Thread: Gas prices

Gas prices

I paid $1.44 per gallon today. I need to get a tanker and fill it up now.

$1.49 here in Roseville, Someone explain to me why the oil companies don't need $4 + anymore???
    Rod
    Roseville, Ca.
    289 FIA #9152 "The Flintstone Cobra"

Still $1.55 in Harrisburg, PA.

Now is the time to minimize your gas use and keep the oil glut going.

-Geary
    Last edited by Aggressor; December 15th, 2008 at 04:52 PM.

The low price of fuel is the only bright spot now-a-days, but I'm willing to bet that we will be paying for this temporary dip in spades before long.... either through increased taxes, inflation, or supply-n-demand as the world economies recover. These are the good ol' days revisited, but it is going to get ugly again
    Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    FE Specialties FE
    3:31 and Toploader (wide ratio)

Roseville (N.Cal)

Amazing

Isn't it amazing, oil under $50.00 a barrel, truth is they have us over the barrel. We got a hose job this past year on the fuel issue and then the bailout BS!!! Bend over a wait for it in 2009.
    Rick
    427 S/C , 427 Side-oiler, 4 Speed Close Ratio Top Loader, 3:73 Gear

Rick-Phil

likely right,pipelines, terminals here are the same as they were 40 yrs. ago. The culprit, new york mercantile market--buy a tanker of crude over there and sell it to the highest bidder somewhere in the world.Americans dropped driving by 78 billion miles in last few months as well driving down demand.Notice also russia has been sliding around cozing up to those with oil to sell trying to get a contract on their oil ,a long term plan to control oil.I really think this is what got us into Iraq, oil. The russian oil giant almost had a deal with Saddam which would have given them a giant step putting a noose on oil around the world.Cozing to Brazil and Venezuela now for oil.Free market is still alive though, and mercantilemarket speculators are at work buying anything of value and reselling where there is a higher market.Mercantile market guys have their counterparts in London doing same thing.Not one thing here has changed with pipelines and terminals, just price of the product.So has to be the middlemen speculators to a great extent.Will-alabama

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    Bend over a wait for it in 2009.

That's for sure.
    Patrick Brown
    Forum Administrator

it may be worth a phone call

I'm not sure if it would work for any of you, but I'm in the trucking business and buy ALOT of fuel.[last year we spent about 2 million] We buy in bulk for our yard tanks when we can, but then you get nailed on fuel taxes by the majority of our fuel being purchased in a single state. each state that we run through wants us to purchase enough fuel to run those miles traveled through their state. We get penalized if not. due to the recent high fuel prices[deisel is still over priced] we were still better off buying the cheaper fuel and paying the penalty. what i'm getting at in a round about way is.........If oppertunity allows, talk to your local supplier or co-op, even if you don't have any bulk storage tanks. most of them, or at least the ones i deal with allow us to "lock in" today's price if we commit to a certain amount of gallons. I have two 10,000 gallon tanks, which we fill up 2 to 3 times / week, plus what we are forced to buy out on the road. we run coast to coast, but a truck can only run about 1500 miles before refueling [300 gallon tanks]. I don't know if there is a minimum amount to purchase, but I do know it can be a lot less than the amount I have to buy as alot of the local farmers also lock in their price too. Of course the down side is locking in your price, just to watch it drop .20 to .30 / gallon in the next week or so. been there and done that! its like everything else, its a gamble. to make things worse, we get a fuel surcharge from some of our larger customers. the f/s is based on the national average of every states prices. although it helps, its a far cry from offsetting the increased amount, but when the fuel surchage is based on the national average of 2.00 / gallon and you've just locked in a commitment for 2.65 / gallon, it tends to put you in a bad mood. Everything to do with trucking seems to put me in a bad mood these days.
    It's a struggle!
    sorry to be long winded, but it may be worth your time to call your local co-op or distributor.
    thanks,
    Eddie