5.0 liter HO cratemotor.
    4 Speed toploader transmission.
    Jaguar independent rear suspension.
    19, 691 original miles on motor.
    Has original style smithwarner gauges.
    Car is registered in NY State as a 67 Cobra. Transferable registration.
    Car needs tlc: seatcovers cracking, driverside wind deflector broken, minor stratches, carpet in driver's footwell torn.
    Good driver, runs great, not a perfect show car, perfect for someone that is handy and would like to do minor work.
    Located in Smittown, NY. Would 15-18k be a reasonable price for the car?
    Last edited by Roar with Gilmore; July 7th, 2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: obtained additional information

If it's as you describe, yes. I paid more for my much older Unique driver years ago and thought I stole it.
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

That is a good price, you can spend a few thousand and still make money. I think it is a 289 car, also it wasn't built by us, it was sold to HRE Motorcars in kit form. HRE is still in business, they are in Freeport, Long Island.

long distance

I bought a Boss in Minneapolis and had it shipped to Alabama. The seller took about 10% certified funds to ship and I paid the balance on arrival with certified funds also. He arranged shipping and it all worked well. I did, however, get to see the car in Minneapolis before hand. I would probably not buy something without someone doing an indepent inspection or at least a quick inspection myself. i don't know how it works but there are people who throw a car with a low ball price just to gain access to your financial instrument.

My car is a 92## car with a small block and that money would not come close to buying it.

Roar, where are you located? You may be able to find someone on the forum that could at least take a look at for you.

Just a thought.....
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

I saw the car on Ebay today, it needs alot of work and would take several thousand to bring back, not sure I would take the chance. It looks like it has been stored in a very damp garage, all chrome needs replacing along with the interior and probably paint.

I'm in Southern California. If there is anyone close enough to take a look at it for me, I would appreciate it greatly. The car is in Smithtown, NY. and the owners contact number is (516) 316-1702 after 5pm.
    Thanks to all for your help.