Thread: transmission mount, crossmember dilema

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

transmission mount, crossmember dilema

In the process, of fabricating a drive shaft loop yesterday, my buddy noticed my shifter linkage is hitting the tranny cross member , first to second in particularly, also reverse.
    I have a few questions. My tranny mount looks a little tired and I would like to replace it. I have a 428,toploader, Jag rear…is this something I could just get at an auto parts store or does it need to be special ordered? What do ask for?
    As far as the linkage interference, it looks as though if I just added a few more washers between the mount and the tranny, it would be fixed, at present I have about ½ inch in washers on each side, if I added more washers, it would change the angle of the driveshaft, at present, my tranny is LOWER than the rear, so the driveshaft is going up hill toward the rear, is this correct? The pad that is welded onto the crossmember that the mount goes on is on the bottom of the crossmember, is this correct? It looks as though you could flip the whole crossmember upside down, putting bthat flat tab on top of the crossmember, that would bring the tranny up at least 1.5 inches, solve my interference problem, but I don’t thik it is correct. What is the proper configuration of these parts and what is the proper shimming procedure for the mount to the tranny.
    I will try to post some pics, thanks guys, I appreciate it!!
    There is also an excell;ent shot of my driveshaft in this thread,

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5471 Post # 20

Regards…Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3707.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	1465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3708.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	1466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3709.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	1467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3710.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	1468  

Last edited by davids2toys; May 16th, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.