Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new member 1988 Unique

new member 1988 Unique

I am just starting a partial restoration of a 1988 Unique. It has a 302, 5 speed and jag rear end. Primary current problems are some fiberglass parking cracks, rewiring and paint chips. My list also some cooling shrouds, gauge rebuilds and an e brake. I am told the car was originally a turn key and it appears that it might have had a 427 at one time. The car was originally from Pa but now lives and is registered in Ca.

Welcome to the forum. There are a couple other Uniques in CA that are in the process of undergoing face lifts and/or complete restoration. One is in the Modesto area and the other is in Roseville. Where in CA are you located?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Thumbs up Welcome....

.....aboard, Derb! Looks like you found the right place - can even get the mfgrs. to answer questions for you here.

From '88, eh? Well, at least they (previous owners) did right by the car and placed a small block back in it . Reworks must be fun - there are at least 2 others in here that are performing exorcisms on neglected/abused Uniques, so you'll have plenty of company to help out. Not including, of course, those of us who live vicariously thru re-bops like yours.

Shoot lots of pics, keep us in tune with your progress. And if it came from Pennsy, can't be all bad .

-Roger
    Yeehah

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida

Thumbs up Welcome!

You have found the Rosetta-Stone for info on your project.

As they said above, take lots of pics and keep us posted.

The folks here are a great resource, so don't sit there and .

Best of luck to you on your endeavor, and hope you real soon!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

If you want to know if the car was built by us I will need the vin#.

Alan

The car is in Camarillo Ca.. One question I have is that the car was reported to be a 1996 turn key but the build plate from Unique seems to indicate 1988. Was Unique doing turn keys in 1988?

Build plates and registration documents with VINs are not always accurate. The best way to get the complete history on the car is to provide Alan with the VIN. If you need to locate it - it is stamped on the front driver side of the frame.
    Last edited by pgermond; November 25th, 2008 at 07:22 PM.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Welcome to the show.

Sounds like a great find. Pictures would be great.
    Cobras in the ruff are cool.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

There is an aluminum plate on the passenger side foot box in the engine compartment. There was blue paint print on the plate but now all that is legible is Gadsden, Al and the stamped number 7001 above the stamped numbers 1-88

The original (and true) VIN is stamped on the top of the frame rail between the front tire and the front x-member on the driver side. Anyone can stick a plate on a car, so they are not always accurate. Once you have the original VIN, Alan can give you the history of the car.
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Quote Originally Posted by derbusa View Post
    There is an aluminum plate on the passenger side foot box in the engine compartment. There was blue paint print on the plate but now all that is legible is Gadsden, Al and the stamped number 7001 above the stamped numbers 1-88
    The 7001 should match the number stamped on the frame and the 1-88 is the date of manufacture. My car is from 1992 and this is the plate that I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Sorry but I still cannot find the frame ID. In the olden days (1988) the top of the left frame rail by the cross member was taken up by the attachment of the upper A arm. The aluminum plate on the right foot box was just a flat piece of alum that was silk screened with blue print and the numbers stamped in.

Hey Alan...... can you chime in here and help him ID this car?
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

My records show it was built in 1988 and sold to a guy in Jackson Mi, the original drivetrain was a 427 and a top loader. The car was originaly painted white and blue with a black interior and was used as a demo for shows.

Alan

Sorry for hijacking this thread but Alan, what info you do have about my Unique Cobra numbered 4279364?

Thanks!
    Jim M

Jim, you have one of 2 cars built for the DIY Network, over 2 million people were registered to win. The engine should be a 302 with around 300HP built by Southern Automotive. It has an identicle twin in Pa, the only difference is the vin#. You can search www.diynet.com and possibly get more info.

Alan

I am doing some minor glass work on the car and it appears that it was a blue car with white stripes.

It also appears that it was first registered in Pa. as it has a Pa DMV tag.

The car currently has a 302 installed but I suspected a 427 lived there at one time as there are reminants of motor mounts etc.

Is there any way I could get a copy of what the pre1989 blue printed aluminum plate with the chassis # on it looked like? I would like to restore this along with the rest of the car.

1989 Tag

I have posted a photo of the ID tag on my 1989 Unique to show what it did and should look like. Not too sure how to move photos around here but hope you can find it.

Leigh

Thanks Alan!

I was told it was one of the DIY cars, but its great to have confirmation from the source.

A previous owner (Stroker Bob) upgraded the motor with a 331 stroker kit, GT40 aluminum heads, dual quads, and a race cam, and it recently (12/1/08) was dyno'd at about 380 hp at the crank.

And welcome derbusa!
    Glad to hear you are restoring a Unique!
    Post some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post
    Jim, you have one of 2 cars built for the DIY Network, over 2 million people were registered to win. The engine should be a 302 with around 300HP built by Southern Automotive. It has an identicle twin in Pa, the only difference is the vin#. You can search www.diynet.com and possibly get more info.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by arrowdriver View Post
    I have posted a photo of the ID tag on my 1989 Unique to show what it did and should look like. Not too sure how to move photos around here but hope you can find it.

Leigh
    I didn't get the photo. Where could I look for it?