Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo

Gun rack

Alright, y'all have convinced me. I'm going to have to get a gun rack to mount to the roll bar on the Cobra.
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Pistola

The pistol is easier to mount. The 1911 is almost 100 years old and still around. I'm thinking that means ole John got it right a long time ago.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSnake View Post
    Alright, y'all have convinced me. I'm going to have to get a gun rack to mount to the roll bar on the Cobra.
    Nah... hinge the front parking lites and mount up a coupla subguns behind 'em, ala James Bond.
    Yeehah

The 1911 is great but it wasn't perfect. The ejection port was barely big enough for a spent .45 case. That makes clearing a jam not very fun. A good gunsmith can do wonders with it. I have a beautiful Colt Combat Commander that has had a lot of work done and it is a joy to shoot.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Thumbs up

In truth, the biggest problem with the (military) 1911 was the damn sights. Even good young eyes had woes finding that stupid front sight.

Stovepipe jams are good indicators of recoil spring needs.
    Yeehah

Quote Originally Posted by TurnpikeBoy View Post
    Stovepipe jams are good indicators of recoil spring needs.
    We used to really push this design to the limit. I used to be able to put four shots on target with a reload in the middle in just over 1 1/2 seconds. And that was drawn from the holster. Of course that was with my race gun. It's a Caspian 38 super wide body but based on the 1911 design. There's nothing like running a course with 18 rounds in the clip and four more on the belt .
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

Wink

Pat, either you're not married or have a wonderful wife......Caspian makes very, very fine stuff.

My first 45ACP came out of a hock shop in Denver in 1970 - $25. It looked like it had rolled around in the bilge of a ship for some time, and the barrel was almost as smooth as a shotgun's. Built in 1918, serial #417xxx, and works just fine to this day Of course, it's so loose that it's a challenge to hit the broad side of a barn at 50', but I love it still....except for those damn sights.

The jump in quality stuff in the past 10 or 12 years is amazing.
    Yeehah

I am married and my wife isn't a gun fan. Won't even pick one up.

I might have to take the Caspian to the indoor range this weekend now that I'm thinking about it.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

How sad this Texas girl had the incroachment on her second
    amendment rights so graphically illustrated. I see the honorable senator
    from New York was getting a little uncomfortable in his chair.
    The gun banners are absolutely speechless as this little Texas
    gal chews them up and spits them out. She knows what the 2nd amendment
    is really all about.
    Watch it. You will be glad you did. And pass it along.
    Here's a video that I guarantee you won't forget anytime soon!!
    She didn't cry, although she came close to losing it, and she gave those
    a reality check they dearly needed.........

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...61537893819675
    Jer

The STI and Caspian are both great examples of what the 1911 can be. My favorite though is a Briley Commander size a friend of mine won at the Texas State matches a few years back. He gave it to me for a retirement gift, best "thing" I ever had as a gift.

Yep I shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by diegokid View Post
    I'm thinking that means ole John got it right a long time ago.

If you've never been to the John Browning Museum, put it on your "TO DO" list. I guess that it's still located in the old Ogden, Utah, rail depot. His handmade prototypes and/or proof-of-concept models are absolutely amazing to look at up close & personal. Then remember that for every model produced, he had a couple more patents for concepts that were never put into full production.

I'd love to have a functioning replica of his Colt Potato Digger, just because the mechanism was so doggone unique.

Though I love the 1911, I have to say that I really love the Hi-Power. It would have been great if ol' John Moses had lived to see it all the way to fruition.
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367