Thread: Software Update

Software Update

I just updated the forum software. Please report any new issues. I hope there are none.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Patrick, Click on Blogs and you get a fatal error message, Sorry.

Ralph

The link on the left works now. The link at the top doesn't work from the homepage but does from everywhere else. I'm working on that.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

All of the blog links work now.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

What's a Blog

OK, for us old guys what the heck is a blog and what makes it different from what we can already do via the Forum? Seems like we can communicate just fine using the Forum so why have a Blog whatever that is? Seems like just one more unecessary place to go to have to check what people are writing. Personally, I don't see the value in complicating things unecessarily.
    Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cowing View Post
    OK, for us old guys what the heck is a blog and what makes it different from what we can already do via the Forum? Seems like we can communicate just fine using the Forum so why have a Blog whatever that is? Seems like just one more unecessary place to go to have to check what people are writing. Personally, I don't see the value in complicating things unecessarily.
    Jerry,

The BLOG is short for Web Log. Think of it as an electronic diary. The standard forum area is designed for two way communication. Members usually post questions and other members reply.

The blog system is typically a one way posting. You can use it for project updates or build updates. You can create personal catagories and post into them. Here's an example; say you want to repaint your car. Create a catagory for the paint project and post daily blogs so that others can follow along. Others can post comments if they choose.

I have integrated the blogs into the search engine so all you have to do is click on "New Posts" to see all the latest threads and blog entries at the same time.

I hope this helps.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

new post, no new post, blog or bog?

Patrick, can you tell me what i'm doing wrong. when i go to "new post" [today's says 2 new post", but clicking on it redirects to another page that says "no new post" am i not accessing the new post correctly or is is there actually no new post? it never displayed any new blogs either. sorry to ask as i'm sure your getting bombarded with questions. I'm 37 and had no clue what a blog was, but my kids expained it to me. i guess its like the "my space" site all the kids go to now days. I did go to a few mud blogs when i was younger. oh, i guess that was bogs, not blogs.
    thanks again for your help,
    Eddie

corrected version of previous post

I couldn't find the edit post option to fix my last post, so i had to saqy what i should have said in this one. i meant to state that clicking on "new post" gave me the response of no new threads to read [or something similar] I had wrote, no new post. i guess its hard for you to help me if i give you the wrong information. sorry bout that.

Quote Originally Posted by robbinsshkr View Post
    I couldn't find the edit post option to fix my last post, so i had to saqy what i should have said in this one. i meant to state that clicking on "new post" gave me the response of no new threads to read [or something similar] I had wrote, no new post. i guess its hard for you to help me if i give you the wrong information. sorry bout that.
    I'm more concerned that you didn't see the edit button. It is in the lower right corner of your post. Can you confirm that it really is missing. It should be to the left of the "Quote" botton.

The New Posts link has been working for me. It's been very quiet lately so I would expect it to report no new posts in the last 24 hours.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

MIA edit button

Patrick,
    Eddie here, both issues remain the same, there is no edit button. as far as things being quite lately, that may be true, but since i was on an hour or so ago, there showed 1 new post, i assume it was the message you wrote, but when i clicked on it, i got the same message "there are no new threads to view" well we both no better than that, because you just posted one. sorry, i don't think that is the answer you were looking. Let me know if i can do anything to help from my end.
    Eddie

Patrick, I have the edit button on my posts
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

maybe this will help

Patrick,

Do you have a fax number available? I printed the home page a page containing some post as well as a print out of the response i am getting "sorry, there are no new threads to view". I again got this message when trying to open the new post by rjacobson this morning. I thought i knew how to use the forum and a computer, at least i did a while back. anyway, if a faxed copy of what i am seeing on my end will help you, just let me know with a fax number. I took a look at the bottom of this "posting page" and under the posting rules, it reads as follows.....
    may not post new threads
    may post reply
    may not post attatchments
    may not edit post
    BB code.........on
    smiles............on
    IMG code.......on
    HTML............off
    i am logged in.
    does this info help you in any way? maybe i've stuck my finger in the wrong hole somewhere along the way and messed up my personal settings
    Eddie

Ditto the settings, I've also got the edit button once I post

Ralph
    Last edited by ralphscott; October 8th, 2008 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbinsshkr View Post
    Patrick,

Do you have a fax number available?

I don't have a fax. You can press the printscreen button to copy the desktop and then paste it into a Word document. Then email that to be at pbrown206 - at - gmail.com.

Is it true that you cannot post new threads?
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

This feature is not working, last 3 days no new posts.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    This feature is not working, last 3 days no new posts.
    Is it working now? There have been several new posts so I certainly hope so.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Thumbs up

Patrick as you no doubt notice I did post a new thread (Test) today eventhough the box said I had no privelege to do so. So it is working.

Ralph