Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homecoming 2008/ 1 Week Countdown

Talking Homecoming 2008/ 1 Week Countdown

Ok, 7 days and I will be on the road. Tow vehicle getting the treatment now, Trailer this week-end.
    Wash and clean up, rotate tires, clean air filter, ect.
    Looks like we will have high rain chances Friday through next Tuesday, better now than latter.
    Hope everyone is making good progress.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Homecoming finally

I wasn't able to finish my car and sort it out in time to attend Homecoming 2007. I'm good to go for Homecoming 2008. It was great driving the car last summer and fall. Over the winter I replaced a leaking Clutch MC, replaced the oil pan gasket, and reset the intake manifold (leak along the rear intake runner), changed the oil pressure gauge line from nylon to braided steel, and other smaller stuff. I have the car in the best running condition its been in. My dad is flying in from Arizona this weekend, and we'll be leaving by mid-day next Wednesday for AL. We're coming from Naperville, IL. I've decided to trailer the car. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash for a tow vehicle, or an enclosed trailer. I found only one outfit in the Chicago area that will rent me a truck and enclosed trailer, and he wants $1,500 for 5 days - I'm not doing that!! I'm going with a reasonably priced U-Haul truck and open trailer. I treat the car as a driver (45 mile round trip commutes to work about once a week), so I don't think I'll be too concerned about paint chips from kicked up stones, etc. during the trip down. I plan on trailering it with the soft top and side curtains on, and no cover to avoid paint damage from a flapping cover. Does anyone have any helpful tips on trailering a Unique for 1,300 miles? Beyond that, I'm justing looking forward to meeting some of the folks I've come to know while consulting the Fourm during my car build, and just having a good ol' time in Gadsden. We'll see you soon.

Dick Untch

Smile Homecoming finally

I wasn't able to finish my car and sort it out in time to attend Homecoming 2007. I'm good to go for Homecoming 2008. It was great driving the car last summer and fall. Over the winter I replaced a leaking Clutch MC, replaced the oil pan gasket, and reset the intake manifold (leak along the rear intake runner), changed the oil pressure gauge line from nylon to braided steel, and other smaller stuff. I have the car in the best running condition its been in. My dad is flying in from Arizona this weekend, and we'll be leaving by mid-day next Wednesday for AL. We're coming from Naperville, IL. I've decided to trailer the car. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash for a tow vehicle, or an enclosed trailer. I found only one outfit in the Chicago area that will rent me a truck and enclosed trailer, and he wants $1,500 for 5 days - I'm not doing that!! I'm going with a reasonably priced U-Haul truck and open trailer. I treat the car as a driver (45 mile round trip commutes to work about once a week), so I don't think I'll be too concerned about paint chips from kicked up stones, etc. during the trip down. I plan on trailering it with the soft top and side curtains on, and no cover to avoid paint damage from a flapping cover. Does anyone have any helpful tips on trailering a Unique in an open trailer for 1,300 miles? A truck and trailer is defintely in my future. Beyond that, I'm justing looking forward to meeting some of the folks I've come to know while consulting the Fourm during my car build, and just having a good ol' time in Gadsden. We'll see you soon.

Dick Untch

Dick
    1300 miles is only a 3 day ride and you will get more enjoyment than hauling a trailer!

Tom Melia

Wink Take your time

Dick,

Don't get in a big hurry, take your time and you will be just fine. Be sure to get your tire pressure right on the tow vehicle and trailer.
    See you in Gadsden.
    Rick

Rick: Thanks for the tire pressure tip. We'll see you in Gadsden.

