Thread: Spanish lessons

Spanish lessons

He can't even figure out why English should be our national language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZprtPat1Vk

I don't know where he has been but are schools teach other languages.
    My oldest has had 4 years of Spanish and my youngest has had 2 and wants to take German in High school.

He is a dope. This shouldn't even be an issue. English and only English.
    Go to France and see if their government offers to non French speaking people what ours does for non English speaking people.

In this age of the internet you can't get away with playing to one crowd without upsetting another.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

This is what happens when your policies are soft and you find it necessary to be so dammed politically correct that you prostitute common sense. As an insurance adjuster, my wife deals with medical facilities, doctors, lawyers, clients and claimants daily. She refuses to speak to anyone that can not carry on a basic conversation in daily transactional English. She askes that they return the call when a person functional in conversational English can be located simply to eliminate miscommunication on sensitive issues. It's time for all of us to just say NO! We need solid basic standards to provide structure in the nation. Not screwing around in the chaos of a multilingual free for all. We should welcome legal immigrants but not coddle them to the stupid state of affairs we have today.

Alexander Hamilton insisted that “The safety of a republic depends essentially on the energy of a common national sentiment; on a uniformity of principles and habits; on the exemption of citizens from foreign bias and prejudice; and on the love of country...”

Most Americans support continuing this welcoming tradition. But to do so successfully, we have to protect our unique American civilization, end dual allegiance, and ensure that English remains our language of government and public discourse.

- Geary

Being a Canadian I might have a different view of this whole thing but it does seem that Obama has never been to Europe, or if he was there he had his eyes closed. The place uses 27 languages. If a Dane or Dutchman wants to travel more than 100 miles in any direction he needs to know another language so is it any surprise that they speak more than one? The only "universal" language that Europe has is English so it should be no surprise that many speak that as a second language.

The most fluent linguist that I ever met was a Russian woman working as an interpreter who spoke with total fluency 11 languages, so even she could handle fewer than half the languages of Europe. Obama also doesn't realize that learning Mexican Spanish won't help you much if you travel to Spain, Venezuela, Chile, Argentina, Ecuador etc since each speak their own dialect. Once on a business trip to Venezuela I was travelling with an employee who was born and lived his early years in Chile, was married to a Chilean woman so spoke Spanish at home, thus I assumed was fluent in the language. When we arrive in Caracas he could understand less of what the customs guy was saying than I could and I never had Spanish in school, just picked up a bit travelling.

From what I see and read, Obama is either ignorant or dishonest. Maybe both.

I don't know why this is an issue. And what would change if English became the official language. Do we outlaw and lockup anyone who can't speak English. I do think all imigrants should learn English. Even though it's not official, it is the defacto standard in the US. As far as I know we still teach it as the standard language in our schools.

I know an elementry school principal in Las Vegas. The last we spoke, over half of the students in the South West border states are Spanish speakers. They were concidering hiring Spanish speaking teachers. This worries me. Our children are minorities in our own schools.

What ticks be off is when I go to an ATM and it asks if I want English or Spanish. I say that it should be English only OR it should offer the native language of every imigrant in the US.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

I appreciate cultural diversity but even in Europe as stated there is a need for a universal language. When a person crosses a border there should be no hard expecation that his native language should understood to the full. While preparing to make a presentation in Quebec I had an intern, who was fluent in French, work with me to shore-up my past high school studies. For several weeks prior to the conference we used only French for several hours in the office each day. Even with this effort I found my French background soon failed me. The locals did not seem to understand English when asked until they saw I was struggling to communicate in their language. They appreciated the fact that I was'nt the classic "Ugly American" trying to push my culture.

Problems occur when cultures fail to even attempt to assimilate into the majority culture that they've moved into. Read up on the creation of this nation and realize the numerous times the word assimilate is used by the founding fathers. They realized the necessity for
    standards and national unity.

I do deem it a personal insult when I am asked daily "to select a language" here in "Main Street America". All of our families assimilated when they arrived in America. They had no choice. They all worked and made the effort. They were proud to be American. It's time to stop coddling and giving extraordinary "Grace" to those who will not try.
    - Geary

Your experience in Quebec is somewhat the same as mine was when I moved there many many years ago. I had studied french in high school though that was 4 years before I moved yet it was not too rusty. I found I could hardly catch a word they were saying. I eventually figured out that firstly, they spoke a dialect that those in France couldn't understand and secondly they pretended that they couldn't understand english, though when they wanted something from you the english came readily enough. That was then, now after about 40 years of non-english studies in Quebec, they really can't understand or speak english. All they have is that same old quaint dialect that no one else in the world can understand. The degree to which the young of Quebec are handicapped by language is criminal. We often find them moving to Alberta where they can get a job and try to learn some english, but with no formal instruction at all in the language the best they achieve is "street english".

