Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner of 2002 Unique 427 Cobra

New owner of 2002 Unique 427 Cobra

Hi,
    I live in El Dorado Hills, 20 miles east of Sacramento in California.

I just purchased a 2002 Unique 427 Cobra that was one of the Cobras built and given away for the DIY Network "Build a Kit Car" series.

Here's some info on this Cobra:
    - Ford 302/331 roller/stroker engine rated at 435 hp
    - original Shelby 2x4 dual-four intake configuration
    - new Holley carbs
    - Ford SVO GT40 aluminum cylinder heads
    - AccuSump oil protection system
    - Aviad pan
    - remote oil cooler with stainless lines
    - Ford toploader 4-speed gearbox
    - Jaguar 3.31:1-ratio IRS
    - Compomotive wheels
    - bumper(s) upgrade
    - quad-bar trailing-arm option
    - ceramic-coated headers & sidepipes

A few questions right off the bat, if you don't mind...

1. I'd like to run my Cobra at track days with a local club (Northern CA Racing Club) and they require that all cars pass the "broomstick test."

Unfortunately, my helmet does not fit under a broomstick placed between the top of the roll bar and the top of the windshield.

Any suggestions on how to satisfy this provision?...e.g. extend current roll bar somehow, where to purchase a taller replacement bar, etc.

2. Is a removable hard top recommended? How is it connected to the Cobra? Will it interfere with the tonneau cover connectors? Does it provide protection in the event of a rollover?

3. Anyone know where I can get a copy of the DIY "Build a Kit Car" shows?

Thanks!
    Jim Millington

Here's a picture of my 2002 Unique 427 Cobra:

Thumbs up

Hello Jim!

Sorry, I'm not going to be any help on your questions. Just thought I'd tell you HI and welcome to Unique ownership and to the Unique forum. Looks & sounds like you've gotten a nice car!

ZACH
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Jim,
    I may be over stepping my boundry's a bit as i havent even actually started building my own car, but that should change in the next two weeks. from what i have learned reading these forums is that a lot of guys gain a little clearance by removing the seat tracks if they were installed during the build. they find the optimal seat location and mount it directly to the floor. not sure how much head clearence you would gain, but then again, not sure how much your needing. i have also read and seen photo's within these post that one guys had a taller roll bar incorporated during his original building at unique. sorry i cant remember his name, but doing a search may yeild the photo i'm talking about seeing. "tcolley" rings a bell for some reason, but please don't take that as the gospel as i'm shooting from the hip.as far as the dyi video, again, just from what i remember reading, i think at one time unique had some copy's available, but to be honest, that may have been a post from a few years back. i am not trying to put words in anyones mouth or offer something that doesn't exist, just stating what i think i remember reading. i would imagine you could contact the diy direct for a copy as most of the history channel, a&e, etc offer copy's of their recorded programs. i've also seen a downloadable version on the internet, but for some reason, i wasn't able to down load it. i would call or email alan @ unique motor cars and he would give you a quick and accurate answer to both question. i think he also has first hand knowledge of how well the rollbars do indeed work. again, not trying to speak out of turn, just trying to help in any way i can. great looking car! the one statement i can guarentee to be true is that unique has one of, if not the best product out there and the "unique family" is second to none! jim, i went into the members gallery and tcolley did indeed post a photo of a guy that is 6'4'' and is sitting well below the rollbar that was built for the car in the photo. i beleive it was submitted n ov 30th 2007. i am not sure, but i would imagine "extending" the roll bar may be frowned upon verses a continous, solid, unmolested piece of tubing???pehaps it can be sleeved closer towards the base??please double check, as i do know things are constantly changing and new bars are being incorporated to satisfy safety concerns, but those are drag racing examples with certain type cages needed to pass tech.
    welcome aboard,
    Eddie
    Last edited by robbinsshkr; October 21st, 2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: confirmed speculated info

Jim:

Phil Germond is over 6 feet tall and has a 427 model. He lives in Roseville and I believe his seat is mounted directly to the floor. You might want to send him an email (you can find him in the members list).

Alan reads the posts on a regular basis and I suspect he will respond to your questions shortly.

