Thread: Effects of ride-height

Effects of ride-height

I had a local outfit put my car on the four-corner scale / frame to get the suspension adjusted. It looks as though they might have dropped the ride height all the way around. I'm having an issue with my back tires rubbing the inside of the fender wells in a hard corner, even with the anti-sway bar installed. It's much better, but it still rubs occasionally. Does it make any difference if the ride height is raised as long as the four corner balance is maintained?
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Ride Height

It dosn't matter where the ride height is, what does matter is the effects of lower and raising the height.

When you raise or lower the car it efects the camber big time. Lowering the car creates negative camber while raising the car creates postive camber.

Also when you raise or lower the car the car needs about 25-30 miles on it then the sway bar adjustment (netural) needs checked and adjusted as necessary.

So if they lowered the car the camber moved toward negative numbers and the allignment changed. Probably the sway bar adjustment is off too.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

I installed the sway bar long after the ride height was adjusted. I'm not certain that they lowered the car when they adjusted it because I had the tires replaced at the same time. I went from a 275/50/16 to a 295/50/16, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. Raising the ride height is about my only option as the 275s are no longer in production in the BFGs.
    427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
    427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
    Delicious example of Beauty + Power.