Thread: Has anyone built a Unique with a Boss 302/8.2" Clevor?

Has anyone built a Unique with a Boss 302/8.2" Clevor?

As I get closer to the day I can order, I've been formalizing plans for the drivetrain.

I've always loved Cleveland-headed motors, but want an 8.2" alloy block motor for the light weight. I've decided to build a "Small-port Boss 302" by combining an 8.2 alloy block with some aftermarket alloy 351-C 2-V (small port) heads. By using the 2-V small port heads I hope to preserve the great low end drivability that the 351-2V Clevelands had, but also allow for a high revving SBF--the heads I've chosen are said to flow enough air to support 600 horsepower out of the box. Induction will be via a Track-Boss Clevor manifold and Mas-Flo EFI. Mas-Flo has already assured me they can drill and tap my Track-Boss manifold so their EFI system will work.

I realize this isn't period correct, but that's OK with me, this is going to be my retirement toy.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if I'm "....going where no man has gone before" or if this path has been tread already.

Thanks for whatever info y'all may be able to provide!

Dugly
    YD,E./PNB

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." (Daniel H. Burnham)

Dugly, Although I have not built the set up you talk about I wanted to years ago when I was modifing the 289 HIPo in my Mustang. At that time (over 30 years ago "Wow") it was a "do-able" project using mostly OEM parts. Today, given the selection of after market heads avaliable, I don't think your end result will have any performance advantage over a more conventional approach. On the other hand these cars are all about doing things your way and having story's to tell about it, so I say go for it, I for one will be watching the progress.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

"Clevor"

Talk to Mark McKeown at MME
    http://www.mmeracing.com/

He is VERY good at the Clevor combinations.

The C.H.I. "Aussie" Cleveland heads make a ton of power and are very reasonable.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    The C.H.I. "Aussie" Cleveland heads make a ton of power and are very reasonable.
    I'll give Mark a call. Didn't know about him, thanks, Brent!

However, I'm familiar with the CHI 3-V heads, the ports are so big the port velocity will suffer and I'll lose low end torque. Check these out:

http://www.ausfordparts.com/afd2v.html

Pretty good flow figures for 2-V size ports and a choice of combustion chamber CC's.

Thanks again for the link, I'll check it out!

Doug
    YD,E./PNB

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." (Daniel H. Burnham)

If you wind up with a canted valve setup, no matter which heads, Mark Mcknown is who you want for your cam. He's great and knows what it takes to make clevelands run!

Kelly