Stan
    427 Roadster #4279465
    Dutton Performance FE
    3:54/Tremec TKO 600
    Benicia, CA

Welcome to the family.

What they said.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

Last edited by clayfoushee; October 23rd, 2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: duplicate

It obviously depends upon how tall you are. I mounted my seat directly to the floor, and that wasn't enough to pass the "broomstick test." You can't easily extend the existing roll bar because the geometry changes when you add additional height.

The Weavers built me a taller roll bar. Call Unique and ask them about it. The fact is the original Cobra roll bar was never high enough for taller drivers.
    Clay

1998 Unique #9299,
    427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker)
    Top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Welcome to the forum, we can make a taller roll bar, you need to call and talk to Maurice. I Googled DIY Network Cobra Build and found the site, lots of info.

Alan

Thanks all!

The reported "family" oriented supported of Unique Motorcars products is one of the reasons I decided to go with a Unique, along of course with the quality of the product itself.

Both reputations are well earned!

I'm not real tall as I'm only 5'9" tall; I'll try mounting the seat directly to the floor, and if I need additional clearance, I'll give Maurice a call to order a taller roll bar.

Wow, I even got a response from Alan Weaver!

Cheers!
    Jim M

Welcome to the forum........scrunch down in the seat!
    Dennis M. Swann

Welcome to the insanity! Here's a link to the DIY show .

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_..._24960,00.html

Jim,

I'm tcolley and had Alan build a taller rollbar for my Unique FIA as I am 6'3" tall with a 37" sleeve length. Originally it was 6" taller than stock but we lowered it to only 4" above stock because it just didn't look quite right. However, with my seat bolted to the floor and with my helmet on...the 6" would have been better. I have to slouch down to stay below the rollbar. If I were to take the padding out of the seat it would be just about right, however, not to comfortable.

Check with Alan to see if he can build you a taller bar that will bolt in without to many alterations to the body.

Regards,

Terry
    Terry
    Viking Blue 289 Competition Model
    Southern Automotive 351W
    Tremec TKO 600 5 speed
    3:42 Limited Slip
    3-piece Compomotive 17" Pin Drives

Phil without a helmet

Add 2.5" to this...........Dangerous!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brent
    "Build em' light and wind em' tight!"
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2660122
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2659961

Sold Unique 427SC

Welcome Jim

just a swell group of like minded fellows ,you,ll find here.Good looking car.Think you will enjoy it.Will-alabama

A vintage comp seat is also an option. I put one in my car and it is very comfortable, even with only a 1/4" of padding. I did a 4 hour run one way to N.J. and had no comfort issues.

Here is a link with pictures.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/sh...ight=comp+seat
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

I like that vintage comp seat!

Where's the best place to purchase one?

How easy is it to bolt to the floor?...does it bolt to where the current rails are located?

Thanks!

Cobra Restores part # RP1004M
    http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...obra_Restorers

Or Sterling Replicars
    http://www.sterlingreplicars.com/

You can bolt directly to the floor with spacers to the front edge or as I did make a frame for it then bolt it to the floor.
    I didn't use the sliders.
    Tony

Thumbs up

Hi Jim,

As has already been said, WELCOME.

Hey, I recognize that car- I've been on many drives with it - the Nor Cal Cobra group drives and multiple years at the Western States Cobra Bash! That was Bob Haustein's car - Did you buy it from Bob?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Thanks again you'all for all the replies and greetings.
    I did not buy this Cobra from Bob, but I did buy it from the guy who bought it from Bob.

Do you have any information on this Cobra? Do you know how I can contact Stroker Bob? Kevin, the guy I bought it from, said that Bob had moved north to Seattle IIRC.

When you say the Nor Cal Cobra group, are you referring to the Nor Cal subgroup of ClubCobra? I'd like to start participating in Cobra group drives.

Thanks!
    Jim M

Duane Cooney (decooney on this forum and Club Cobra) may be able to help you contact Bob. As for the Nor Cal group - yes, "NorCal Cobras" on Club Cobra forums are one in the same.

I don't know any specifics on the car, other than the battery went dead once out on PrairieCity Road in the middle of nowhere when Duane ran out of gas.... That was back in '04 As far as I know, it's a solid car.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)