Thread: Gauge tubing/hose kit?

Gauge tubing/hose kit?

Does anybody have a part number or know offhand the stainless steel flex hose kit they used to hook up the oil pressure gauge? Both our cars have the el-cheapo nylon tubing and we need to convert to the SS for reliability/safety.

I'm assuming we need 6 ft length, but I'm trying to figure out if the Summit brand SS gauge kit will work or not. The Stewart Warner piece is nearly double the price of the Summit one; I just don't know if the Summit kit has the right adapters to mate up to the SW gauge.

Thanks!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Wink NO Kit

I just bought the braided S/S line and the fittings and made up my own. Don't remember the size, the line was a little smaller in diameter than a pencil. I cut my line with a cut off wheel (Dremmel Tool), works great, easy to do.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Zack,

I ordered a "kit" for mine through Speedway Automotive catalog.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

Kit#617-4060-48 AN4 Braided Hose Gauge Kit $19.99

Includes: 1 ea 5D06F2 910-31847-4 48" Brake Line Straight
    1 ea.5D20D3 617-4025 Presss Gauge FTG #4-1/8 FEM
    1 ea.5F01D1 324-961604 St.Adaptor #4 to 1/8" NPT

It worked just fine except I think a 45 degree or 90 degree adaptor would have fit just a little easier.

That's what I have on my Viking Blue 289 FIA Competiton Roadster

Hope this helps some.

Regards,

Terry
    Terry
    Viking Blue 289 Competition Model
    Southern Automotive 351W
    Tremec TKO 600 5 speed
    3:42 Limited Slip
    3-piece Compomotive 17" Pin Drives

Thanks!

Yeah, I guess the question I should have asked was really:

What is the fitting/connection size & type on the back of the Stewart-Warner oil pressure gauge?

I'm going to look at the Speedway kit or go Rick's route and make my own now that I know about the fittings. I DON'T want to wind up with a bunch of extra hose coiled up under the dash.

Thanks!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Zack,

I bought my SS braided line from a local business that makes hydraulic lines for farm tractors, etc. They will have all the necessary fittings and have probably satisfied requests for this modification many times.

Use the original nylon tube from the gauge through the firewall, then attach the SS to the nylon tubing on the engine side of the firewall. Attach the other end of the SS to where your current nylon line attaches to the engine. Very easy installation - don't have to remove the dash and worry about attaching SS directly to the gauge.
    Jer

Copper for Me

I replaced the supplied plastic tubing with COPPER. Found it at an Advance Auto store. It was in the H.E.L.P. section that has all types of generic replacement parts (ie: drain plugs, door handles, oil fill up caps, grommets, etc.) Very inexpensive, even came with ferrels and nuts to secure. Just be carefull not to pinch the tubing when sizing the length. I especially like the vintage look of copper, stainless is too shiny for my taste. Best of luck to you!

Oil Pressure

JS,

I used the kit from Summit and it worked fine with the SW gauge. By the time I routed the line to hide it from view, I did not end up with any extra behind the dash. Hope this helps.

Ric
    427 SC Orange 406 FE from SA Tremec 600 #4279503

zach, made my own. use #3 stainless line with the teflon liner for high pressure and aeroquip AN fittings that have a ferrel for sealing. throw in a couple of #3AN adapters . local speed shop guy should be able to fix you up for something under a hundred bucks. hope your first fathers day was enjoyable. congrtats. later, brian.

Zach,

I have AutoMeter gauges and got a pre-made ss line through Summit.
    I think mine was 6' long. They have them in different lengths.
    Not sure if it will fit your Stewart-Warner gauges.
    Jeff

Unique 427 S/C #4279451
    Survival Motorsports FE482
    4 Speed Toploader (Nascar close ratio)

gauge

Zach the gauge should be 1/8" npt male.

Get a 1/8 npt to AN (37 degree) fitting and then get the correct length Aeroquip stainless hose. They are already made and have AN fittings on each end. Super easy much better than the copper/plastic situation.
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC