Thread: FE Gaskets

FE Gaskets

My big block started sucking coolant last weekend, so (hopefully) it's only a gasket issue. So before I go and order something that might give me grief down the road, I need some recommendations.
    From Edelbrock's web site, they recommend for my iron block with their aluminum heads and intake to use Fel Pro gaskets. Intake #1247, Exhaust #1442, and Head #1020. The intake is their "printoseal" that I believe has a bad reputation for premature failure, especially around the water passages.
    I've got a note around here that I made sometime ago that suggested that Victor Nitroseal gaskets were the way to go (didn't write down the P/N though ).
    I don't know what gaskets were used by SA when they put it together, and I haven't called to ask. And I haven't torn into it yet either. Maybe later today or tomorrow. Got my fingers crossed it's just the intake and not the head gasket. Just need some input from you guys who have been there and done that.
    Thanks
    - Jim -
    Jim Harding
    #4279512 - SA452 - TKO600
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

SA uses a gasket easy to cut to match the ports which seems to suck the gasket from the water port into the intake runner. On my rebuild I used the regular Victor Reinz intake gasket from NAPA. I will try to find the # if you want to use the same one.
    Last edited by Naumoff; October 13th, 2008 at 02:22 AM. Reason: product name
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    SA uses a gasket easy to cut to match the ports which seems to suck the gasket from the water port into the intake runner. On my rebuild I used the regular Victor Heintz intake gasket from NAPA. I will try to find the # if you want to use the same one.
    Thanks Tony, I also got some info from the CACC site. Couldn't find a source or P/N for the Victor gaskets, but the feedback so far says to go with them.
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

I can't find the p/n doing a quick search but if you go to NAPA I am sure they can get the right ones for you. The NAPA in Waldorf has some good people working for them.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I got a few leads over on the CACC site too. From the link below I crossed the FelPro P/N's to Victor Reinz P/N's: 95159SG for the intake, 5959SC for the head, and 95032SG for the exhaust.

http://carquestgaskets.com/index_ca.asp

Neat site with good catalog and cross references.

Thanks, I'll let you know what I find. Car is still the the trailer. I've been nursing a sore back all week, so maybe by next weekend I'll have an answer to my problem.

- Jim -
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland

That looks like the # of the intake gasket I used.
    If you need a hand changing the intake gasket let me know.
    Tony

Thanks Tony, will do!
    Jim Harding
    #3004 - 302 - 4 speed
    La Plata, Maryland