Thread: Moving to CT - Unique Owners

Moving to CT - Unique Owners

Thought I would throw this out and meet other Unique Owners in CT; I'm relocating and hopefully (physically) will be there around 1st Qtr of next year...

Drop me a PM as I will probably need help on the dreaded registration process....

Thanks,

Gino

gino, where in connecticut are you planning to moving to? i dont think you`ll have a problem with registration. you need a composite registration, i dont think you need an inspection if you have a state issued VIN and title from where youre located now. but i could be wrong. if you do need an inspection its not that difficult to deal with. it was for a while, but i hear theres a new inspector thats a car guy and it gotten much better. later, brian.

Brian,

right now somewhere between Middletown and East Hartford, so that side of Rt #2.

I like Hebron / East Hamption Area but still open to options... Are you near there?

Thanks

gino, good choices. theres a couple guys on this forum in that area. im located on the east side of the "notch" on the ct./mass. border about 35 miles away from where youre looking. do you work for utc/pwa? later, brian

Sorry to say Gino, you are not going to like what I have to say here. So here I go. In CT, if you are bringing an out of state car (replicas and composites only), unfortunately they will not recognize your out of state previous registration and safety inspection. This is only for composites. If it was a regular vehicle, only a VIN verification would be required.

You are going to have to transport it on a flatbed to Wethersfield, CT and go through their 200 point new composite vehicle inspection. Then, they are going to issue you a brand new CT VIN number and sticker for your car. Last I heard, they will make you register it as a 2008 composite vehicle. How that plays out in taxes and other things I don't know. If you go to the Clubcobra site, you will find a whole thread devoted to this. I researched this at length before I bought my car and at that point decided it would be best to buy a cobra already registered in CT (which is what I ended up doing). I walked into MVD and walked out a half an hour later with plates in my hand. No VIN verification, no inspection, no problems.

As far as CT locations go, I live in Southbury (that is about 45 minutes from East Hartford). I don't know where you are going to work or what is important to you as far as location, but Southbury has reasonable taxes, better than most areas in CT and has an excellent school system and low crime.

Best of luck!

Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.

thanks Dave...

I did hear of the issues in CT...

I did speak with the folks at Vintage and briefly stated since I have an EPA expemption as well as a title in Ohio (plates) I can drive the vehicle to Wethersfield and get through without any significant issues. I believe a new inspector as well as changes in composites law will help in the process...

I will keep you posted...

Thanks,

Gino

Wow, Gino, that is news to me, but then again, I have not looked at that thread over there at club Cobra for a year at least!
    I hope you are right, that would be a great thing for sure...please keep me posted!
    Dave
    Dave
    93 Unique Motorcars 427 SC, 428PI with CJ heads, toploader 4 spd,jag rear with 354 gears, Red with white stripes.