Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toggle Switch and SPAL Fan

Toggle Switch and SPAL Fan

Any of you guys experience any problems with running your SPAL fan off the toggle provided by Unique? Yesterday, coming home from the Nor Cal breakfast in near 100 heat, I flipped on the fan but the toggle felt a bit odd - like no clicky-clicky. The switch is DOA.... just wondering if the current for the fan is to much for these toggle switches over time (3-years). Temps in the low 90's mañana, so I plan on replacing it with one of the spares.

Just curious.....
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Lucas switches are very delicate.

It shouldn't have a big draw as my SPAL fan came with a relay but I did get the thermostat switch and that harness came with a relay.

If you don't have a relay for the fans I would install one or two.
    The relay coil has a small amp draw and the relay takes the heavy load of the fans.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Tony,

No relay... direct connect. Any specifics on the relay?

Thanks in advance.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Phil,

I bought a Bosch SPDT 20 AMP relay to use my Spal Fan on Ebay for around $5.00 . I found the following diagram as a guide http://www.ado13.com/techs/relay.htm
    Hope this helps ...

Bob

Phil,
    I bought relays for my headlghts from the local auto parts store in the fog light area. They are very good quality and come with a wiring diagram.
    They will work on the fans.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Phil,

I got the relay and wire kit from Spal. I ran the wire inside the loom from Unique and used the factory toggle switch.
    Jeff

Unique 427 S/C #4279451
    Survival Motorsports FE482
    4 Speed Toploader (Nascar close ratio)

Toggle Switches

I changed all of mine to Lucas just because.....

Unless Unique has changed they do not use the Lucas Switches. Anyway it dosn't matter if they are Lucas or some other manufacture the life span is short, (3-4 years) on most. I am sure that if they are used a lot it might be shorter. I keep a spare on hand in the garage. The fans are toggled a lot and that switch seems to go first, my first one made it 4 years and about 5,500 miles.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Toggle quality & relay

Phil,

First, Rick is correct on toggles - none of them seem to be really high quality. Gives you a real warm & fuzzy feeling when you start thinking about how many toggles are in airplanes, ships, and other fairly critical machinery...

Second - you really need to go to a relay for powering the SPAL, if for no other reason than to get the rated performance out of it. With the two OEM fans running on the car, I think I remember reading something like 10.75 V at the leads on the motors. So, hooking the SPAL straight to that would have dropped voltage more, and it wouldn't generate its full flow. Instead, I just spliced in to the OEM fan lead for the trigger wire on the SPAL relay, then pulled the actually fan power straight from the alternator connection with a #10 (I think?).

Good luck!
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Thanks for all the input..... I'll work on it today.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Fans/Toggle Switch

I added the Spal to the original "egg beaters", all three run when I switch the dash toggle. No issues, worked for three years now, switch feels good, but a spare would be smart.

Quote Originally Posted by davebetts View Post
    I added the Spal to the original "egg beaters", all three run when I switch the dash toggle. No issues, worked for three years now, switch feels good, but a spare would be smart.
    That's the set-up I have no issues for 3+ years, then nothing, nada, fineto. I should consider myself lucky since this is the only thing that has died on me while on the road.... no problems with the ignition switch, master cylinders, clutch slave, etc.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

I've also got three fans (including 16" Spal) running through one of the dash toggles. I've been running it for 3 or 4 years. Maybe my time is near. Seems like a reasonably heavy duty switch though.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

i just used a 40amp relay that carries the load. The switch carries 12 volts and no amps to run my puller fan and pusher fans , lights and etc. The relay carries the load.

Pat, you up for the Dave and Buster's car show this weekend? It's the 29th.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

ya tony but its going to rain probably

Switch

Funny,

I read this thread yesterday and later in the day, took the car out for a spin. Guess What - my fan switch failed!!! Noticed the temp climbing at the light with the switch on... Fortunately, I was close to my destination and changed the switch (exchanged wiper for fan)

The Car is almost a year-old and I do use the toggle (fan) often... I guess I need to buy spares...

Thoughts on any upgrades out there?

Thanks,

Gino

My 2004 289FIA was prewired with an extra circuit in the fuse box for a 20 amp. I ran my extra spal through it and and new toggle on dash and haven't had any problems.
    Bob

Is anyone out there eliminating the toggle completely by useing a temp sensor and relay to run the fans? or is that to modern of a convinience for these cars?
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Rod,

Lots of guys use sensors..... I just prefer the toggle.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

I use a sensor but have the toggle as a back-up.
    Tony