Thread: Cylinder Head Question

Question Cylinder Head Question

I lost a chunk of my header gasket on Friday .... I forgot to check the header bolts this spring! Pulled the header off today and hope to have it back together as soon as my new gaskets and split lock fasteners arrive from Jegs, hopefully later this week. While I have it apart, I was examining the head and discovered a serial number stamp just above the header flange. I've never been able to figure out what brand of aluminum heads I have and was wondering if the serial number I found would help identify them. Does "SN 35950-2" ring any bells? Inquiring minds want to know ... Seriously, if any of you recognize this number, please let me know.

Bob

be careful with those split lock fasteners, i had two bolts snap before getting to recommended torque also the set screws would strip out before reaching suggested torque. sent mine back and went with allen heads with lock washers

I run regular header bolts woth copper gaskets.
    I did have an issue with header bolts backing out with the regular header gaskets.
    Since the switch to the copper gaskets I have had no problems.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

If their aren't any names on the front or rear of heads you may want to contact some of the major head makers and send them you SN #. Air Flow heads have AFR on front and I would think Edelbrook. Mine are Trick Flow and they don't have a name anywhere. I bought a set of copper gaskets and the corners were round and my heads were square. Sent back and got a set of Holley square hole aluminum and have worked fine.
    Bob

Bob

I took your advice and e mailed Trickflow, Dart and Edelbrock. I received a very prompt (a couple hours!) response from the Trickflow who told me that my heads were TFS-51400002 twisted wedge heads. Thanks again for the tip.

Bob

I also gave up on using the Percy's split lock bolts. There wasn't enough clearance to get a twelve point socket on some of the bolt heads. I'm back to six point bolts drilled for safety wire.

Bob