If the USA allows such a situation to develop they are making a very grave mistake.

My father could speak 3 languages fluently and get by with several others. English was not his first language and he became an officer in the U.S. Air Force. He was in charge of the presidential flight line on Andrews AFB from 1963-65.
    We spoke English at home. It is the language the constitution is written in.
    If I was going to live in another country I would learn the language of that country. What is wrong with that.
    I do believe that a common language is necessary for unity in this country.

Look at the problems in Canada. The French speaking Quebec doesn't feel united with the English speaking rest of the country. It wasn't that long ago that they were trying to break off on their own.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Arrowdriver, I was typing while you posted.

Unity is easier with a common language.
    Tony

In my opinion, it will not cease until a crises shall have been reached and passed. "A house divided against itself cannot stand." I do not expect the Union to be dissolved -- I do not expect the house to fall -- but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing, or all the other. -Lincoln

Also American English still hasn't been bastardized enough yet to render it useless to global understanding. Even Southern style English works quite well. (Waiting for Will and some of the Southern Gents to jump in) Hey Tony ... You're below the Mason-Dixon and I can still partially almost understand you.

C'est si bizarre

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; July 10th, 2008 at 08:36 PM.

The differences in American English across the USA are far less than the difference in British English just across Britain where some dialects are unintelligble to people from other parts of Britain. This is not unlike Austria where the German language is so diverse that towns a few kilometers apart can't understand each other. I recall sitting in a bar having lunch in a town south of Vienna and hearing a group at the next table enjoying with uproarious laughter a joke. I asked our host who was a local fellow what that joke was about and he said "I wish I could tell you since it seems very funny but I have no idea what they said, they are from the next town along the road".

BTW, I love how the southern ladies talk.

English

English is the international language. Ask any Flyer that.

I know that when you travel to other countries if you at least try to speak their language they are much more helpful. Sometimes it isn't how well you speak but how hard you try.
    Last edited by diegokid; July 10th, 2008 at 09:10 PM.

Hey Arrowdriver,

We are on the same page with that statement. I have spent many pleasant weeks in the company of Alabama ladies and must say that there are more strikingly beautiful girls in that state per square mile than I have seen in my travels around the US. They all aggressively flirt and a guy from the North starts off with a ten point advantage. Coupled with a sexy deep Southern Draawwwlllllllll it's just exemplary.
    I am proud to say that I had a long distance relationship with a seriously attractive Huntsville girl for quite a while. Ya know ... one of those wonderful things you look back on and say "what was she doing hanging about with a guy like me" ?

**** Maybe it's the car ****

- Geary

wATCHIT NOW

You fellas are a hoot. But, it is funny how we all butcher the kings english.Read recently of a shellfish allergic reaction for a customer in a eatery somewhere--miscommunicated with waiter taking order and wound up in emergency room --language problem.Now, this guy Obama--wolf playing like a sheep,punching the right buttons on everything,moving to moderates, anything they want to hear.Muslim, anti,american, insurrectionist,20 years with insurrectionist church and claims that did not influence him.Republicans won,t use his middle name just to be pol. correct.I challenged the nat. republican party to expose this guy for what he really is ,and all I get is a request for funds.I am not optimistic for our country,s future. It,s Friday-enough-all take care and GOD --please bless America.SOUTHERN GIRLS--almost forgot, I likem.Will-alabama

Amen Will!

I would be interested to know how many of our tax dollars have been spent on bi-lingual concerns. And why Spanish? It’s well known, and as pointed out here, that we also share a border with a French speaking country.
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Geary,
    That is because my mother is English.

Here's a nice pic of Obama not saying the pledge of allegiance to our Flag.

Please get the word out and make sure people know that their vote will count.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
    They all aggressively flirt and a guy from the North starts off with a ten point advantage.
    at least ten points.

You mau thnk you have a 10 point advantage but everyone knows southern guys eat more GRITS! (Girls Raised In The South)