Thread: Zerk fitting question

Zerk fitting question

I've searched both this site and the internet, and I have a question that I can't find the answer to.

The answer is probably so obvious that it's never specifically addressed...

The Question: How much grease do you pump into a zerk fitting?...i.e. how do you know when you've pumped in enough grease?

Thanks!
    Jim M

Jim,
    General rule is "pump grease in until it pushes some of the old grease out". Of course this only works if you have a visual on the part that is getting greased.............
    Keith
    Keith

Thanks Keith.
    Now I'm heading out to the garage to pump some grease into the Cobra!

Jim,
    Not sure where you are greasing, but you may want to know that Unique replaces the bearing sets in the Jag rear ends with nylon bushings that do not need the same grease amount that the needle bearings in the original suspension uses. A thin film during assembly should be sufficient for ongoing operation. There is a zerk fitting in the bottom of the rear suspension upright that goes to a hollow cavity that would take about a half tube of grease to fill!

As I think about our Unique Cobras, the front spindles and spicer joints are good candidates for lubrication. As a general rule I would agree with Keith on the application of grease. My opinion, the suspension pivots on these cars (especially for how much they are driven) should not require the 'grease it till it comes out' treatment.
    Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA - 351W with 8 stack EFI - Formerly known as the "Legendary Spence Car"