Dick

Home Coming 2008

1300 miles in 3-days..........I did Birmingham to Mexico and back (2400 miles) in 3 days on a motorcycle. Return leg from Lake Charles. LA to Birmingham was in the rain.....at night!
    Dennis M. Swann

Smile 3 day countdown

Off this week, boy the weather has changed, 58 the high today, but the sun is out so far. Most of the work is done, a few little items to do and tomorrow will be load the trailer day.
    I hope everyone going to Homecoming had a productive week-end and got there lists knocked out.
    Looks like some nice weather this week with some rain chances Friday night and Saturday AM.
    Rick

Will load Thunder tonight

Trailer washed and waxed, Explorer's oil/filter changed, Thunder's oil/filter changed, Thunder's coolant changed, tire pressures checked. Will load tomorrow, pulling out on Wednesday at 6:00 AM (if Sandy is ready, of course). Can't wait to start south and meet everyone. Rain here today, but weather should clear for the trip. Safe hauling and driving to all. See you soon.

Come

three days rain--all gone now--weather for thurs.-fri.-sat- here calls for showers fri., sat., so bring your cover and top.Will be warm, so thats good. RICK--I arsn,t waxing the frame ,but I am wiping it down good.ALL-SO-EVER COME.Will-alabama

Smile 1 day out

38 degrees this morning, had rain and strong winds yesterday PM. Went from 60 to 46 in 1 hour. Sure nice to have that big heated/A/C garage with the lift.
    Looks like a cold day for loading up as the mid 50's is all we can expect. We will leave about 7 AM tomorrow and the weather looks good for the trip to Gadsden, low 70's and sunny.
    Going to be a cold day for cutting the grass.........
    Everyone drive safely, be patient, take your time and enjoy the trip.
    Rick

Thumbs up Good to go!

Brian and I returned from Oklahoma City late last night after a day on the Dyno which got the Spence car running like a Swiss watch. It was quite an experience, but not for the faint of heart. The things they put your new motor through are very un-nerving to the owner. More details in Gadsden. Just a few housekeeping details on the car today, and we are off tomorrow AM. As we are now realizing, and something all of the rest of you have figured out, is the car will never be finished to the degree that you want. But thats a good thing, because this has been a great experience so far. Everyone drive safe and we will see you in Gadsden Thursday afternoon.

Bill (Brians dad)

Will get to see you guys this year afterall, Greg & I are heading south thursday am.
    jerry
    Work in Progress, 400+hp 351C CHI-3V Heads, Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black by Greg & Jerry Porter

Homecoming

Everyone have a great time and be safe!
    I miss seeing everyone. Oh yea, the Top O' the River too.

Burn up those cameras
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

We are eating at Top O The River at 6PM so if you get into Gadsden around that time go straight to the restaurant.

Alan

This is about to kill me but as mentioned earlier, Jodina and I are aren't able to make Homecoming this year. So drink one or three for me At Top of the River, give the pretty women rides Friday and put some rubber on the road Saturday!!

And most importantly, take em home in the same shape as they got there. Be careful and have fun, I'll be thinking about you all.

Kelly and Jodina

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    God speed to all the travelers out there this week. Be safe, and see you in Gadsden!

For all those who are not coming... Quick! Change your mind before you miss out on a really great weekend. This is a fun time with great people and good eats.

The real question is, "Is someone, by the name of Kelly whose name I won't mention, turning into a slacker, or what?" Bummer Kel! We'll miss you and Jodina... well... we'll miss Jodina, anyway.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

No slacker here. One in collage, one getting married this summer, cost of fuel vs 1600 mile trip, but the straw that broke the camels back was the water well that crapped out a few weeks ago. There went my water and the Homecoming funds...........

I know it will be tough without me but everyone try and have a great time!!!!!!!

Sun Spot

Have fun everyone.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by bittentoo View Post
    No slacker here. One in collage, one getting married this summer, cost of fuel vs 1600 mile trip, but the straw that broke the camels back was the water well that crapped out a few weeks ago. There went my water and the Homecoming funds...........

I know it will be tough without me but everyone try and have a great time!!!!!!!

Sun Spot
    Ya, I know how stuff can happen Kelly. Sorry that you won't be there.
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear